Dove opener live

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
This went full circle....my first dove hunt when I was 14 was with a fox sterling worth 16....
I bought one last year and this is my first year hunting with it. That thing will straight blast a bird, just have to get used to 2 triggers again.
PXL_20210904_130751976.jpg

Also hunted with my Ithaca 37 and when the birds got high, broke out the Benelli. Had fun but not alot of birds flying.
PXL_20210904_133735335.jpg

My take:
PXL_20210904_133651121.jpg

What the Benelli will do to a high bird....crashed like a meteor
PXL_20210904_131356275.jpg

haywoodhunter

Eight Pointer
We had a great time this morning. No limits but lots of laughs. Had a guy back behind us that killed nearly every bird that fell within sight. At least that's what he was telling the whole field. At one point he was loudly exclaiming about how tired he was getting from doing all the walking he was doing retrieving "his" doves.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
et me help you with context...
"Very slow" means you sat in the field all day, saw two doves and did not fire your gun. You can try this at many NCWRC game lands.
"was able to limit out" means it was not "very slow".

I disagree, I've been ruined by dove hunts in the past when covey of 10-20 birds would come in at a time. Slow is I see a bird or two every 5 minutes and a shooter every 10 to 15, which is how it was yesterday. There was a good 30 minute run and if I was a powerline shooter I could have swatted 5 or so with my first shot, but I'm not.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Had a great day with friends.
That is all I need for a good hunt.

Lots of talk, no one drinking, some birds.... it was OK for birds but lot of slow time. Went to eat BBQ mid day and returned to kill a few more birds. Maybe 8 or 9 for me.
Finished the day with a dinner and time with great friends.

Could not ask for much more.

I hear a few fields around us got busted big time. They never learn not to put corn in a field that has no corn planted. And bird seed is also a no go!

BJordan

Eight Pointer
My small field netted 48 birds in hand from 4 shooters. Was a great day with family and friends. Birds were thick in the morning and slowed down in the afternoon.

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
Hunted with papasmurf on a paid hunt. Had an absolute blast with friends and family. Had another buddy join us and it was only his second hunt. Glad to say he is hooked. The birds flew great but due to the lay of the land were flying super low which made them too dangerous to shoot at. Could have hit several with a tennis racket. All in all it was a great day. Looking forward to tomorrow morning as well!

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Let me help you with context...
"Very slow" means you sat in the field all day, saw two doves and did not fire your gun. You can try this at many NCWRC game lands.
"was able to limit out" means it was not "very slow".
I’m normally pretty fortunate on dove fields. Very seldom do I not limit within first hour of light. This year with all going on with family I got behind on my fields. Field that had birds went dry with storm.

I actually went on invite hunt in morning and we sat until 9:30 and 9 of us only got 44 birds. I went back yesterday afternoon in a fresh cutover (which I’ve never tried before) and finished my limit. Saw birds there last week hanging a stand.

I know it’s tough on guys that hunt game lands. But I work hard to have good dove fields and get rewarded for my work.