Dove Hunting by Buildings

NC-Ratler

Four Pointer
New to dove hunting but if I set up decoys in a tilled field 50 yards from a large barn, will they come in or be more skittish? Thx

NC-Ratler

Four Pointer
One last question, do you need to use steel shot for dove hunting? I don't see anywhere where it says lead is ok to use? Thanks again.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
One last question, do you need to use steel shot for dove hunting? I don't see anywhere where it says lead is ok to use? Thanks again.
A lot of federal lands require steel shot. And generally speaking everything is legal unless it is specified that it is not. LE cannot cite you without a General Statute code that is recorded on your ticket.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
How about electronic calling for doves.
If the book doesn't say it is illegal then it most likely isn't.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I literally open up my barn doors and sit just inside the barn with a 60” fan blowing in me and my dog. I have a 100’ cable from my barn to my pole shed with a couple decoys on it. Limits in 30 mins or less...........

NC-Ratler

Four Pointer
Darkthirty, you encouraged me to put in a second pumpkin patch behind the barn. A cold beer and mustard venison pastrami sandwich after the hunt will be right there waiting in the fridge.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Shot many a dove at my neighbors house growing up where we would sit at a farm building with a slanted over hanging roof and just step out real quick and kill em. also killed lots growing up walking tobacco fields during mid day.jumping them up.

Last edited: