Don't see this every day

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I would think an elastic collar would end up hanging on a stick, and coming off as the animal backed out
You’d think right. Haha. My buddy had a doe and I bet he bought 25 over the time she was alive. Sometimes she’d go 2-3 months and not lose it and sometimes it seemed she’d lose 3 a week. She lived to be 4 and ended up getting ran over about a mile from his house.

timber

Twelve Pointer
Putting collar on one isn’t much of issue. When you raise them from a fawn they will follow you around like a calf that you raised on a bottle.

LDG

Twelve Pointer
Just a follow up on "Daisy". Saturday morning going in to hunt a gasline, she stopped us in the road about 1/2 mile from where we were hunting. Took a few minutes to get around her. We drove on in and went to our blinds about 200 yards from the truck. Less than 5 minutes later my buddy heard something and guess who stuck her head in the blind? She spent all morning there laying around, eating corn, and getting head rubs.

Attachments

• 20221119_055117.jpg
    20221119_055117.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 806.jpeg
    806.jpeg
    106.3 KB · Views: 60

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Putting collar on one isn’t much of issue. When you raise them from a fawn they will follow you around like a calf that you raised on a bottle.
one of the fishing stars on TV has one that climbs into his boat.
when we see other collared pets in the woods (likely illegal for them to be roaming) most dont consider shooting them.
Yet an obviously tame deer (how else you gonna collar it?) is considered a candidate for shooting?
I really do not understand that logic at all. OMDV.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I couldn't shoot a collared doe and wouldn't shoot a collared buck unless he seemed aggressive. Lots of people have been killed or seriously injured by bucks that lost their fear of humans. I quit hunting a property due to the neighbor hand feeding the deer. We hunted together at a club miles away. I was telling him about a buck I saw one Sunday, before Sunday hunting, he said yah I can get within feet of him but that's it. Well, that was the end of that. I didn't knowingly want to hunt deer I knew were accustomed to people. Just didn't feel right, even though the buck did change course to avoid me when he got a wiff of me.

one of the fishing stars on TV has one that climbs into his boat.
when we see other collared pets in the woods (likely illegal for them to be roaming) most dont consider shooting them.
Yet an obviously tame deer (how else you gonna collar it?) is considered a candidate for shooting?
I really do not understand that logic at all.
Let me try to explain the logic. It is a deer not a pet. All I see is meat not a pet. If you would shoot the deer without the collar then why wouldn't you shoot one with. Shoot the dam deer! Hope this clears it up for you. LOL!

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Let me try to explain the logic. It is a deer not a pet. All I see is meat not a pet. If you would shoot the deer without the collar then why wouldn't you shoot one with. Shoot the dam deer! Hope this clears it up for you. LOL!
Many uncollared animals get shot when they come thru the woods
The collars indicate someone might have an interest in that collared animal living.
No need to shoot one of those plenty of uncollared targets around. YMMV
Shoot the dam deer isn’t a factor for me at all collared or not.

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I've been supplementally feeding the deer around the house every day for 30+ years. I don't hunt here and don't allow anyone else to, though the land near mine gets hunted. Ten years ago, one of the Does I knew well was killed up by the road. Her 6 week old fawn was unharmed, but the doe fawn started getting picked on by older deer. One of her aunts looked after the fawn and allowed her to travel together with her fawn. Since the fawn only knew to trust me (her mother brought her at a young age), I'd let the young doe eat as much as she wanted out of the feed bucket. Most deer don't get within 40 feet (or 50 yards) of me, though a few will eat from my hand. (I called her Leila after a friend) She trusted me and got to where I could pull ticks off her ears and comb the mites off her with a flea comb. She's still a wild deer and goes wherever she wants, whenever she wants. Leila just knows that I will always offer safety and comfort at my place. I didn't put a collar on her because she's not mine.

Six years ago, Leila had a buck fawn in the back yard and brought him up to me when he was less than 2 hours old(!). Since fawns are born with no scent, I knew not to touch him, but I let him smell my hand so he'd know who I was. As he was sniffing me, I thought how cool it was that he'd know me longer than anything on the planet except his mother. The fact that Leila trusted her newborn fawn with me is also pretty exceptional. He'd hang out around the house (he had a favorite shady spot to bed near some rocks, so I called him Rocky) and he would wait for me to come home from work most days. He'd follow me around like a puppy as I watered the clover patch & fed the rest of the deer. He considered me part of the herd and started trying to spar with me when he grew older and got his first rack. I couldn't turn my back to him for fear of him trying to come at me. Shortly after he polished the velvet off his antlers, things changed. He didn't hang out as much and was late coming around to eat some days. I could tell by the look in his eyes and his behavior that he was about to leave. I saw less and less of him. One day in late September he stopped coming around and went to seek his own turf. I have no idea where he went or what became of him, but it sure was a blast being a part the first 17 months of that buck's life. I hope he reached maturity, ended up gracing someone's table, or better yet, ended up being someone's buck of a lifetime. I have some pictures of Rocky I'll add next week.

