Dog Tracking NEEDED Granville Buck

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That last part was what I was looking for. And, let’s be clear....I don’t know anyone who’s screwed the pooch more than me, while bowhunting.

That being said, if you don’t have GREAT blood near the POI, back out. If it’s already dead, it’ll still be dead when you come back.

I’m typing this so new hunters will learn something from US.

You guys and your dogs are a blessing to bowhunters.

Thank you.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
this is a great thread however old, may have been th e start of @bowhuntingrook s tracking mission?
He has sure done a lot of favors to those who like him needed a dog. :)
Returning the favor I guess. But a light bulb went off in my head when Kirk showed up with Mac to track this deer back in 2017. I love archery, I love the joy harvesting a deer brings to the new and experienced hunter, I love helping people and I love training dogs. I had been without a dog for 5 years because I just needed that avenue that could fulfill all these things. Now I like tracking as much as hunting and I hunt a lot less. I don't have many friends but I meet people at some of their lowest moments (kinda like my real jobs as a paramedic and nurse) and I get to help them, occasionally we get to be the hero, occasionally we are part of their most memorable hunts and it's really fun.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
If that first pic is the after shot pic, looks like it could be a good shot as long as you waited for his leg to be moved forward. If it wasn’t you’d be shooting through dense muscle and scapula.
If the consensus on here is it’s the broadheads fault, what is your set up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would not take hard quartering shots through the rib cage with a mechanical, (I was shooting 61lb) it was me not knowing the limitations of my equipment. I switched back to fixed blade slick trick, got heavier arrows and turned bow up to 70 lb and killed him the next year in November 2018.

He is bottom left deer
5cd80fde3ff7c2118c0f05ac931a0abe.jpg

careyhamil

Eight Pointer
I would not take hard quartering shots through the rib cage with a mechanical, (I was shooting 61lb) it was me not knowing the limitations of my equipment. I switched back to fixed blade slick trick, got heavier arrows and turned bow up to 70 lb and killed him the next year in November 2018.

He is bottom left deer
5cd80fde3ff7c2118c0f05ac931a0abe.jpg

Impressive display! Congrats on the second chance!

careyhamil

Eight Pointer
I don’t know that a hard quartering away shot is the only variable to consider. I’ve hit deer with everyone’s favor 2inch expandable to hate, on a hard quartering away, and the arrow penetrated all the way to the chest. The bow was a Mathews Z7 set at 27.5/70#, arrows were 370 grains. Shot was at 20 yds. But this one example his front leg was completely forward.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
I don’t know that a hard quartering away shot is the only variable to consider. I’ve hit deer with everyone’s favor 2inch expandable to hate, on a hard quartering away, and the arrow penetrated all the way to the chest. The bow was a Mathews Z7 set at 27.5/70#, arrows were 370 grains. Shot was at 20 yds. But this one example his front leg was completely forward.

Was your entry at the ribcage?

Also, since I was 25-30 foot up, he was 23 yards, I don't think leg had anything to do with it. A 2 blade can enter the same exact hole, with the same exact trajectory, all things equal and do 2 different things around bones like ribs, because you turn that broadhead 90 degrees it becomes a different broadhead, it's not going to act the same when it hits those ribs. And a hard quartering shot through ribs can really slow an arrow, see exhibit A in OP.

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
I was so confused reading this thread until I realized it started two years ago. I was wondering why in the hell BHR was asking for a dog, when he was the dog guy. Im a little slow.