dog kennels for traveling

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
so, wanting a different travel dog kennel,,,,,have a bunch of what I call "standard" petmate kennels,,,,look like this type,,,,

6c0a0a50-5604-4a4e-a43e-2e788af65736_1.477adf4ac9a98f3d7a35cb8d55b2ff45.jpeg

issue is for the size needed, they are too wide for my application - doable but a pain

looking narrower and while I'm at it, maybe a little tougher,,,,,,,

looking at the Kennebec kennels, the Dakota 283, and the Gunner kennels,,,,,,

Gunners look like the better kennel,,,,but pricy,,,,has a limited lifetime manufacturer warranty,,,,,

Dakota's look decent, but never seen one in person,,,,,one year warranty,,,,cheaper, and cheaper made,,,,,made in USA

Kennebec,,,,workable, about same price as Dakota,,,,made somewhere,,,,one year warranty,,,,,

any others out there I should look at?

Anyone use them Gunners? Worth it?

thanks

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Gunner's look great, but $$$$.

I bought a Ruff Tough. I'm not sure what is the best value, that's just what I ended up with after my search. So far it's working well.

NC Quailhunter

Six Pointer
If I had the extra cash right now I would get the Gunner. I would like the upgrade from the ones that I have. Which are just like the one you have pictured.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I'd love to have a gunner but too $$$$ for me at the moment. I have some buddies who have the ruff tough and really like them.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Tell 'em what size you want, they will make it. Be the last one you ever buy, you can thank me later.

http://www.diamonddeluxe.com/index.php

you know, I had him make me one up for my CJ-8 back when I had it (mid 90s),,,,,,finest dog box I had,,,light weight, etc,,,,,when I go to get a new one for the back of the truck, I'll likely go back to him as the half wood/half metal one (with top storage mind you) monstrosity I have been using for the last 20 years is about on it's last legs, plus it weights 432 lbs,,,,,,,,or at least feels it when I'm offloading,,,,,,,,

the one I'm looking for now will get used for dog sleeping quarters when traveling, back seat of truck (yeap, dang crew cab), etc,,,,

Last edited:

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Tell 'em what size you want, they will make it. Be the last one you ever buy, you can thank me later.

http://www.diamonddeluxe.com/index.php

I just sold one they built for me. Nothing wrong with it, just didn't use it like I thought I would. They built it exactly how I wanted it (storage as a bottom drawer). It was for sale for literally 3 minutes when I posted it on a retriever page on FB before some one bought it.

NC Quailhunter

Six Pointer
I have a two hole Diamond deluxe box that I will let go for the right pirce. It has top storage and all keyed alike. I went down in size in my truck and it doesn't fit anymore.

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
So, what's the application? In a pickup cab or bed? Fly with?

I bought this Dakota 283 Kebbec http://www.cabelas.com/product/DAKOTA-KENNEBEC-KENNEL-NG-MEDIUM/2278255.uts last year for flying Gus to NoDak.

It was a good quality kennel, but I returned it for three reasons.

The back was warped in. This didn't hinder the usefulness of the kennel, but if I'm spending that kind of money, I expect it not to be bent inwards.

It didn't hold stickers. I was flying him under a plane, and the rules said I had to have live animal stickers, and food taped to the top, and the surface didn't allow that. My wife wanted vinyl decals with our contact info on the kennel, and they wouldn't stick either. It sounds petty but its a characteristic I needed for the application.

The door was unimpressive for what it was, no different than a Wal Mart kennel door.

None of this should take away from the fact that it was strong, solid, and looked good (from the front and side.)

I would also caution you against spending real money til you know how big Aggie will be.

My dog was one of the smaller in the litter. At 6 months growth charts said he'd top out at 49 lbs. Hah! He's 70 and skinny.

I know one guy that has a topper on his truck, and a shelf he puts the dog in toward the front half of the bed. He opens the sliding windows or opens the rear window depending on the weather. He has underneath the dogs for storage and the back half of the bed for other stuff, and can keep three dogs. He has loops to tie a lead to the board, but I've never seen him use it.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
So, what's the application? In a pickup cab or bed? Fly with?

I bought this Dakota 283 Kebbec http://www.cabelas.com/product/DAKOTA-KENNEBEC-KENNEL-NG-MEDIUM/2278255.uts last year for flying Gus to NoDak.