Wild Turkeys also show up at my place in Spring & Summer. I love watching them and learning from their behavior.

I feel like since I take from somewhere, I need to give back somewhere too.

Jim

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
That’s a great story cutnrun. Something very special indeed. My 94 yr old grandfather has a couple he feeds in his yard in lake Norman

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
I've been supplementally feeding the deer around the house every day for 30+ years. I don't hunt here and don't allow anyone else to, though the land near mine gets hunted. Ten years ago, one of the Does I knew well was killed up by the road. Her 6 week old fawn was unharmed, but the doe fawn started getting picked on by older deer. One of her aunts looked after the fawn and allowed her to travel together with her fawn. Since the fawn only knew to trust me (her mother brought her at a young age), I'd let the young doe eat as much as she wanted out of the feed bucket. Most deer don't get within 40 feet (or 50 yards) of me, though a few will eat from my hand. (I called her Leila after a friend) She trusted me and got to where I could pull ticks off her ears and comb the mites off her with a flea comb. She's still a wild deer and goes wherever she wants, whenever she wants. Leila just knows that I will always offer safety and comfort at my place. I didn't put a collar on her because she's not mine.

Six years ago, Leila had a buck fawn in the back yard and brought him up to me when he was less than 2 hours old(!). Since fawns are born with no scent, I knew not to touch him, but I let him smell my hand so he'd know who I was. As he was sniffing me, I thought how cool it was that he'd know me longer than anything on the planet except his mother. The fact that Leila trusted her newborn fawn with me is also pretty exceptional. He'd hang out around the house (he had a favorite shady spot to bed near some rocks, so I called him Rocky) and he would wait for me to come home from work most days. He'd follow me around like a puppy as I watered the clover patch & fed the rest of the deer. He considered me part of the herd and started trying to spar with me when he grew older and got his first rack. I couldn't turn my back to him for fear of him trying to come at me. Shortly after he polished the velvet off his antlers, things changed. He didn't hang out as much and was late coming around to eat some days. I could tell by the look in his eyes and his behavior that he was about to leave. I saw less and less of him. One day in late September he stopped coming around and went to seek his own turf. I have no idea where he went or what became of him, but it sure was a blast being a part the first 17 months of that buck's life. I hope he reached maturity, ended up gracing someone's table, or better yet, ended up being someone's buck of a lifetime. I have some pictures of Rocky I'll add next week.

Wild Turkeys also show up at my place in Spring & Summer. I love watching them and learning from their behavior.

Jim

Awesome experience!!

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns

Jim
Awesome story thanks for sharing and bout way I see it. I'm not into shooting pets but I'm not into collaring wild animals either plenty actual pets to collar.

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Here's some pictures of the buck I named Rocky as a youngster.

4-28-16 Rocky's Birthday.jpg
He's less than 3 hours old here.

4-28-16 Happy Birthday Rocky!.jpg

Coming into this world takes a lot out of you. He got tired of standing and bedded down beside the big maple. His favorite place to hang out as a youngster was less than 20 feet from that tree.

Rocky 10-4-16.JPG

Here's a bad cell phone picture from when he was about 5 months old or so. Rocky 6-22-2017.jpg

Rocky just over a year old trying to get me to hurry up and feed him. Peanut butter and apples were his favorites.

Jim

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
P.B. for Rocky..jpg

Peanut butter addict.

Rocky Broadside. 9-24-17.JPG

Here's Rocky the day before he left for good. No ribs showing on that guy. He was in the clover daily and developed a taste for granola bars to go along with peanut butter and apples. He was a lot of fun to watch grow and really interesting to spend time around. He wasn't the biggest buck from that year's age class that visited here, but he may have been toughest. He'd try to fight with any buck that came around, even if they were much bigger. I hope he got the chance to reach maturity. His mother had another buck fawn last Spring, though he didn't come around for a month after he was born and keeps his distance.

Jim

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
Man, thats a great story and some awesome pictures. Hope he made it a couple seasons. It would be nice if you had some closure with him! Who knows maybe he is doing his thing, living out the big buck dream we all wish for!

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I see some bucks that raised here who show back up as mature adults from time to time, which is pretty cool. Most of the time, once they're gone, they're gone for good. The majority of my regular visitors are does and fawns. I've learned a lot from watching their behavior, which has helped me in the woods. I also tested several different brands of buck lures on these deer to gauge the deer's reaction and the scent's effectiveness...kinda like a live action laboratory.

Jim

PPosey

Twelve Pointer
Just a follow up on "Daisy". Saturday morning going in to hunt a gasline, she stopped us in the road about 1/2 mile from where we were hunting. Took a few minutes to get around her. We drove on in and went to our blinds about 200 yards from the truck. Less than 5 minutes later my buddy heard something and guess who stuck her head in the blind? She spent all morning there laying around, eating corn, and getting head rubs.
Nice buck magnet to have around