DOT guys

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
What's the solution for seepage on the new bypass around greenvile? Lots of water oozing through the cracks. Would this also allow the sand under the concrete to step out weakening the concrete? You can see the wet road from so much water leaking.

Attachments

• 20190808_135952.jpg
    20190808_135952.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 107

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I would say that I would doubt DOT would be concerned with a bit of seepage. It may very well have been designed that way. And no, light seepage should not move soils to the extent of losing structural integrity.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
^ I'm well aware of the power of water, as well as other natural occurrences by Mother Nature. Flowing water is a different animal that standing or seeping. Seeping water actually has a tendency to move minute particles to the point of sealing the subgrade. There are materials and processes we utilize to accomplish this in certain situations.

nontypical

Ten Pointer
Shaggy I saw what you were talking about today. The seepage I don’t see being a problem. The borrow fill material we use around here is sand. Until the grass is established and the top layer silts over water is gonna work its way through those approaches. However I agree that the standing water is a problem. It looks like they have another lift of asphalt to put down and then maybe they could do a little grading work or maybe utilize a paved valley gutter. Something needs to be done! Especially before freezing temperatures come along.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
This post reminds me of the construction on Bus 40 between Kville and WS.. There is one section of new pavement under a overpass that is like riding a roller coaster.
It's aggravating but a bit comical to me, to the professional drivers and loads I imagine that they have another opinion of that contractor's work.
Sad when 20 year old work is better than brand new.

nontypical

Ten Pointer
Barnhill is building this road. They are as good as it gets around here for heavy civil work in my opinion. I trust they will leave a good finished product.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
This post reminds me of the construction on Bus 40 between Kville and WS.. There is one section of new pavement under a overpass that is like riding a roller coaster.
It's aggravating but a bit comical to me, to the professional drivers and loads I imagine that they have another opinion of that contractor's work.
Sad when 20 year old work is better than brand new.

That has been driving me batty for several years now. I questioned that and the response was that DOT had removed the surface rideability from contracts. If the asphault compound, depth and compaction met specs, it couldn't be failed if it didn't ride well. I don't think that has been put back in the contract language yet...

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Barnhill is building this road. They are as good as it gets around here for heavy civil work in my opinion. I trust they will leave a good finished product.

Barnhill has done a good job with their projects but I have noticed their quality seems to be falling off from what it once was. I personally feel they have grown too quickly and cannot attract enough qualified construction employees to keep up with all they have going on.