Doe Bedding

possumpatrol

Button Buck
How close wI’ll does bed to food either a food plot or a field? If there’s adequate screening between the field and the bedding?

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
17 years ago I over slept. Woke up at 7:15. I was livid with myself. I rushed to get dressed. Walked 75 yards to the stand. Climbed up and turned around. A doe was laying down staring straight at me. We'd been no more than 20 feet apart. I figure she'd watched me climb up. She stood up. Looked at me again and started eating. I chambered a round and she blew. 15 yards behind her, I heard a thrash and saw antlers in the brush. They both took off.

They'll bed about as close as they feel comfortable. Her nose had to be in the corn pile while she was sleeping. The grass was about a 18 inches tall.

buckman4c

Spike
How close wI’ll does bed to food either a food plot or a field? If there’s adequate screening between the field and the bedding?
Depends.
Terrain features or cover they prefer could put them right next to or 150 yards away. "Typically", in the early season their not far away from open food sources. As acorns and other food sources become available they may move further away from the open areas. There really is no concrete answer to this as every property is a little different from the next but I would say areas with heavier hunting pressure see significantly less day time activity in open food sources. Baiting is a whole other story I have limited experience.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
as close as they want.
does will not always want the heavy cover we think all deer have to have.
it's one reason they show up in waves on destination food. Some are walking further to get there.
I don't know what you mean on screening but a cutover beside a food source doesn't have much "screening" and it surely works well.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Back in WV, our family farm has a large hayfield (30 acres or so) in the middle of the property. Around that is hardwood forest, with little to no screening cover between the open floor of the forest and the field. There is a barbwire fence separating them. I regularly see does bedding just inside of the woods along the fence, within clear view of the field.