Don't believe the hype...

HuntinCop

Twelve Pointer
WRAL news is reporting a story involving the Wake Forest Police Department arresting a guy for breaking into his "own home". As most of you are aware, I work for this agency and am familiar with the story. The person was in fact arrested. Neighbors called and said someone was breaking into the home. When officers arrived the guy had drilled out the locks and was inside the vacant home with a tool bag. The guy immediately became belligerent to officers on scene and refused to answer any questions about his identity, etc. We get a lot of break-ins to empty homes where suspects steal appliances and other items out of the homes. He eventually was arrested for resisting and delaying an officer in his duties, as well as the breaking and entering. Officers had checked all available records at the time of the arrest and nothing showed the man as the owner.

What the news station isn't reporting is that the guy spoke in sovereign citizen lingo during the whole encounter. If you are not familiar with sovereign citizens, I highly recommend you searching it online. They are known for "stirring the pot" with law enforcement and also with the public in order to get law enforcement involved. The guy has responded to the police department multiple times since the incident and recorded conversations with the police and then posted them on Youtube. Since the arrest, records were updated by the courts and tax records show the man's "company" as the owner of the home and he is an agent of the company. He refused to show officers records indicating that he had purchased the home at the time of his arrest, so officers were acting on the information that was available at the time.

http://www.wral.com/man-charged-with-breaking-into-foreclosed-wake-forest-home-he-bought/13729867/

I figured I would put this out there before some other cop hating forum member got to the story first.......3, 2, 1..go!!!!

Billy J HCGS

Six Pointer
I ain't a cop, but I do carry a badge. I get the Law Breakers after you catch them!! Sounds like a job WELL DONE to me!

Last edited:

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Don't think you have to worry about many on this board getting worked up over it, now the uninformed masses who believe everything the liberal media spews out, those are who you need to worry about. Unfortunately it seems like they make up at least 51% of the country.

ArmyMutt

Eight Pointer
What I find amusing is this:

'"I was very surprised that a house in our neighborhood could be purchased at such a price," Stern said.

The Heritage Wake Forest Homeowners Association foreclosed on the home when the previous owners failed to keep up with their monthly HOA dues and auctioned the home to settle its lien.'

HOAs are not your friend. If they were interested in maintaining the property values, they wouldn't sell a house for $3,800 when the value is $330,000.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns

'"I was very surprised that a house in our neighborhood could be purchased at such a price," Stern said.

The Heritage Wake Forest Homeowners Association foreclosed on the home when the previous owners failed to keep up with their monthly HOA dues and auctioned the home to settle its lien.'

HOAs are not your friend. If they were interested in maintaining the property values, they wouldn't sell a house for $3,800 when the value is $330,000.

Very true, I would say all the houses in that HOA and subdivision just took a big hit.
If I was looking there is no way I would deal with a group that has a track record like that.

Wildlifepro51

Hey Mutt, Are you serious, That house was sold for $3800 bucks to settle the HOA dues? Man I wish I had known that, Would have loved to had a deal like that come my way.

AntlerHunter

Four Pointer
The Wake Forest LEO's should be commended for the restraint they demonstrated. This guy may be more cooperative next time he is approached by LEO's if he had to have taser barbs removed after this incident.

Johnnie

Ten Pointer
Without debating all of the issues here, because this guy obviously has an axe to grind, and not having all of the details of each interaction with LEO I will not speculate either way. But on the count of breaking and entering, if by the time he reached his court appearance, everyone seems to agree that he was legal owner of the property at the time of the event (and the tax records had not been updated apparently), why weren't the B&E charges dropped by the DA? That seems to be a no-brainer unless I am missing something here.

He owned the house at the time of the first encounter, so he couldn't be breaking and entering. I will admit though, I am a little fuzzy on how foreclosure by an HOA, sold at public auction affects the "legal ownership" when the bank still holds the title (some terminology may not be "legally" correct). Maybe someone can shed light on this as well.

HuntinCop

Twelve Pointer
Without debating all of the issues here, because this guy obviously has an axe to grind, and not having all of the details of each interaction with LEO I will not speculate either way. But on the count of breaking and entering, if by the time he reached his court appearance, everyone seems to agree that he was legal owner of the property at the time of the event (and the tax records had not been updated apparently), why weren't the B&E charges dropped by the DA? That seems to be a no-brainer unless I am missing something here.

He owned the house at the time of the first encounter, so he couldn't be breaking and entering. I will admit though, I am a little fuzzy on how foreclosure by an HOA, sold at public auction affects the "legal ownership" when the bank still holds the title (some terminology may not be "legally" correct). Maybe someone can shed light on this as well.

That fuzzy area is apparently why the DA's office hasn't dropped anything. There are people that do scams like this for a living. Though he paid the lien off for the HOA, but the bank would still be the legal owner of the property since they would still hold the legal deed to the property, not the HOA. Until all of that is cleared up, the DA's office isn't going to simply dismiss the charge or be "bullied" by someone with a video camera.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
There is a difference in a cop abusing their position and some a hole being belligerent and non-cooperative when questioned in a legitimate manner by leo's responding to a call

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Please excuse the HuffPost link, but here is a strikingly similar story......anyone remember?

http://www.http://lolwut.com//2009/07/20/henry-louis-gates-jr-arre_n_241407.html

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
He should have saved a lot of trouble and just gave his info...he may have paid the HOA debt but the bank still holds the lien,looks like...he's suing the PD to pay the house off,imo.

Fatkid

It is my understanding purchasing a lien only gives you the interest in the property that the lien covers. Even if the lien covers everything, a deed has to be drawn transferring the interest of the lien holder to the grantee getting the property. If this deed, which is the instrument that actually conveys the land from one party to the other has not been filed, then it would be my understanding he did not own the property, merely the lien. I don't think a deed could be drawn unless all the liens on the property are satisfied.

I am not an attorney, but this was what I was told when I had a lien on a piece of property. It took forever to get my money. The bank was n front of me. All I had was what is known as a mechanic's lien.

Kendo

It is my understanding purchasing a lien only gives you the interest in the property that the lien covers. Even if the lien covers everything, a deed has to be drawn transferring the interest of the lien holder to the grantee getting the property. If this deed, which is the instrument that actually conveys the land from one party to the other has not been filed, then it would be my understanding he did not own the property, merely the lien. I don't think a deed could be drawn unless all the liens on the property are satisfied.

I am not an attorney, but this was what I was told when I had a lien on a piece of property. It took forever to get my money. The bank was n front of me. All I had was what is known as a mechanic's lien.

You pretty much summed it up! No way a bank w a first position lien is gonna let the HOA sell the house in a NON commercially reasonable manner. Doesn't work like that....

poppop

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That must be the same type people running around with Go-Pro on their heads filing the police on every turn.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
Hey Mutt, Are you serious, That house was sold for $3800 bucks to settle the HOA dues? Man I wish I had known that, Would have loved to had a deal like that come my way.

I couldn't in good conscience buy something stolen from somebody else that way. Then again, my hatred of HOAs runs deep.