Doing something wrong

wfdavis50

Six Pointer
I don't want to come a cross as impatient. I have been out to Fort Bragg twice now once as a mid day hunt and in the morning. I have been in different areas. I have tried open areas. I have tried dried stream beds. I have tried a lake area with open area and plenty of trees. I'm not seeing any type of evidence of turkey. I can deal with not hearing any turkey but not to see any sings is other thing. I have enjoyed my time out in the woods and found some good places to hunt deer. Am I dong something wrong

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
sounds like you're making the best of it to me. If there's no turkeys in the area then there's really nothing you can do but move to a different area.

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
Move to a new area, especially if you are on land you are not familiar with. I spent the first half a day and about 6 miles on a permit hunt this season figuring out where NOT to be.

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
Keep doing what you're doing.....but definitely move around and check out other places. You are embarking on one of the most challenging endeavors in the hunting world, in my opinion. When you finally locate and harvest a North Carolina public land turkey, you will have done something you can be very proud of. It's as "fair chase" as it gets. Hang in there...I wish you the best!

ezdemon72

Six Pointer
I don't want to come a cross as impatient. I have been out to Fort Bragg twice now once as a mid day hunt and in the morning. I have been in different areas. I have tried open areas. I have tried dried stream beds. I have tried a lake area with open area and plenty of trees. I'm not seeing any type of evidence of turkey. I can deal with not hearing any turkey but not to see any sings is other thing. I have enjoyed my time out in the woods and found some good places to hunt deer. Am I dong something wrong

What training area are you hunting on Ft Bragg? Seen and heard birds everytime I've went out on Ft Bragg this year.

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Time in the woods is valuable. But understanding the breeding process will help you understand why birds gobble and when they gobble. Birds tend to disappear this time of year then suddenly reappear. Read articles on breeding and I think it will help. I've been chasing them 25 years and more often than not they show me new tricks. Good luck and stay after them.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Move to a new area, especially if you are on land you are not familiar with. I spent the first half a day and about 6 miles on a permit hunt this season figuring out where NOT to be.

Lotta truth right there..... some areas you will see birds in the fall but not the spring, if your not seeing/hearing anything it may be time to scout a new area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Seen a hen killed on the side of Chicken Road,,,,couldn't tell if road kill or some knuckle head shot her and then threw out of vehicle when his buddy said "you idiot, that's a hen!"

anyhow - birds in most, if not all, areas of Fort Bragg,,,just have to keep moving till you find them, as others have said.

Don't get discouraged - the best things in life are those that are the hardest to attain - probably why I like chasing turkeys, they were the species that kicked my butt the longest (well them and elk)

81toyota

Twelve Pointer
Like every one says don't get discouraged. It's easy to do I know. But things are finally starting to come together piece by piece for me. I went and heard 1 gobbling on the roost and I worked around d to him and got set up. He flew down, came in and hung up right on the edge of my comfortable range. He put on a good little show. I got gobbler fever this morning and pulled the shot but that's hunting. I killed my first bird solo hunting yesterday. Today would of made 3 birds since I've started hunting and I have had alot of downs and discouraging moments. But every time out I learn more and more. Itll take time but stick with it. Trust me it wasn't to long ago I was in your shoes. Like beginning of the season in your shoes.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

wfdavis50

Six Pointer
I want to thank everyone for all the info. It is helping me a lot. I have not given up on turkey. If don't get one this season there will other. I did find some really good deer tracks .