Do you support legalizing the following for taking spring season turkeys in NC?

I support legalizing the following for turkey hunting

• Unprocessed food products

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Pistols/handguns

Votes: 14 60.9%
  • Rifles

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • Air powered arrowguns/airbows

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • Atlatls/spears

Votes: 14 60.9%
  • Dogs

• Live decoys

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Electronic calls

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • Other

• Total voters

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Pen traps baited with corn , catch a whole flock.

Mike

Forget that!

I sat in a tent with Wayne Bailey on the Pisgah NF in Burke County back in the old days of trap/release.

You sit there for hours and watch a pile of drugged corn.....when the turkeys arrive and start eating you run out of the tent and try to catch them before they consume too much........chasing a half drugged turkey ain't a whole lotta fun......if you catch a gobbler you're gonna get flogged and spurred....if you catch a hen you're still gonna get flogged.

If they eat too much they can die, if they eat too little they'll get away!

You have to watch the site until all the corn is consumed. Either that or clean up the leftover corn when you leave every day. You can't leave a large pile for the deer to eat that night.......imagine drugged deer!!!

I was sure happy when they came up with cannon nets...........put out corn.........wait til they gathered in the bait......shoot!!

AND I cannot believe I replied to one of CRC's inane threads!! :mad::mad::mad:

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Forget that!

I sat in a tent with Wayne Bailey on the Pisgah NF in Burke County back in the old days of trap/release.

You sit there for hours and watch a pile of drugged corn.....when the turkeys arrive and start eating you run out of the tent and try to catch them before they consume too much........chasing a half drugged turkey ain't a whole lotta fun......if you catch a gobbler you're gonna get flogged and spurred....if you catch a hen you're still gonna get flogged.

If they eat too much they can die, if they eat too little they'll get away!

You have to watch the site until all the corn is consumed. Either that or clean up the leftover corn when you leave every day. You can't leave a large pile for the deer to eat that night.......imagine drugged deer!!!

I was sure happy when they came up with cannon nets...........put out corn.........wait til they gathered in the bait......shoot!!

AND I cannot believe I replied to one of CRC's inane threads!! :mad::mad::mad:

OMG!!! Are there any videos of the...ummm...crazy people chasing/fighting with doped up turkeys?? Man...that would likely draw tears. Oh lort.

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
You thinkin 'bout fishin, turkeys can't swim no way so you could cast a lead sinker and hit 'em in the head.... that an option??

think about it. I trailer my boat to a nice field with a few decoys, camo up, put a fan headdress on, and wait for he flock to come close enough. I could probably get 9-10 birds in a cast if they're bunched up.

then I could pick out the best bird for flock management and release the rest.

and no lead shot!

Hmmm, I wonder if you can get a tungsten weighted cast net.

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
OMG!!! Are there any videos of the...ummm...crazy people chasing/fighting with doped up turkeys?? Man...that would likely draw tears. Oh lort.

Doubt that! This was serious business!

These were Stone Age days......cameras weighed too much and were too cumbersome. Besides every man was needed when the S hit the F.

If we were lucky we'd catch 5 or 6 turkeys in a day. Then we were tasked with carrying them out to the truck.

When cannon nets came along it wasn't unusual to catch 20-30 birds in one shot..........The Club I belong to in Chester County SC allowed the NCWRC to trap on 1 tract of our land and in 2 shots they caught 60-something to be released in the Piedmont area of NC. You guys hunting the middle of the State are perhaps hunting birds with SC lineage.

Different agencies cooperated back then. I remember an offer from WVa to exchange their turkeys for NC river otters. Another offer was turkeys for grouse.........

It took a few years to learn that mountain birds need to be released in the mountains. Piedmont birds in the Piedmont, etc.

The NCWRC trapped some birds on LeJeune and released them in the Polk County area of WNC but they soon died out. Biologists I talked to said it takes 5-7 years before birds can become acclimated to the new areas they are released in.

This educational article has been brought to you courtesy of Sunday morning newspaper being late.........

grim reaper

Ten Pointer
Doubt that! This was serious business!

These were Stone Age days......cameras weighed too much and were too cumbersome. Besides every man was needed when the S hit the F.

If we were lucky we'd catch 5 or 6 turkeys in a day. Then we were tasked with carrying them out to the truck.

When cannon nets came along it wasn't unusual to catch 20-30 birds in one shot..........The Club I belong to in Chester County SC allowed the NCWRC to trap on 1 tract of our land and in 2 shots they caught 60-something to be released in the Piedmont area of NC. You guys hunting the middle of the State are perhaps hunting birds with SC lineage.

Different agencies cooperated back then. I remember an offer from WVa to exchange their turkeys for NC river otters. Another offer was turkeys for grouse.........

It took a few years to learn that mountain birds need to be released in the mountains. Piedmont birds in the Piedmont, etc.

The NCWRC trapped some birds on LeJeune and released them in the Polk County area of WNC but they soon died out. Biologists I talked to said it takes 5-7 years before birds can become acclimated to the new areas they are released in.

