Dog Tracking NEEDED Granville Buck

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
HE'S BACK! Dog Tracking NEEDED Granville Buck

Shot this buck quartering away at 20 yards last night from 20 feet up around 6pm with a Rage Hypo. One of my best archery deer. I would have guaranteed it was double lung until I looked at the arrow and had blood on only 6 inches of the arrow. The blood has bubbles but the blood on the ground is minimal most likely due to no pass through and high nearside lung entry. I NEED A DOG to help track. 45 minutes after shot I circled away from the path he ran to see if I could see lighted nock, I saw it 50 yards away and noticed nock battery was dieing so I retrieved it before I lost sight of it, well on my way to the arrow (in the dark) I stepped on a loud stick/log and it broke I heard the deer get up maybe 30 yards from me in the direction he went. I believe this deer is dead and not that far away I just want to use a grid search as a last resort and would like to give a dog the best opportunity I can. Please post here or PM me. I will pay for gas and your time. Moved all my cams toward his area and found him, I'm stoked.

IMAG4282.jpg

IMAG0143.jpg

Last edited:

dstubbsunc

Eight Pointer
That's a nice buck for sure! Give Kirk a call, him and Mack will find him if he's dead which it sounds like he is!

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
The fact that he bedded that early is a good sign. The fact that you jumped him is not. Good Luck and post pics when you find him.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Dog took track from impact site and worked the same trail to where arrow was and back into the woods, with like zero blood. So dog really never got on it good after 70 yards or so. We made some circles trying to catch deer scent in the wind but no success. We never even found the bed that I believe he jumped out of the night before, and he laid in that for 45 minutes. So he's just not bleeding much externally. He's not gonna die of blood loss with the shot I made, I would bet on that. The blade looks as if I hit a rib, this would also explain only 6 inches penetration and 1 lung hit.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
I'm not pointing blame at the broadhead but I'm going back to Slick Trick Magnums. They are just more forgiving in my opinion. On average I will get more pass throughs whether quartering or not. I believe they get through ribs and bone better as well.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
If I ever switch back to fixed blades it will be SlickTricks. The next time my Spitfires let me down will be the first time, and also the last.

If a rib stops a broadhead, or even slows it down much, there's a problem somewhere.

Hate you lost him, and I hope he's still alive. They absolutely can survive a one lung hit, but they can die from it even easier.

Last edited:

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
I thought I was patient enough waiting for him to turn, but should have waited for more broadside, would have made it easier for the broadhead.

Bud B.

Eight Pointer
You can't second guess yourself if you truly believe the hit was good. The only option left is the BH if the deer didn't jump the string. I shoot trad gear, so mechanicals have never been an option for me. I ran an arrow through a hard quartering deer opening day with an old Bear Super Razorhead. All but 8" of arrow was sticking out the far side from a 44lb recurve. Entered behind the left rear rib and exited the right leg armpit. It hit rib on the exit, best I can tell.

You did your part. From what you describe the hit was a good one. That's all you CAN do if everything else is good.

Crap happens.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
I have no doubt if arrow continued through deer at the angle I hit him, it would be double lung. It is possible he turned at sound of shot as well, but I saw where it hit.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
I lost a stud last year from quartering too shot. Hit him more up in the neck trying to punch through with a swacker. I backed out also. Next day had great blood and great clots in his bed. Something got him up that night and I never found him. Mechanicals work fine if they are broad side and you shoot them off the shoulder. I agree fixed blades are way more forgiving. Tricks are my choice also. I have shot a couple this year with mx3s and they fly well. I'm shooting a 2216 arrow this season 530gn. I'm set on making two holes I continue to hope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
He's back to show you my shot placement. I was 20 feet up, he was at 20 yards and only 6 inches penetration quartering away.

Last edited:

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
Definitely nothing wrong with the shot. I'd say you got one lung and he was able to survive it. I had a similar experience. Shot was a 12 ring and only got half an arrow or penetration. Never found him.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
You're at almost 2 weeks. I wonder if that means he'll survive or some kind of infection will eventually do him in.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Good deer, I'm glad to see him alive. Can't believe he survived that shot.

Last edited:

careyhamil

Eight Pointer
If that first pic is the after shot pic, looks like it could be a good shot as long as you waited for his leg to be moved forward. If it wasn’t you’d be shooting through dense muscle and scapula.
If the consensus on here is it’s the broadheads fault, what is your set up?

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
If he was quartering away and you hit top right of that shot maybe a slim chance you caught part of one lung or just off the edge. I’m having a hard time seeing it but it’s the only explanation. The photo is a little blurry but it would be the top right edge. With that hit and angle I’d think a sharpened stick would have quickly killed him. Sucks and crazy flukes happen. As bad as it is, I’d be happy to get a little closure on the encounter. The not knowing part would eat me up.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
What sign did you have (at the POI) that made you think it was a lethal hit? Just curious.
In hindsight, after spending time with Kirk Vaughn that year and Mac, also all of the networking and time I've spent with the best trackers in the country over the past year or so. The best trackers, who use a lead while tracking as is the law in NC, find about 2 out of 10 one lung hits, those are hits not including other organs. With the hit being high and it's location I assumed 1 lung at the worst. I could see my lighted nock from my treestand about 60 yards from the hit site, so I walked right of the trail in a little loop to try and get to the lighted nock at night to inspect arrow, a deer jumped from the thicket to my right when I did that. Me and Kirk tracked at the 20 hour mark or so the next day.

To answer your question, there was zero sign that deer was dead, I had no blood besides arrow and most 1 lung only hits high live too long for an on lead tracking dog

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk