Doing some stock blanking..

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
Mother Nature gave me a large cherry tree a couple weeks ago.

Probably an early growth along a fence line so we had to dodge some old barb wire.

Some other minor limb issues, and I couldn't quarter saw it because the center heart was starting to go, but I managed to salvage a 4x9x48" block.

If I play my cards right, and she dries without issue, I think I can pull two slender black powder stocks from it.img.jpgimg2.jpgc7a5490e84bf2a00e7f62cdb4dd2e389.jpg

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Good luck with it, most I have seen was real bad to crack drying if you couldn't control it and dry it real slow. If you are successful it should be beautiful.

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
Good luck with it, most I have seen was real bad to crack drying if you couldn't control it and dry it real slow. If you are successful it should be beautiful.
Painting all the edges before I put it up. If I get one, I'll be happy, that's one more that I wouldn't have had.

We've had some good luck harvesting from boards that have been in the barn for decades, so I'll put it up there. It's away from the Carpenter bees, which always seem to be the biggest threat around here.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
I look forward to seeing it! If it does crack you could always go non traditional and fill them. I’ve salvaged a lot of beautiful defective boards with the help of epoxy.

georgeeebuck

Ten Pointer
I made a butt stock out of cherry for an old double barrel wall hanger that a friend wanted to display. It came out well and my friend loved it. I like the way it gets darker in color as it ages .

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I hope it turns out good for you & hope it doesn't check.

A buddy of mine harvested the black walnut from a tree that grew beside the old barn on his grandfather's farm. The tree came down in a storm, but some of the wood was salvageable. He decided to re-stock his grandfather's .22 with the prettiest piece of wood he got from near the stump. In the process of rough sanding after the barrel & action were inletted, he came across a .22 bullet that had been lodged in the wood for decades, probably shot from the same gun by his grandfather. He left the bullet in place and finished over it.

Jim