Does NC have a short Archery season?

MtnMan

Ten Pointer
Our archery season is two months long. Comes in way too early in my opinion. And I love to bow hunt. Too dang hot the first month.

MtnMan

Ten Pointer
you should try the SC early season (August),,,,but the heat isn't so bad, just set your stand in the shade,,,,,
I know what you mean about S C in August. I hunted between Lake Wateree and Camden for 4 years. Terribly hot !!!!!!!! Killed more P&Y skeeters and B&C copperheads than deer. Got tired of huntin for a month and a half and not being able to kill a buck. As you know, bucks weren't legal till Oct. 1 st. We had a 14 inch minimum on bucks. After Sept 30 th we hardly ever saw anything 14 inches wide or bigger. Oh yeah, we killed some purdy good rattlers too.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I know what you mean about S C in August. I hunted between Lake Wateree and Camden for 4 years. Terribly hot !!!!!!!! Killed more P&Y skeeters and B&C copperheads than deer. Got tired of huntin for a month and a half and not being able to kill a buck. As you know, bucks weren't legal till Oct. 1 st. We had a 14 inch minimum on bucks. After Sept 30 th we hardly ever saw anything 14 inches wide or bigger. Oh yeah, we killed some purdy good rattlers too.

interesting,,,,in my experience, the early season has been buck only - doe doesn't open till mid-Sept or later, been that way since I've hunted down there - all zones

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
I enjoy the opportunity to hunt deer that are still on their summer pattern for a week or so. It actually gives you an opportunity at bucks you will never see again tell the next summer, put your cameras out and you will see what I'm talking about.