Dodge Charger Heat Not Working - New Dodge ad

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Both in my truck will run your azz out.

my work truck was a 1500 slt or something. It was 4 door but had the little backseat. 2016 I think with the 5.7. It had plenty of power. The ac and heat would both run you out......after about 45 mins. The entire drive to work in the wintertime was cold. Unless you were on the road at least a half hour, ac wouldn’t really be noticed. The defrost took forever also.

I was way too use to my k1500. Freezing cold in maybe 10 minutes. Heat/defrost. Usually less than 5 minutes. 10 minutes on a windshield frozen over. No need for driver unless the doors were froze shut.

CarolinaReaper

Glad you got it figured out. Was beginning to get worried about ya. Hard to pick up the real pretty girls in a cold car.... gotta stay with the more homely then....

It was for sure a determining factor on how good I was going to have it. 😂 😂

CarolinaReaper

Well boys, just MIGHT be starting to change my tune on the whole mopar or no car outlook.

The last few weeks I'v been hearing a dull sort of rubbing, rotating, clicking noise coming from my car. Speeds up and slows down with the vehicle. Sounded at first like maybe an exhaust leak or possibly the rotors. Which is what I had my local shop look at for me yesterday. Turns out it's neither. It's my damn driveshaft. 😤 It's starting to eat away at one of the bearings apparently. It's not shaking or vibrating yet, but the noise is audible the minute you begin to accelerate. Seems like each day it gets just a little louder. It's apparently a common issue with how Dodge built them in the car.

So I took it by Oliver's Driveshaft shop in Winston. Just about everyone and their brother recommended them for the job. They told me the way those are built into the chargers and Challengers, you can't fix a certain part on one, you have to replace the driveshaft entirely. They quoted me $1100 for the new driveshaft and install. There goes my rainy day fund.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
So I took it by Oliver's Driveshaft shop in Winston. Just about everyone and their brother recommended them for the job. They told me the way those are built into the chargers and Challengers, you can't fix a certain part on one, you have to replace the driveshaft entirely. They quoted me $1100 for the new driveshaft and install. There goes my rainy day fund.

Say what?!? Like this?

Hell buy it if it fits and I’ll put it on for $100

CarolinaReaper

CarolinaReaper

@CarolinaReaper Don’t be intimidated by a driveshaft install yourself. It’s literally easier than changing a flat tire.

Brother I can tell ya right now, if there's a way to screw it up, I'd find it lol. I'm not sure exactly what Im gonna do yet. They penciled me in for the 7th of March. So it gives me a little time to think about it. I'm just frustrated to be honest.

JoeR

Eight Pointer
That's crummy. If you've got a hemi in it, save your money for camshafts next.
Disclaimer: Mechanics can be jaded sometimes because they know the pattern failures of cars, and often think of them as being more problematic than they are. Cars with hemis that don't idle a lot, and have good oil put in them can last quite a while before they fail.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
@CarolinaReaper Don’t be intimidated by a driveshaft install yourself. It’s literally easier than changing a flat tire.
Not on his it isn't. I helped on a car very similar to his about a year ago. The exhaust system had to come down. It has some electronics you have to be careful not to break the plugs attached to each side of the exhaust right at the rear axle that has to come loose. If it has been on there long enough the front connection where it attaches to the trans it has a little sleeve that slides in about 1/2". They rust solid and it is a bitch to get that end loose.

If he has a buddy that is mechanically inclined at all and they have concrete to do it on still it would beat shucking out $4-500 in labor. Two people could do it easily in 3 hours.

LIZZRD

Eight Pointer
I had a slant 6 in a '76 Duster . I did cyl. head work, decked .030 and ported to match Offenhauser intake and Hooker headers.
Fitted a larger Holley 2bbl on there also. It ran much better, but a turbo is a game changer .

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You have one of the best drive shaft sources available in Winston Salem and not far from you at all. Give them a call and see what the part is, or call Dennis Automotive in Pfafftown and see what he can do for you. It sounds like you need to stop looking at dealerships to fix that. No way a driveshaft should be that darn expensive !

CarolinaReaper

You have one of the best drive shaft sources available in Winston Salem and not far from you at all. Give them a call and see what the part is, or call Dennis Automotive in Pfafftown and see what he can do for you. It sounds like you need to stop looking at dealerships to fix that. No way a driveshaft should be that darn expensive !

Well the price quote for the driveshaft was at Olivers on liberty street, in Winston. Trust me, I don’t plan on taking anything back to the dealership. Kernersville Dodge charges $279 to “diagnose” your problem. That’s before the first bolt is turned.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Kernersville Dodge charges $279 to “diagnose” your problem. That’s before the first bolt is turned.
You’re gonna see more and more of that.

Diagnostics take time and knowledge, techs work on commission…time and knowledge is money…

That upfront charge(that’s *usually* applied as a credit to the bill) just cuts down on the riff raff that want something for nothing.

CarolinaReaper

You’re gonna see more and more of that.

Diagnostics take time and knowledge, techs work on commission…time and knowledge is money…

That upfront charge(that’s *usually* applied as a credit to the bill) just cuts down on the riff raff that want something for nothing.

The only issue I have with that is, some folks are essentially able to tell the techs what’s wrong, but they’d still wanna charge you the $280. But I suppose it makes sense. I don’t like it lol but I get it

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The only issue I have with that is, some folks are essentially able to tell the techs what’s wrong, but they’d still wanna charge you the $280. But I suppose it makes sense. I don’t like it lol but I get it
and those same people who KNOW whats wrong would be the first ones the B$*%^ , moan, and bash on social, demand their money back etc. if the tech "fixed" what they owner said was wrong and it did not correct the problem.

CarolinaReaper

She’s expensive and causes me some headaches. But damn is she pretty cleaned up. Hope y’all have a good weekend.

01D275F4-D50F-4D80-A8A8-B63B8D9387D9.jpeg