Don't be afraid to make a change! Life is short.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Don't be afraid to make a change! Life is short.

concur,,,

so I retired from the Army in early 2006,,, but the retired pay ain't what my boss lady (Wife) wanted to live on,,, so I went t work as a nasty defense / federal govt contractor,,,, worked my way from Deputy Project Manager of a 9 person team to VP of a business area at that job from organic growth that my team and I drove,,,, left there when it got to stupid (merger with another large company),,, went to work for smalls seeing if what I learned at the first place would transfer,,, it did,,, ended up COO of a small business that I drove growth of over 400% in 2 years,,,

but the cost? from 2006 to April 2021 I worked an average of 55 hours a week,,, and that average included vacation days/weeks but not vacation hours,,, see this idiot would take a weeks vacation and still log 30-40 hours of work,,, some of you have seen it in action after a hunt or fishing trip,,,

but that kind of pace is what it took to grow those businesses in that business arena,,, it's a rough one if you want to grow

in March of 2021 I said "enough",,, for various reasons not only hours,,,,, I told owner/CEO that he had a month, then I was "semi-retiring",,,,

and I did

he retained me as a strategic consultant ,,,and I do consulting for a few other companies,,, and am working my own business to see if I can do it again,,,

so yes, I am still working,, but where and how I want,,, not the stuff I was dealing with at someone else's beck and call

still putting in more hours than I like,,, but if I want to take a day off I do,,and If I want to work from a tent somewhere in the back country I do,,,

took till I was 59 to pull the trigger,,,, but the work I have done has been satisfying so no regrets on that,,, and the crap I have been involved in and the heroes I have meet,,,, well maybe one day I can tell the grandboys about "back when",,,,

Nana

Big Ole Nanny
Contributor
Woodmosse - I am 56. Right now the hardest part of this is biting my tongue when my mother in law comments when we spend money! Um, I banked a very nice pension and invested it, not touching it. AND went back to work. Have been a tightwad my whole life. Now easing the purse strings a bit and having some fun. I think I may have earned it! She is 80 and her filter is faulty, so I walk away, but it can grate on me. In addition to the new gig I have my taxidermy business and another consulting gig I am getting off the ground.

I am trying to close up the computer nights and weekends and maybe do a bit of taxidermy, but only when the mood strikes me. Trying to do more of what I WANT to do and less of what I HAVE to do.

Nana

Big Ole Nanny
Contributor
exactly,,,,

and good decision on MIL,,, sometimes walking away is the best offense and defense,,,
She is the reason we bought a tiny condo at the beach. She has a 6br 6 ba house at the beach. But it comes with strings, like no dogs and being treated like a teenager, and not being able to fish when I want to fish. So now we can hang out with her on our terms. She can be a lot of fun. I think this arrangement has a taken some stress away for all of us. Neutral corners and all that!

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Yep, I’m with you on making a change. Sometimes you just got to do it. I have spent the last 7 years working in the ER. 2 yrs as a CNA and 5 yrs as a nurse. Been charge nurse the last 3.5 yrs. I lived for the ER, the chaos, the traumas the blood. I eat, sleeped and breathed it. But the last 6 months, I lost my fire. I hated going to work. So, I went out and found a new job. Complete 180 from and ER nurse. I may regret, but we will see. I have to get out and try something new. Maybe the change will bring some perspective, or maybe I will find something else I love.

Congrats on your change. Wish you the best.

Nana

Big Ole Nanny
Contributor
Yep, I’m with you on making a change. Sometimes you just got to do it. I have spent the last 7 years working in the ER. 2 yrs as a CNA and 5 yrs as a nurse. Been charge nurse the last 3.5 yrs. I lived for the ER, the chaos, the traumas the blood. I eat, sleeped and breathed it. But the last 6 months, I lost my fire. I hated going to work. So, I went out and found a new job. Complete 180 from and ER nurse. I may regret, but we will see. I have to get out and try something new. Maybe the change will bring some perspective, or maybe I will find something else I love.

Congrats on your change. Wish you the best.

Good for you realizing you were burning out. Nurses are so important and I'm glad you switched gears before you completely burned out on nursing. Several of my friends did not get out in time and totally changed careers, which was a loss for nursing in general. Best wishes in your new gig!

Fishhunt-365

Eight Pointer
I am glad I seen this post. I’m 51 been welding for almost 30 years. I pulled the trigger on an application for the state.. and I got the job. Was very concerned that I was making a mistake. But now I know that I did the right thing. Lot less stress great benefits lots of pto and a retirement plan to look forward to.
Plus it’s with the air national guard 👍🏻