Dove Field Prep/Planting

JayDB

Eight Pointer
Had intentions to prep field for planting sunflowers for the upcoming dove season about 4-6 weeks ago, but life got in the way. As a result of having to get something in the ground late that will "mature" in time for opening day (of dove season), I am/will be planting German Millet. I mowed the field I am planting, disked, then tilled the ground. Weather permitting I plan to hit regrowth with Roundup this weekend, then plant and cover the seed the following weekend (6/9 or 6/10).

Photos are of the field after tilling. The portion of the field I am planting is 3 acres.

Attachments

• foos_plot2.jpg
    foos_plot2.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 63
  • foos_plot.jpg
    foos_plot.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 56

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Looks like a good spot. Post a few updates here through the growing season.

Millet is a good backup plan when the sunflowers don’t work out.

ABolt

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Some of the best dove shoots I've been part of have been over millet. You will likely do just as well as sunflowers - good luck!

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
We had a helluva shoot one year on. My buddies place. His fields bordered a road that was dirt and the state paved it then planted browntop millet on the shoulders. Then the state mowed the shoulders. We shot several limits.

JayDB

Eight Pointer
I sprayed the dove field with Glyphosate Wednesday to kill regrowth. I planted 150 pounds of German Millet yesterday.

The dirt was very dry. Forecast calling for rain tomorrow (hopefully, that'll get the millet off to a good start!).

JayDB

Eight Pointer
Planted millet field after 3 weeks

Attachments

• E168B9A7-A7D0-442C-A8DA-20F97CB0F5E8.jpeg
    E168B9A7-A7D0-442C-A8DA-20F97CB0F5E8.jpeg
    214.3 KB · Views: 74
  • F6BE9785-895D-4D86-9CBF-11F2030E1D24.jpeg
    F6BE9785-895D-4D86-9CBF-11F2030E1D24.jpeg
    249.3 KB · Views: 75

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I reckon I'll plant my field about August 25th,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I find at that time of the year it's much better to just bushhog the field and broadcast the seed, it has a much better chance of success. You can expect a good harvest from that particular method of planting at that time of year and sometimes cracked corn comes up just as good as wheat or milo at that time of year.

JayDB

Eight Pointer
Photo taken 7/29 - roughly 50 days after planting. Seed pods have formed. Still has about 2-3 weeks to fully mature. Should be about right for opening day of dove season.
IMG_2052.jpg

JayDB

Eight Pointer
Probably wait another 1-1.5 weeks before mowing some of it.

Going to cultivate a few rows as well (so the doves have clean ground).

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Photo taken 7/29 - roughly 50 days after planting. Seed pods have formed. Still has about 2-3 weeks to fully mature. Should be about right for opening day of dove season.
View attachment 19283

If you have a hayrake or can borrow one, bushhog it and let it dry 3-4 days. Rake it back and forth a couple times and that seed will fall off the head. In a perfect world, rake it and burn the windrows.

JayDB

Eight Pointer
Mowed quite a bit of my dove field today. Cultivated rows also - for ex- mowed 4 rows together, tilled middle two rows, mowed 3 rows together, cultivated center row. Mowed east to west and
north to south.

Fourty-five minutes after mowing and right before tilling, 6 turkeys were in the field feeding.
A3B5E706-976C-4C46-89BD-C5E7D7517B79.jpeg646BB2D3-526B-43CD-8364-E557AEAB214C.jpeg