Dogs and Cats

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
So we have this mutt that my wife brought home as a puppy. Supposedly a mixture of bulldog, lab, and Pyrenees. He is about 3-1/2 now. Best dog that I’ve ever had but he is a pet.....no hunting. Just rub me, pet me, and in turn I’ll keep the delivery guys nervous.

wife works from home and he is in and out. Pretty decent alarm system. He goes into his kennel at night and gets out when I leave for work. Sometimes he goes in, sometimes he stays out.

tonight it was bedtime. I grabbed his routine milkbones and went to put him up. Got to the carport to see what he needed food wise. There was a cat in the kennel. My first thought was, I hope I can trick him into going back inside. He saw the cat. It was a cage match. Biggest Tom cat I think I have ever seen. I was yelling and trying to figure out how to deal with this and keep myself from getting clawed up or cat bit. No gun with me....but Jerry Mitchelek couldn’t have put one between that pair. Finally the cat found a corner and made a climb. Got his head out and I thought he was good to go. Dang if the dog didn’t jump up there and pull him back in. They mixed again and the cat was able to break loose and hid behind the feed box. Took a few minutes to get the dog. I was expecting a vet bill. Like I said....that was a fine specimen of a Tom. Got him in and he came out pretty good. Scratch below the eye, on the nose and one ear. Checked with the wife to find out rabies status. He is good.

you just never know what to expect. I surely thought that would be worse than it was. I have seen very few dogs with his speed and to carry that quickness at over 90 lbs, it’s amazing.

Attachments

• E24C8295-0145-4DB7-9FA3-A6236B2FA20D.jpeg
    E24C8295-0145-4DB7-9FA3-A6236B2FA20D.jpeg
    147 KB · Views: 49

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The funny thing about dogs and cats is you never know which one is absolutely going to hate one and which one will pay them no attention. I break all my treedogs off them as I hunt close to houses and don't want the associated drama that can come if my dog would tree the pet cat in the yard or worse yet catch it in the garage.

My sister used to have cats so they were the sounding block for me breaking my dogs, when she quit with cats I used to go to the dairy behind me, they had dozens. Now my neighbor has a few around their barn and don't mind be bringing the new pup down to ride the lightening if they decide they like Sylvester. But I will soon be through with treedogs so that is about over.

Oh yeah, you will be surprised just how tough a real feral cat can be. I have been with guys that dogs hate cats and have seen some caught and they will put up a fight to rival any coon I have ever seen. Those claws can do some damage.

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
We used to shoot 'em out when we were coon hunting. Some of punishment these big Tom's could dish out, would trump the biggest coon in the woods. And no matter how far you hunted from civilization, there was always a kitty around. When I was trapping, they always got a lead pill as well. Just not worth the risk of trying to free them.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I had a half lab half blue tick I got for Christmas when I was 11. That joker would tree every cat in a 5 mile radius. He hated a dang cat and caught and killed many and leaned how to get’em, but he also had a crap load of scars to show for it. Only that dog wouldn’t run was a deer. Rabbits, squirrels, coons, cats, possums. He could run the hide off of’em but he acted almost as if he couldn’t even smell a deer.
Funny thing, my Boykin is the “gamiest” dog I’ve ever seen, but she don’t give a damn about a cat. Just ignores them like they’re not even there. That’s her only fault😂😂