Dogtra Pathfinder

RAW

Button Buck
Does anyone use this tracking system for multiple dogs I am looking into getting one for my ten deer dogs I have the garmin but I don’t like an alpha. Thanks

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I don't think you will like it for the range on deer dogs. But I may be wrong. May I ask why you don't like the Alpha?

With that being said I have known several that have went from an Alpha to the Dogtra back to the Alpha, but none that went to a Dogtra to an Alpha back to a Dogtra if that tells you anything.

RAW

Button Buck
I just don’t like using it compared to my 220 or 320 I am testing out out the Dogtra only with one collar I like it and it picks up further than my garmin if I could track and train with a 320 I wouldn’t switch

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I just don’t like using it compared to my 220 or 320 I am testing out out the Dogtra only with one collar I like it and it picks up further than my garmin if I could track and train with a 320 I wouldn’t switch
Yeah, there is a learning curve with the Alpha when you first get it, especially to you learn to lock the screen when you stick it in your pocket. But once you learn to utilize all the functions of it you will like it I think. I have had one since they first come out and am pretty familiar with them. I help quite a few folks with them especially when they get off on something they aren't used to on them usually by sticking it in their pocket unlocked. But I love them. Especially coupled with a Hound Recovery or a Reach antenna.

RAW

Button Buck
I just don’t like using it compared to my 220 or 320 I am testing out out the Dogtra only with one collar I like it and it picks up further than my garmin

NC Quailhunter

Six Pointer
I use one with my setter. It is rated for 9 miles but my dog doesn't get out that far. the farthest out I saw him was 800 yds. At first it was a little finicky but there have been a number of updates that Dogtra pushed for free. The weakest link in the whole thing is the quality of your cell phone and its battery life. the longest I had to use mine was a five hour hunt and my battery held up in my phone and the system battery barely moved.
I like it and I am glad I have it and I will be getting another collar for the setter that I am picking up next week. Feel free to ask and if I can I will answer your questions.
Why I didn't go with the Garmin was strictly a cost issue. I needed the system and the Pathfinder was in my range.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I've used all of them, Dogtra, Alpha, Garmin 550 Pro...

I liked the Dogtra for not losing my dog. I used it on a trip, and I put my phone in airplane mode to preserve the battery (this was three years ago.) I can't tell you how well it would work on 10 hounds.

specialk

Twelve Pointer
I run rabbit beagles and use garmin stuff....will not turn loose without it.....biggest pet peeve is the antique satalite maps garmin has.....

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I run rabbit beagles and use garmin stuff....will not turn loose without it.....biggest pet peeve is the antique satalite maps garmin has.....
You have to watch that especially with their map cards, make sure when you buy one check the revision date on them. The one in one of my handhelds was advertised for $69. Well when I went to buy them for my other handheld and my drive track I found them from $69-84. I got to checking and the cheaper ones were badly outdated but the more expensive ones where much later production and more recent. But once you buy them you are stuck with them, it would be nice if they updated along with the software updates.

specialk

Twelve Pointer
You have to watch that especially with their map cards, make sure when you buy one check the revision date on them. The one in one of my handhelds was advertised for $69. Well when I went to buy them for my other handheld and my drive track I found them from $69-84. I got to checking and the cheaper ones were badly outdated but the more expensive ones where much later production and more recent. But once you buy them you are stuck with them, it would be nice if they updated along with the software updates.

thanks, I just download them thru basecamp from garmin….yearly fee.....the maps will show clearcuts with visible paths and it will be replanted 5y.o. pines with paths covered by limbs....you think you're looking at a whole different property.....I've learned to work around it....

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
thanks, I just download them thru basecamp from garmin….yearly fee.....the maps will show clearcuts with visible paths and it will be replanted 5y.o. pines with paths covered by limbs....you think you're looking at a whole different property.....I've learned to work around it....
I used basecamp two years then went to Hunt View. I like Hunt View much better, and it doesn't keep my butt behind a computer downloading forever.

RAW

Button Buck
Just want to say thanks for everyone’s input I still have decided what I am going to do yet still pondering an trying out this Dogtra.