Dog Proof traps & use of anchors/shock springs

Hines

Spike
All,
I've spent the last few years trapping with my father in law on some family land up in Virginia. This will be the first year I've set traps in NC (watching my grandpa 30 yrs ago doesn't count!).

When you use dog proof traps, do you use shock springs between the trap and the anchor? Is that common or uncommon?

I only ask because my father in law doesn't and I'm a little more soft-hearted when it comes to an animal not suffering until I put them down. If there is an argument against using them, please let me hear it. I'm all about learning.

Cam

Four Pointer
I dont use them.But they would be fine to use if you want. Extra swivel would probably help more than the spring i think.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I do use shock springs on DPs but not because I am soft hearted. I use them so I do not have to be concerned with the 8" max chain length to a solid anchor. If I need to use an extension chain/cable to anchor the trap securely, the shock spring allows me to do so and remain legal. If I am in sugar sand in a creek bed with lots of coon tracks, I can still put the trap there and cable it to a tree or root on a high bank and not risk the stake being pulled out of the sand.

And Cam is correct that an extra swivel is probably better but it does not change the 8" max to a solid anchor.

Hines

Spike
Thanks guys, I’m familiar with the regulations. I just don’t have any experience with the DP spring combo. I’ll likely go the swivel route!

Hines

Spike
Stocked up on more swivels at the FTA event this past weekend. Funke had a great booth with some pretty good prices. Nice owner too (not that i've run into a harsh trapping supply owner yet...)

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Allen is a good fella but so are the vast majority of the dealers that service the trappers. It is a tough business in this down fur market and it is a long way from his shop in Iowa to where the FTA was held. We are fortunate to have dealers like Allen and many others that travel a long way and offer competitive prices on the goods they sell. We are back home now but Allen and many others are still on the road getting ready for the PA Convention this weekend.