It was a good quality kennel, but I returned it for three reasons.

The back was warped in. This didn't hinder the usefulness of the kennel, but if I'm spending that kind of money, I expect it not to be bent inwards.

It didn't hold stickers. I was flying him under a plane, and the rules said I had to have live animal stickers, and food taped to the top, and the surface didn't allow that. My wife wanted vinyl decals with our contact info on the kennel, and they wouldn't stick either. It sounds petty but its a characteristic I needed for the application.

The door was unimpressive for what it was, no different than a Wal Mart kennel door.

None of this should take away from the fact that it was strong, solid, and looked good (from the front and side.)

I would also caution you against spending real money til you know how big Aggie will be.

My dog was one of the smaller in the litter. At 6 months growth charts said he'd top out at 49 lbs. Hah! He's 70 and skinny.

I know one guy that has a topper on his truck, and a shelf he puts the dog in toward the front half of the bed. He opens the sliding windows or opens the rear window depending on the weather. He has underneath the dogs for storage and the back half of the bed for other stuff, and can keep three dogs. He has loops to tie a lead to the board, but I've never seen him use it.

as I mentioned in an earlier post, it's for a dog quarters in a hotel and to put in the backseat of my truck when needed,,,,,,

thanks for feeback on the Dakota 283s

it's not just for Aggie,,,yes she may get some use in it, but it's also for my wife's house dog at times, and other mutts that need a ride.

issue is the ones I have that are larger are wider than they need to be and are a pain to put into the truck (have to get them "just so" to slide in),,,,the ones I listed are all 3-4 inches narrower than the ones I have,,,,for the same sized dogs,,,,,

but since you mentioned Aggie (which gives me an excuse to talk on her) she weighed 33.2 lbs at the vet,,,,,at 4 months and 2 weeks old,

Ruff and Tough kennels are nice. Maybe a little cheaper than the Gunner.

yes, they are cheaper - seen good and bad reviews on them,,,,

I appreciate all the input,,,,now to decide,,,,or just stick with the ones I have,,,,

Last edited:

NC Quailhunter

Six Pointer
I should have gone back and read the part about the backs seat. I didn't catch that. I still like the gunner crates and that is the way I will be going when I get a few bucks together. good luck let us know which one you choose.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I have some cabelas points, a coupon, etc - may pull the trigger on one of those gunner crates -

still thinking on that nice diamond deluxe you have as well,,,beagles need a new ride!!

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
I have some cabelas points, a coupon, etc - may pull the trigger on one of those gunner crates -

still thinking on that nice diamond deluxe you have as well,,,beagles need a new ride!!

It looks like a serious crate. Although, the Ruff Tuff's I like because you can join and stack a little easier.

JOAT

Button Buck
Reviving this old thread. Looking for a good travel kennel for my lab. Anyone have any recommendations? Is the gunner worth it?

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Gunner is worth it IMO. Big and heavy but worth the protection. Lucky duck just released a gunner clone if the intermediate size works for you.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Cant knock a gunner
As mentioned lucky duck is semi-copying
As iwell as primos is making selling a nice one

I like my rufftuff (ruffland now)

JOAT

Button Buck
Thanks fellas. The ruffland seems like a good one but with the extra large, by the time I add shipping, handles, and tiedown mounts, it’s near $500. At that point I think I’m willing to spend the extra $200~ to get to the gunner. The primos and lucky duck look nice as well but I’m thinking they are a touch small.

JOAT

Button Buck
I’m not positive since my male is still growing. Seems like most people with labs have a large. I’d love to know I could get away with an intermediate.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
I’m not positive since my male is still growing. Seems like most people with labs have a large. I’d love to know I could get away with an intermediate.
If your lab is going to be one of the smaller field bred labs in the 50-65lb range get the intermediate. I have the large for my 100lb English lab and it’s almost more room than I like.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

Find someone that has the intermediate and put him in it - i think youll be surprised

My draht is 55 lbs (7 months) and two of him would fit

JOAT

Button Buck
Wow. That helps a lot. Sounds like I need to wait until he’s fully grown and find one to try out.

