Does anyone build or repair flyrods?

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
When I went home for Christmas I found my Grandpa's Fenwick flyrod still in its aluminum case out in the open with a bunch of scrap aluminum in the shed.
My mother's house was damaged by hurricane Michael and this rod was obviously taken out of the house by volunteers and thrown out with the trash.
The rod was still in it's flannel wrap, tied for the last time in 1978 by my Grandpa. He loved that rod. It was soaking wet and probably from salt water and rain water leaking in. It destroyed the finish on the rod but it still looks like it can be salvaged.
Anyone's help would be appreciated.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Hope you find someone that was good catch to save it I have my grandpaws old rod and reel will on occasion take it up to trout fish tons of memories in that thing I wouldn't take thousand dollars for it. Bet you could find place on net there are lot real proud fly rod builders out west bet they restore to

darenative

Twelve Pointer
They have several products out to restore the finish on the blank. The urethane products work the best. The one ive had luck with is a catalyzed single part urethane that came from mudhole tackle. (cant remember the product name). Ive used it a couple of times on my stuff when doing full rewraps after stripping off guide wraps and base wrap. I guess you could try it on the blank with the guides still on the rod, but it would be difficult.
The products ive tried didnt provide a finish that was as long lasting or as durable as a factory finish on the blank, but was better than a spotty failing factory finish...if that makes sense.

U40 permagloss...just went and looked in my rod wrapping tote..and it has a fairly short shelf life judging by the condition of the contents in the bottle

Last edited:

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Is it the finish on the rod wrap or the finish on the blank that's shot? Or both?
After washing it good with warm water there are some areas where the finish on the rod itself is rough like sandpaper and in those areas it's discolored to a dull or whitish color. The wrappings are in great shape and I don't think the finish is deteriorated but just discolored on them for the most part. There are a couple of air pockets in the final wrap on the butt end of the rod but the others look good and solid.
I'm letting it dry in the corner by a vent in hopes that some of the moisture will dry out of the finish and only the rough patches will remain, if that happens I'm planning to take it bream fishing really soon in his honor.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yes.
Fish with it and see how it does and what else ya want done to it.
I've used a scotch brite pad very lightly on it and got some of the white buildup off of the rod and wraps.
I'm gonna give it another week and see if it reappears then go from there.