Dove hunting on game lands

trjr3700

Button Buck
Due to a variety of reasons, I will be hunting a game land on opening day of dove season. On private property, we usually take a more leisurely approach to starting time. On a game land (not limited by draw permits), should I suck it up and arrive before sunrise?

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
depends,,,you hunting a game lands managed dove field,,,or hunting them "wild"? if dove field, what homebrewale said,,,

me,,,I'll be hitting a few spots where I expect I can find some,,,dusting areas,,,ponds,,,,feeding areas,,,have some scouted out

I gave up most "dove fields" until after the first week/10 days,,,,let the crowds thin some,,,,

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
Prime spots will be gone way before day light.

Last time I hunted opening day on game lands we were there before 5 and it was hard to find a spot. When we were leaving at 12:30 there were people lined up on the road you had to walk to the field waiting to get a chance to get into the field still that got there right after first light

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
We hunt the same draw hunt every year and if your not there at 4 you are in the “cheap seats”.

And if y’all think it’s bad here this is opening day SC last year.
f475dfb46ca58c8d45782f4c42f30a27.jpg

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
last year we hunted a cut field and ended up calling in our buddies to keep the birds flying, hard for 2 guys to keep a 200 acre field full of birds flying

If you run into that problem again, you just give me a shout. I’ll bring the dog for downed birds too. ?

ditto! though it would have to be to-from a trip,,,ain't going that far for dove (normally)

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
If you run into that problem again, you just give me a shout. I’ll bring the dog for downed birds too. ?
ditto! though it would have to be to-from a trip,,,ain't going that far for dove (normally)
its 4 hours from wnc to where i dove/deer hunt. woodmoose would be closer than wncdeerhunter. Wncdeerhunter we have had permission from some dairy farmers in haywood, but they never seem to cut silage at a good time for dove hunting.

nckeith

Ten Pointer
We hunt the same draw hunt every year and if your not there at 4 you are in the “cheap seats”.

So I've often argued against purchasing land for hunting since it would be expensive relative to the cost of out of state hunts and game lands. This picture has me reconsidering my stance if this is 1)real and 2) the future of outdoor pursuits in NC.
No way I'd be in that mess.

trjr3700

Button Buck
Thanks for all the replies. I can tell you, if I see a crowd like that, I'll head home and go fishing.

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
So I've often argued against purchasing land for hunting since it would be expensive relative to the cost of out of state hunts and game lands. This picture has me reconsidering my stance if this is 1)real and 2) the future of outdoor pursuits in NC.
No way I'd be in that mess.

Oh it’s real here is another pic. I wasn’t there I was on a private field in NC with a gentleman’s limit by 9am
ed84b7877112d19b1f192e137b09092d.jpg

Last edited:

zbrady

Four Pointer
Due to a variety of reasons, I will be hunting a game land on opening day of dove season. On private property, we usually take a more leisurely approach to starting time. On a game land (not limited by draw permits), should I suck it up and arrive before sunrise?
Definitely get there early. I hunt the Pee Dee River fields, and I try to be the first one in. Last year people were still walking in when we left at 1130. Most people who get there after 7 sit at the entrance to the field and wait for the crowds to thin out.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
Only been to Jordan GL but my experience is very few birds.....I also dont go there opening day.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I've seen less pressure at the three or four different game lands I've hit up opening morning than I have on pay fields. Scout a few days ahead of time early to see their flight patterns. There are often a handful of "likely" spots but a few that are really great. Like a pay hunt.

The other option would be to sleep in and walk in around 1 or 2 in the afternoon. because people will go home.

trjr3700

Button Buck
Again, I appreciate all the feedback.

Drove out to Second Creek GL this a.m. to check the conditions. Fields off of Lyerly Road have been cut (corn) and look good. The other fields (Graham Rd and White/Goodnight Rd.) look to be planted with beans (soybeans) which have not been harvested and probably will not until later in the fall.

I'm in Winston Salem and trying to figure out the best option for opening day - Second Creek, Perkins, or Caswell - all roughly (+/- 30 min) the same distance.

Any experience with these gamelands?

Hazmt

Six Pointer

WOW! - I am spoiled to have our family farm. Our problem has been low numbers of birds (even planting millet, sorghum etc...)

Tristanflanagan

Button Buck

Drove out to Second Creek GL this a.m. to check the conditions. Fields off of Lyerly Road have been cut (corn) and look good. The other fields (Graham Rd and White/Goodnight Rd.) look to be planted with beans (soybeans) which have not been harvested and probably will not until later in the fall.

I'm in Winston Salem and trying to figure out the best option for opening day - Second Creek, Perkins, or Caswell - all roughly (+/- 30 min) the same distance.

Any experience with these gamelands?
Hunted Perkins a lot and its hit or miss. Going to try to get out there to check the fields this week.
Just came back from checking the fields at caswell and they've only cut a few strips in the fields and thats it. Pretty disappointing. I'm going to email/call tomorrow to see if they plan on cutting it this week and hope for the best. Theres a decent amount of birds their just no where to drop them. I live in Winston Salem too.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns

Get uyou a few buddies to spread an online disinformation campaign about how the one you don't intend to hunt is loaded to the gills, etc, to reduce pressure :censored:

buzzbait

Button Buck
Brick house rd is where we usually go. Not sure about this year since in comes in on Monday

Last edited: