Don't be afraid to make a change! Life is short.

Nana

Big Ole Nanny
Contributor
The end of February I retired from 29 years with my former job. I had about 24 years of an amazing career followed by five years of absolute hell. I was surrounded by great people, but terrible management, terrible treatment, the whole ball of wax. 24 years of total flexibility of schedule done away with because the youngsters didn't think it was FAIR and the CEO wanted butts in chairs. We are in a cyclical business and I always flexed my work hours to meet the demand, sometimes working 75 hours a week, sometimes 30, whatever it took for my guys to be able to close deals. Even when I lost my flexibility I continued to perform as that is how I was brought up. That disconnect between performance and treatment caused me a LOT of stress. I was turning out 40% of the work of a department of 10. They knew I would hold on to get to my pension and they were right! I got there, I gave them 120 days to make some changes, none of them related to salary. They declined (turns out they thought I had a non compete). So I retired to take some time to decide what was next.

Mgmt of old job was furious when they realized I had no non compete. That was a fun last day at work. I had a company phone and we were only permitted to back it up to their site. I was told I could keep it, as is customary when you retire. I worked up til 9 pm on the night before my last day. Had two large deal committees the morning of my last day. They discovered my lack of a non compete that day and wiped my phone while I was at lunch without telling me. Basically the CEO had a temper tantrum. The funny part is I had no customer contacts because I work behind the scenes. I lost all my colleague info, family info, pictures etc. So if you are trying to get in touch with me PM me here. This part of my departure made it easier to think about going to work elsewhere. I had a few board members contact me to find out what was up. I never returned their calls. That place is in my rear view mirror. I kept my head up and walked AWAY. I was afraid anything I said would cause fallout on the wrong folks as the problem was the CEO.

After a couple of months, I realized I LOVE what I do, and took a job with the competition!

I just wrapped up my first month in my new job. I LOVE IT! It is all of the things I love about what I do with none of the crap. Total cultural change. I work when I want, from where ever I want as long as the work gets done. So T and I bought a tiny condo at Atlantic Beach and are looking for a lot in the mountains. They are vocal in their appreciation and are all helping me get cranked up on their systems. Learning new applications is tough at my age but I am managing. This staff and the management team are supportive and positive. It is a Dutch company, so perhaps that has something to do with the cultural difference. I wake up early and get to work by about 6, excited about my day. I have total flexibility to go stuff a critter or wet a line when things are slow or I am waiting on info.

The best part, and the most important thing to share with all of you is how it has impacted my health. I have always had the typical problems that go with being a high strung Type A and they have gotten a lot worse in recent years: heartburn, insomnia, diverticulosis, HBP etc. I have had NO heartburn or diverticulitis flares since I walked away. Sleeping through the night. Drinking a LOT less.....and this gal loves beer. And my blood pressure is inching down. This was a scary transition for this risk averse gal, but SO worth it.

And double dipping means I can justify more guitars, and fishing rods :fishing::guitar:, and Canes tickets.......

Life is good! Don't be afraid to make a change.

Hazmt

Six Pointer
Glad things have worked for the ‘much better’ for you! I am also at a milestone. Trying to figure out when is the right time to bolt....

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
Excellent read. Thank you for sharing.

I love guitars. What do you have and what kind of music do you play? I have two Alvarez acoustic, one is a Yari and the other is after they sold out and became mass manufactured. I have a Taylor Big Baby and a fender strat.

I had to overcome and adapt my playing style years ago. I cut three fingers off on my left hand in 1999. The sowed two of them back on, but the ring finger is a nub at the first joint. I use a lot of power chords now.

I wish you the best.

bowtoot

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Good for you Nana. My wife is facing the same thing after 33 years at her job. Change is good.

Nana

Big Ole Nanny
Contributor
Ahhhhh......can I say I told you:unsure:?? Congrats. I'm so pleased and proud for you. I could ditto your story and I think I had shared that with you. It's been 28 years since I said "to hell with this stuff". That beer at the end of the pier is waiting:).

I just sent you a PM about that beer! And yes, you did tell me so!

Nana

Big Ole Nanny
Contributor
Excellent read. Thank you for sharing.

I love guitars. What do you have and what kind of music do you play? I have two Alvarez acoustic, one is a Yari and the other is after they sold out and became mass manufactured. I have a Taylor Big Baby and a fender strat.

I had to overcome and adapt my playing style years ago. I cut three fingers off on my left hand in 1999. The sowed two of them back on, but the ring finger is a nub at the first joint. I use a lot of power chords now.

I wish you the best.

I started playing the bass at 9 and then sneaking my Dad's 1968 Yamaha Red Label shortly after that. It is now my pride and joy. My stable is like most of you guy's gun cabinets. I play old country, gospel, bluegrass and rockabilly with some classic rock thrown in.

I am mostly a rhythm guitar player and bass thumper. Can also get tunes out of a banjo, mandolin, dobro, and fiddle.

My go to guitar these days is an Eastman - it is a Chinese guitar but one of those rare finds that cost $800 and after a neck job sounds like a $5,000 Martin or Taylor.

Eastman 800 Mandolin
Shen doghouse bass (The nicest piece of furniture I own)
Guild 12 string
Martin mahogany acoustic
Beard Dobro
Goodtime banjo
NH Electric five string fiddle
U Bass

And various other things gathering dust until they catch my eye again.

Good for you for finding a way to play after your injury. I am a lefty who plays righty so that can be a challenge. I can read music but don't understand it. Just play by ear.

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
I started playing the bass at 9 and then sneaking my Dad's 1968 Yamaha Red Label shortly after that. It is now my pride and joy. My stable is like most of you guy's gun cabinets. I play old country, gospel, bluegrass and rockabilly with some classic rock thrown in.

I am mostly a rhythm guitar player and bass thumper. Can also get tunes out of a banjo, mandolin, dobro, and fiddle.

My go to guitar these days is an Eastman - it is a Chinese guitar but one of those rare finds that cost $800 and after a neck job sounds like a $5,000 Martin or Taylor.

Eastman 800 Mandolin
Shen doghouse bass (The nicest piece of furniture I own)
Guild 12 string
Martin mahogany acoustic
Beard Dobro
Goodtime banjo
NH Electric five string fiddle
U Bass

And various other things gathering dust until they catch my eye again.

Good for you for finding a way to play after your injury. I am a lefty who plays righty so that can be a challenge. I can read music but don't understand it. Just play by ear.

That is awesome. I grew up in WV. Entered my first banjo contest when was 9 years old. Played (bluegrass) various family reunions with my family, my dad, sister and uncle, plus a few friends had a band.

I kind of migrated away from bluegrass when I left home. Was in a few classis rock cover bands and country bands. I mostly played bass and rhythm guitar and sang tenor.

I have 4 sons, and three of them are excellent guitar players.

Every July/August, the D&E College in my hometown of Elkins WV, hosts the Augusta Heritage Workshop. Some of the best bluegrass pickers and folk musicians that you could every imagine in one place. If you every get the urge, you may want to check it out.

Nana

Big Ole Nanny
Contributor
That is awesome. I grew up in WV. Entered my first banjo contest when was 9 years old. Played (bluegrass) various family reunions with my family, my dad, sister and uncle, plus a few friends had a band.

I kind of migrated away from bluegrass when I left home. Was in a few classis rock cover bands and country bands. I mostly played bass and rhythm guitar and sang tenor.

I have 4 sons, and three of them are excellent guitar players.

Every July/August, the D&E College in my hometown of Elkins WV, hosts the Augusta Heritage Workshop. Some of the best bluegrass pickers and folk musicians that you could every imagine in one place. If you every get the urge, you may want to check it out.

I do need to check that out! I met my wife at Merlefest and she is a fledgling upright bass player. I sing somewhere between tenor and alto and she has a wonderful harmony voice.

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
I do need to check that out! I met my wife at Merlefest and she is a fledgling upright bass player. I sing somewhere between tenor and alto and she has a wonderful harmony voice.

Merelfest is an excellent time.

IF you ever decide to go to Augusta, plan ahead and make reservations. There are very few hotels in the area. Campgrounds fill up fast too.

Nana

Big Ole Nanny
Contributor
Merelfest is an excellent time.

IF you ever decide to go to Augusta, plan ahead and make reservations. There are very few hotels in the area. Campgrounds fill up fast too.

Tracy has been to every one. I started about 7 years ago. I love the festival but my fave part is picking around the fire at the VFW Campground in the evenings.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Proud of you^^^

I did a similar thing a few years ago.

Found out about my baby girl after years of trying.

Quit my “corporate” construction job and started my own business. Went from 60 hours a week at the office to 24/7 daddy daycare plus starting a new business for the last two years but I get to hang with her all day long.

She’s riding with me to Lowe’s now to shop for some odds and ends for a job.

Life is good.

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
Tracy has been to every one. I started about 7 years ago. I love the festival but my fave part is picking around the fire at the VFW Campground in the evenings.

My sister played bass and sang harmony with a bluegrass band called New Vintage. We were at Merlefest once and actually hung around with Emmylou Harris, Sam Bush, Bela Fleck and Jerry Douglas. That was a blast.

Once at Doyle Lawson's family reunion in Denton NC, I was fortunate enough to meet Alison Kraus, Dan Tyminski and Adam Steffy. That was also a blast.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I am someone who fears change, can't help it its just who I am..........congrats on the new job and Condo!
I love hearing about people who can say F this when they get a crappy hand delt to them by someone who thinks their people ate to scared to make a move.

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Awesome. Nice not to be a prisoner to your work. Unfortunately to many people are just that. Proud you willing to do what's right for you. Wish you the best at your new endeavor

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
Congrats Nana,we heard the same things from our friend who worked with us there.He stepped away from it in March

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
When I walked away in 2000 I had a non compete but had always heard that they are not enforceable in a right to work state. So I hired an attorney. Something other than the job and normal benefits has to be given in exchange for the non compete. It could be money extra vacation beyond company policy etc. If one is signed at the beginning of employment or during employment with nothing given to the employee other than the job and company policy benefits then it’s worthless. When my attorney wrote the President of the company a letter he then started to negotiate an amount that I would accept not to compete. It was a nice check. 😀

v8stang289

Twelve Pointer
Congrats, that's awesome!
A little over 2 years ago I walked away from ~15 years in automotive/auto parts industry. Best move I've ever made. Getting away from the drama, stress, and backstabbing of the auto industry lifted a huge weight.
I'm not always accepting of changes, and I was scared to take the leap away from what I knew, but sometimes a change is exactly what's needed.
PS: extra guitar money is always a good thing!

Last edited:

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
I am someone who fears change, can't help it its just who I am..........congrats on the new job and Condo!
I love hearing about people who can say F this when they get a crappy hand delt to them by someone who thinks their people ate to scared to make a move.

I am with you. I hate change.

Fudd

Four Pointer
Good story. I found out during the years before I retired that there is no shortage of backstabbers. Glad to be away from all of that now.

Nana

Big Ole Nanny
Contributor
When I walked away in 2000 I had a non compete but had always heard that they are not enforceable in a right to work state. So I hired an attorney. Something other than the job and normal benefits has to be given in exchange for the non compete. It could be money extra vacation beyond company policy etc. If one is signed at the beginning of employment or during employment with nothing given to the employee other than the job and company policy benefits then it’s worthless. When my attorney wrote the President of the company a letter he then started to negotiate an amount that I would accept not to compete. It was a nice check. 😀

After losing in court a few times my company had an iron clad one that they paid you a bonus or gave you a promotion to sign. They offered me lots of $$ over the years to sign and I never would. Guess he forgot. lol.

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
After losing in court a few times my company had an iron clad one that they paid you a bonus or gave you a promotion to sign. They offered me lots of $$ over the years to sign and I never would. Guess he forgot. lol.
Yep they have to give you something other than the job and normal benefits.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Proud of you^^^

I did a similar thing a few years ago.

Found out about my baby girl after years of trying.

Quit my “corporate” construction job and started my own business. Went from 60 hours a week at the office to 24/7 daddy daycare plus starting a new business for the last two years but I get to hang with her all day long.

She’s riding with me to Lowe’s now to shop for some odds and ends for a job.

Life is good.
I got tired of making good money and good decisions for other people.

Now that I’m the boss, I think my boss is a lot smarter.

But I didn’t have a very smart boss to start with.

The biggest problem with retaining talent is leadership, not incentive.

A weak leader is worth less than the money you pay for his overhead and AA.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
I got tired of making good money and good decisions for other people.

Now that I’m the boss, I think my boss is a lot smarter.

But I didn’t have a very smart boss to start with.

The biggest problem with retaining talent is leadership, not incentive.

A weak leader is worth less than the money you pay for his overhead and AA.
And I own my company now so no one bitches since I sign the checks and can hunt and ride bikes and hang with my girl when I want. 7EF101BC-EF38-48BC-9BD7-5187B17CE67C.jpeg9385941C-71A3-43A3-88E9-7D8038B89A32.jpeg9385941C-71A3-43A3-88E9-7D8038B89A32.jpeg

DarrinG

Six Pointer
Good for you, Nana!

About 8 months ago I retired from a long LE career. I could have stayed longer and my pension would have grown more, but I made a decision that life was w-a-y too short, LE was nowadays w-a-y too stressful and I wanted to enjoy some of my life before it was just simply too late. Ive not regretted a single moment of my decision. I got my toes in the water, ass in the sand, not a worry in the world....LoL.

Fishhunt-365

Eight Pointer
I am glad I seen this post. I’m 51 been welding for almost 30 years. I pulled the trigger on an application for the state.. and I got the job. Was very concerned that I was making a mistake. But now I know that I did the right thing. Lot less stress great benefits lots of pto and a retirement plan to look forward to.

Aaron H

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Your first 3 sentences are very close to being exactly how my last public job was. 9 years from retirement I quit and opened my taxidermy shop full time. I've never regretted that change.