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
Rufftuff I’ve had mine for years and even though it doesn’t have the features of a gunner I feel confident in my dogs safety.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Wow. That helps a lot. Sounds like I need to wait until he’s fully grown and find one to try out.

or get the intermediate - he doesn't need room to throw a party,,,just to get in, turn around, and lay his but down. You need something to tote him in now don't you?

now if you are flying, most airlines say stand as well - but that intermediate is a tall one.

if it don't work out I expect you can sell it pretty fast

heck - come down this way - you can check mine out in person

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
Reviving this old thread. Looking for a good travel kennel for my lab. Anyone have any recommendations? Is the gunner worth it?
IMO...and this is my opinion and worth what you paid for it, the added cost of a gunner kennel compared to some others isn't worth it. It might be worth it from a longevity standpoint but even there, there's a 15 year old Petsmart kennel that sits in my in-laws garage.

Make no mistake, the gunner is stronger than anything else in the retail marker. But it's also heavy, and overbuilt. I know, some of us think "I want my stuff solid and BUILT TO LAST." But most of us don't hunt with a Perrazzi Trap shotgun, even if we have the money for a Perrazzi. Similarly you aren't likely to take a bench rest rifle on an Elk Hunt. We also need to do a brutal self examination; I know for me, personally, I don't lug the crates out and install them in the car unless I really plan on needing them or I'm travelling with multiple dogs for a long-ish time period. If the kennel is heavy enough that you need someone to help load it, or might decline to load it if your back is feeling tight, it's worth noting.

The Gunner product is impressive, but I'm not convinced that most would see an outcome that's worse with a lesser product, provided that its strapped down. https://pack.gunner.com/2019/06/01/dog-crate-saved-diesel/ Their website has this story. They credit the kennel but they should credit the straps. Click it or ticket, eh? Practically speaking I think the safest place for a dog is in the car/cab, in a crate in the back seat.

I have some experience with crates. I've had 10 fosters in the last two years, German Shorthairs and German Wirehair pointers. I've seen them do some awful stuff to get out of crates. I've come home to dookey plastered over the crate, a pile of bloody drool and plastic chips, and a German Shorthair tracking said dookey all over my couch. I've seen them bend doors and break teeth when they're confined to the crate. I've seen them pop off nine zip ties (I told my wife she needed 10! No Less than 10; that "i told you so" went over like a fart in an elevator). Sometimes its an anxiety thing but there are some dogs that will do it because they're bored, or because they've learned that they can escape if they just work at it, or because they're really irritated you walked away from the truck with a shotgun and left him. My own dog will simply open up the hinge spring doors, because he can, though he lies down and sleeps in a crate with a better door.

So let's start with the basic cheap crate. They usually have hinge doors and they're two pieces with a ledge on the outside.

Next up you have a Ruffland. The materials are much higher quality, it's one piece construction, and there are several different add-ons you can customize. My complaint about the Ruffland is the door. It's a hinge pin and, in my opinion, a bit cheap feeling considering what you pay. That said, you can add a metal door for another $60 bucks. That will eliminate a fair amount of the chewing and contain dogs that are crafty enough to operate the door.

Next is the Dakota G3. I have two. Full disclosure, I like the company, they support an organization I do some testing with. My personal experience with their customer service and leadership has been top notch. I like this kennel because it's lightweight enough to carry with one hand, and has an integrated handle molded into the top. Also, the door is such that its not easy for the dog to escape, and it can lock.

This past weekend I looked over a Primos Kennel. For $500 it looks the part, and is lightweight. The door looked pretty good. For the price, I don't know that I'd chose it over a Gunner or Dakota.

For size? I have a x-large Dakota G3 and it's bigger than what I need. I rarely go somewhere without someone commenting how big my GWP is, though he's only 75 lbs he's tall and lanky. Should have gotten the smaller one. The big exception is this: Do you plan to fly with the dog? If so you need a too-big kennel...They want a kennel the dog can play basketball in.

Honestly for traveling I think that smaller is safer in terms of impact/accident. Remember, it isn't speed that kills you its what rapidly brings you to a stop. That's why cars used to be more fatal: the steering wheel crushed your chest or the steel dash stopped your skull.

kingsize

Four Pointer
I have an intermediate Ruff Land that fits my growing 7 month old 50 lb female well. Don’t think she will need a large when done growing but we will see. It has held up well to daily abuse. When not in use, It fits perfectly on its side under my folding tonneau cover. The gunner is too wide and wouldn’t fit under my bed cover so I considered that when purchasing