Dog kennel flea controll

beavercleaver

Twelve Pointer
My Neibor has 20 hounds and the flea’s are awfull this year.
I have sprayed talastar P for him but the fleas are still awfull.
Anybody got a old fashion cure for flea infestations,or newest and greatest cure .
Feel sorry for dogs and they are getting on my house dogs who are treated, but it takes a little time for them to die so they scratch non stop

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If you get behind on fleas you are screwed. Best defense is a good offense. Imidacloprid is the absolute death followed by a close second bifenthrin on them.

Just wait for it someone will come on and say diatomaceous earth, that :donk:donk:donk:donk is great for marking trees for huggers.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
My dad had a rental house and a renter was evicted. We went over and the place was covered with fleas. They were inside but not near as bad as outside. They would cover you up like crazy. I hit the outside about 2 times a week with bifen and permithrin out of the atv Sprayer. I then hit the inside with just permithrin because i didnt want bifen smell forever. I did that about 2 times a week. It took about 3 weeks but it cured it. I basically sprayed around air vents and the interior perimeter.

You will notice a huge difference as soon as you spray. It will begin killing, but they will be constantly hatching. You basically have to keep spraying for a few weeks. I stopped at three but you could go more. I feel like there was probably enough poison out by then that it could withstand a few weeks without reapplication.

Also, enjoy the lack of mosquitos and fire ants….or any ants…..or anything that is a bug.

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
I had them so bad one year that I had to take the dogs out, spray diesel all over the ground and then burn it several times. May not be easy with that many hounds but it did work well. Then treat and bathe the dogs.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Imidacloprid on the hounds. Then spray the area. Permethrin or other insect killer mixed with an insect growth inhibitor in kennels and entire yard(s). Diesel fuel always seemed to work for the old timers. I always said a match was a sure cure, if the initial application didn't work. 😁

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
We use Imidacloprid. The fleas have been bad for a lot of people this year. We use it for a preventative. I put it on the hounds in June. Then I had my bypass surgery. In August my kennel partner saw signs of fleas. He reapplied. I started back helping with the hounds the first of Sept. A few hounds seemed to still have issues. I reapplied again. Basically, mopping down the worst hound. So far, they are under control but not gone. Keeping a close eye on the situation. Seems like fleas get bad in Sept. I also think our Imidacloprid, looses strength after being open a couple years. Time to renew the prescription next year. Been thinking about going with bravectin (?sp). I hate fleas! Good luck.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Many peoples mileage may vary but permethrin is far from a great choice for fleas. It is very efficient on flies and ticks but you have to use it at a much higher rate for it to do much at all for fleas. There is a bottle of it in my truck right now though so I won’t get caught without any at my camp down east. I am going to put it in my camper so I can replenish my spray bottle. I know the chiggers and ticks gonna be hongry the next six weeks.

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
When we brought our boxer puppy home, he had fleas on him. Wife would wash him and the next day...fleas again. Friend gave me a Seresto collar(pricey) for him. Problem solved. She told me the fleas laid eggs under the skin so when you wash them...the eggs are still there and hatch. She said a regular flea collar, the flea must bite the dog in order for it to kill them. Main thing with fleas is don't let them get started. Breaking the cycle is hard to do.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Been thinking about going with bravectin (?sp). I hate fleas! Good luck.
We switched from bravecto to simparico trio .we love it. It’s a little pricey but we like the fact that it simplifies things as far as flea/tick and heart and a few other types of worm . Not saying it’s the be all, end all for anyone and everyone. I’m never a fan of bragging on a medicine as if it’s a magic bullet lol.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Many peoples mileage may vary but permethrin is far from a great choice for fleas. It is very efficient on flies and ticks but you have to use it at a much higher rate for it to do much at all for fleas. There is a bottle of it in my truck right now though so I won’t get caught without any at my camp down east. I am going to put it in my camper so I can replenish my spray bottle. I know the chiggers and ticks gonna be hongry the next six weeks.
I agree the residual for permethrin is short in the yard and on animals. A lot of tick/flea dips and sprays had it in it. It will kill the fleas it contacts though. That combined with the insect growth inhibitor that sterilizes the fleas in the eggs, so when they hatch it breaks the breeding cycle works. Given the dogs must have a preventative like Imidacloprid so the fleas die when they bite the dog. A person can drive themselves crazy fighting fleas.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
We switched from bravecto to simparico trio .we love it. It’s a little pricey but we like the fact that it simplifies things as far as flea/tick and heart and a few other types of worm . Not saying it’s the be all, end all for anyone and everyone. I’m never a fan of bragging on a medicine as if it’s a magic bullet lol.
Forgot to specify it will NOT take care of whip and tape worms. But if you find a tick on the dog, it’s deader than a hammer . I’ve read some dogs can get tremors from it but we haven’t had any adverse effects so far. Fingers crossed