Dog Hunting in SW Halifax County

Deep River

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Hello,
I am considering a deal to purchase hunting rights on a parcel in Southwest Halifax County, but I don't want to do it if I will have to deal with hunting dogs running back and forth across the property. Does anyone know of folks running dogs a few miles SW of Hollister?

Thanks.

Ambush

Twelve Pointer
Hello,
I am considering a deal to purchase hunting rights on a parcel in Southwest Halifax County, but I don't want to do it if I will have to deal with hunting dogs running back and forth across the property. Does anyone know of folks running dogs a few miles SW of Hollister?

Thanks.

You're in prime deer dogging country. Extreme eastern Halifax is a different story. As a still hunter they will worry you to death. Worse as the season goes on.

pir8rn

Six Pointer
For what its worth, there are generally quite a few dogs running through the gameland in SW Halifax...

1ylab

Six Pointer
Several dog hunting clubs in the area, I'm in one of them. PM the area your looking at and I'll give you the best answer I can.

JFH3006

Ten Pointer
Mostly u will have dogs to deal with but it depends on exactly where it is. Some areas some large farmers have got blocks where they try and do pretty well keeping dogs out.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I would pass on pretty much everything east of I-95, if you want to stay away from dogs.
Actually in Halifax and Northampton counties you are better off on the East side of 95.
Of course there are exceptions but in general there are less dog clubs east of 95 here.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

Ambush

Twelve Pointer
Actually in Halifax and Northampton counties you are better off on the East side of 95.
Of course there are exceptions but in general there are less dog clubs east of 95 here.

Exactly. It was almost like another world when I joined a club twenty years ago, 20 miles east with almost zero dog pressure compared to my home club in northern nash.

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer
I lived in the Hollister area for 7 years. Collarless deer hounds that had been dropped off or abandoned were such a problem, I decided to track how many I took to the pound in one year. I took 26. And that probably wasn't the highest year I lived there.

gregor187

Six Pointer
Hello,

Thanks.

I hunt SW of Holister and have for 30 years...That area is the dog hunting capital of central NC..
I am surprised to hear there is even land availible for lease in this region.
I COMMEND YOU FOR DOING YOUR HOME WORK BEFORE MAKING A DECISON AND BEING UNHAPPY AND MAKING THOSE AROUND YOUR LEASE UNHAPPY AS WELL.
Best of luck on your search sir.

cheapdate

Eight Pointer

That's surprising to hear, but I'll take your word for it. What I meant was counties East of I 95, in general.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
That's surprising to hear, but I'll take your word for it. What I meant was counties East of I 95, in general.
I thought you were speaking of Halifax County specifically, but I see what your saying now.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I will give my input. If you can hunt a spot when the dogs are put up , you can kill some sad daddys. I learned to not still hunt on Saturday evening up in Northampton county. The local dog clubs would turn out at 9am. The rest of the day was over as far as still hunting. Thursdays and Fridays was prime though.
You can kill some nice deer in dog counties.

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer
I will give my input. If you can hunt a spot when the dogs are put up , you can kill some sad daddys. I learned to not still hunt on Saturday evening up in Northampton county. The local dog clubs would turn out at 9am. The rest of the day was over as far as still hunting. Thursdays and Fridays was prime though.
You can kill some nice deer in dog counties.
Some folks gotta work...

Reactions: jug