Dove Numbers

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I've been seeing a good many dove show up around Catawba County over the last few weeks.

Went by the farm today during lunch to throw out some corn in front of the new tacticam. Saw 20-30 dove fly out in front of the truck in the field I plan to hunt (not mowed since early June). Got to the woods and saw another dozen fly when I shut the truck door.

What are yall seeing in your areas?

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
We’ve got a couple wheat stubble fields that are holding some birds, but who knows if they’ll still be here when it matters.

Ceehawk37

Ten Pointer
They are thick in the fields around my place in Fairfield Co. SC. There’s a number of fields with sunflowers that are holding good numbers. Going to go scout a few public fields next week to see which are the best bet for the opener. Still a little ways to go so hoping the numbers stay like they are and we get to knock some down.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
Yeah I wish opening weekend was 2nd week in August. Always see tons of birds then they disappear by Labor Day Weekend

timber

Twelve Pointer
Havent seen any big numbers but sprayed a few of the sunflowers with roundup last weekend. See some seeds dropping last day or so since the plants dying and a few more doves

valetroutfisherman

Ten Pointer
Well, I will be at John's River for opening day. Will check it out this weekened
You'll probably have a good hunt at John's River opening day. We put in for permits at the Loop Road and Corp Bridge. But shanked it. We drew the 18th at Loop road. Pretty sure the dove will be beat down and skered by then. Last year we drew 2 days at Corpening Bridge. Had a good time. Went for lunch @ Carolina Smoke Legendary BBQ. ON 181 and Spainhour rd. That was good too.

valetroutfisherman

Ten Pointer
Got draw email today. Got 5th option for John’s River 9/18. Must be a lot of folks applying this year
We drew the 18th also on Loop road. Where did you draw @. We found out where we stood on the draw about 7am on the 11th. On the site. Well at least we drew a permit. But may suck just as well.

jparsons14

Four Pointer
We drew the 18th also on Loop road. Where did you draw @. We found out where we stood on the draw about 7am on the 11th. On the site. Well at least we drew a permit. But may suck just as well.
We are at the bridge! Hopefully we can keep them stirred up for each other.. that is if there are any dove left. We hunted Labor Day last year and there were a fair amount of birds but people sky busting like crazy.. one group shot a wood duck thinking it was a dove 🤦🏻‍♂️

valetroutfisherman

Ten Pointer
We are at the bridge! Hopefully we can keep them stirred up for each other.. that is if there are any dove left. We hunted Labor Day last year and there were a fair amount of birds but people sky busting like crazy.. one group shot a wood duck thinking it was a dove 🤦🏻‍♂️
Last year we were at the Bridge on the last Saturday. Didnt limit but got some birds. Had a flock of woods fly from river in a big loop back to river. We were on field fartherest fron the bridge

mj1angier

Four Pointer
I got 9/4 on Corp Bridge and so did a buddy. I checked field this weekend- They planted a bunch of corn in the field across from us (second parking lot) but have not cut much of anything. They have some overgrown areas that they have cut a boarder around field. Saw maybe 10-15 bird in about 30 min around 10:00. I think they will cut some more the closer we get to opening day.

Side note: we floated down the Johns river from Playmore to Corp Bridge in tubes on Sat and just 3 different groups of wood ducks. Water was a little low so dragged butt a bit. 6hr trip

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
I've been seeing a good many dove show up around Catawba County over the last few weeks.

Went by the farm today during lunch to throw out some corn in front of the new tacticam. Saw 20-30 dove fly out in front of the truck in the field I plan to hunt (not mowed since early June). Got to the woods and saw another dozen fly when I shut the truck door.

What are yall seeing in your areas?

I’m in Raleigh suburbs and usually seeing more than i have lately (although I feel like they’ve been blown out by tropical storms the last 10 years). I feel like i saw more a month ago than I’m seeing now.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I would say we've got more than we usually do this time of year. Hard to say if that will translate to opening day.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
It’s been my experience that if a field is holding birds a couple of weeks before the opener, then they should still be there later provided a tropical system doesn’t blow them out or the food source changes or dries up. The first few cold fronts (cool fronts) don’t seem to push birds out or bring new ones in this time of year. I really notice new birds once the cold starts setting in for good, usually in November. Not saying they don’t migrate sooner, just not in significant enough numbers to get my attention. By the time the season rolls back around again in mid December, we’re definitely looking at new birds.