Dove opener

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Was a great day. Going back tomorrow. Had a lot of fun, was a private farm south of raleigh down 40 a little. Great group of people the family that had it has 4 generations there in the field. Slow mid day one of the guys went to pick up chicken for.lunch then we went back at it and hunted to about 630. Several limits. One side of the field at the tree row always does good, but it is in the sun and sometimes hard to find birds. We sit under and around a few trees with the field around us easy to find birds. Not far from a ATV so big coolers with anything needed and nice chairs.

valetroutfisherman

Ten Pointer
First time at Hunting Creek Preserve yesterday for a 12pm hunt. (That was nice, got to sleep in) Got there about 9:30, safety brief, site rules about 11:30.
They had several different fields, my SIL and I were in the field behind the club house. Got to our position about 11:59. Jumped about 6 birds at the wood line, where my position was at. Slow from about 12-4. Had some singles come about 1 or 2 an hour.
No clouds, no shade. Even though temps were good and a breeze every so often. Still a hot one baking in the sun. It was a cut hay field with about 2 rows of millet and or sorghum. No corn, no sunflower about a 10 acre field with 15 postions on it.
It picked up pretty good from 4-6:30. The birds came into the field from all different, giving us all some shots. Pretty fun, we both ended up with 3 each. Missed some due to poor shooting, taking a leak, on our phone, or eating snacks.
Definitly worth the $100.
They would drive around with drinks and snacks, even got us an Arby's sandwhich and a cigar.
ee7e1bde482753f1623004d26deab040.jpg
bce2fa3bbcafc81e36aa0e9a45cf63c9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Kinda slow. Brought my daughter, ended up with 12 between the two of us. She did a lot more shooting then hitting but she did kill 2. Could have limited if I shot better in the morning. Couldn’t hit water if I fell outa a boat! A little rusty.

Had a great time, awesome weather!

mj1angier

Four Pointer
I hunted Corpington Bridge land and had 12 by about 10:30. Packed my little wagon up, walked back to the cabin for a shower and a nap. Will do it again on the 19th but might not as many hunters to keep birds moving.

I thought I was going to be a shooting god yesterday- 1 bird flew straight at me, dropped it with first shot, walked 5 ft to pick it up...took ten shells to get the next bird :p

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Anyone else out today? Got to the Croatan fields about 4:45 this morning to claim my spot

smilliganqb

Eight Pointer
Anyone else out today? Got to the Croatan fields about 4:45 this morning to claim my spot

I'm out in uhwarrie, tried a different spot this morning at birkhead wilderness. Only one here currently. 52* degrees has me ready for deer season!

valetroutfisherman

Ten Pointer
I hunted Corpington Bridge land and had 12 by about 10:30. Packed my little wagon up, walked back to the cabin for a shower and a nap. Will do it again on the 19th but might not as many hunters to keep birds moving.

I thought I was going to be a shooting god yesterday- 1 bird flew straight at me, dropped it with first shot, walked 5 ft to pick it up...took ten shells to get the next bird :p
Well there will be at least 2 more of us out there with you on the 19th. Hopefull there will be some birds left after 2 more hunt days there. Maybe the 1 week bresk will help and more birds come in.

johnnyk2000

Eight Pointer
I am 4 for 40 this afternoon. The stuffed pork chops for lunch must have messed up my eyes

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Had a wonderful day yesterday. Birds flew pretty much all day. Several limits were had including my 11 year old on his first solo hunt. I just drove by the field a few minutes ago and about 150 birds got up so tomorrow should be good as well.
You put the time , money and effort in that definitely helps to have a successful hunt. Kudos to you Zac and congrats to your son.

Winkster

Button Buck
I saw one of the worst things I've seen while dove hunting. A couple guys nearby shot a hawk. I had thoughts of calling the warden but the guys were totally surprised when they saw the downed bird was not a dove. I don't think they shot it maliciously. Some people should just not be hunting if they can't tell the difference.
Probably recent graduates of the Hunter Education Course. :)

Winkster

Button Buck
S
We'll be out at Hunting Creek Preserve in Harmony, this morning. Check in is at 10am.
Nice cool morning. Was nice to sleep in this morning.

[/Q
So how did you do?
I've shot skeet there but never signed up for the Dove Hunt. The Rennegars are good folks. About 7 years ago I shot in a field close to Hunting Creek Preserve, they slew them that day.