This educational article has been brought to you courtesy of Sunday morning newspaper being late.........
May not have been filmed but it is definitely well documented. There's a pdf out there that shows everything. Nc did trade river otters for wva turkeys and I hunt turkeys with sc and wva lineage. Florida also gifted nc birds once or twice. Every release site for each county and where the birds came from is available. That's awesome you were a part of it

Reactions: DRS

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
May not have been filmed but it is definitely well documented. There's a pdf out there that shows everything. Nc did trade river otters for wva turkeys and I hunt turkeys with sc and wva lineage. Florida also gifted nc birds once or twice. Every release site for each county and where the birds came from is available. That's awesome you were a part of it
I agree- @wturkey01 Thank You!

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Dogs are actually legal for a portion of the turkey season in some counties on private lands.

(b) In the area of the State lying east of that described in subsection (a), the Wildlife Resources Commission may not restrict or prohibit the use of dogs in hunting or the training of dogs, in season or out, except during the breeding and raising seasons for game during the period April 15 through June 15.

Hunting season opens in North Carolina on April 2. The youth season is April 2 – 8, and the statewide season is April 9 – May 7 (2022)

So prior to April 15th use a dog. Its legal in certain counties

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Dogs are actually legal for a portion of the turkey season in some counties on private lands.

Hunting season opens in North Carolina on April 2. The youth season is April 2 – 8, and the statewide season is April 9 – May 7 (2022)

Not sure where you got your info about hunting Wild Turkeys w/ dogs in the Spring in NC, but many moons ago that is how they were hunted in the Fall in NC. Bird dogs typically would bust up a flock of Turkeys & the hunter would call w/ kee kees in order to get them to reassemble. Some hunters would place their dog in a burlap sack, while attempting to call the turkeys back in.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

you really should read more for comprehension instead of relying on googling,,,

read page 55 of the current regs (emphasis added),,,

Except for deer and bear as described above, hunting game animals and game birds (except for wild turkey) with dogs is allowed in all counties
of the state, subject to the restrictions applied by local laws and game land rules. See “Local Laws” and “Game Lands” sections

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Sorry but except for game lands what I posted is the law.

The WRC has no authority to restrict the use of dogs outside of the April 15th-June 15th time frame in eastern NC.

And they know this.

(b) In the area of the State lying east of that described in subsection (a), the Wildlife Resources Commission may not restrict or prohibit the use of dogs in hunting or the training of dogs, in season or out, except during the breeding and raising seasons for game during the period April 15 through June 15.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

The WRC has no authority to restrict the use of dogs outside of the April 15th-June 15th time frame in eastern NC.

And they know this.

We’ll load up your dogs and come on down here to my private land and turkey hunt with them and we’ll see how it goes for you

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

And they know this.

Except they do have the authority to restrict dogs for specific game. You eluded that dogs were legal to use in certain parts of the state for turkey which you know is plainly a lie because it is explicitly stated in the manner of take that they are prohibited for turkey. What the law you are speaking of is actually referring to is training, because basically there is no other season open during that time other than groundhog, hog and coyote other than turkey. They farther closed the loophole a few years ago when they stopped the running of dogs period on GL during certain periods.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Argue with this, I know reading comprehension isn't your forte but it covers exactly what you think you are reading there. And pay close attention to the part in bold. It clearly states that hunting turkeys with dogs is prohibited PERIOD. And they do have the power to enforce that.

Hunting with Dogs
• It is unlawful to hunt, run or chase deer at any
time in these counties and all counties west
of the line they form: Rockingham, Guilford,
Randolph, Montgomery, Stanly and Union
counties. See map on page 68. This does not
apply to the use of a single dog on a leash
to assist the hunter in retrieving a dead or
wounded deer (see “Retrieval”).
• It is unlawful to hunt, run or chase deer at any
time in these counties and parts of counties:
» Alamance
» Anson west of N.C. 742
» Chatham
» Chowan south of U.S. Highway 17 and
U.S. Highway 17 Business and east of a
line drawn from the intersection of the
western city limits of the Town of Edenton
and U.S. Highway 17 Business and ex-
tending due south to the Albemarle Sound
» Durham
» Johnston
» Lee
» Orange south of I-85
» Richmond west of Little River and that
portion east of Little River and bounded
by N.C. 73 to the north, by Hough Road
to the east, and by Grassy Island Road
to the south.
» Wayne
» Wake south of N.C. 98
NOTE: This does not apply to the use of a
single dog on a leash to assist the hunter in
retrieving a wounded deer (see “Retrieval”).
• In all other counties hunting deer with dogs
is allowed, but local law may impose further
restrictions. See “Local Laws” section.
• In counties where hunting deer with dogs is
allowed, game land rules may prohibit this
activity. See “Game Lands” section.
• It is unlawful to hunt bears with dogs in the
following counties:
Alamance south of I-85, Anson west of N.C.
Hwy 742, Cabarrus, Chatham, Davie, David-
son, Forsyth, Gaston, Guilford, Lee, Lincoln,
Mecklenburg, Montgomery, Orange south of
I-85, Pamlico (per local law), Randolph, Rock-
ingham, Rowan, Stanly, Union, and Wake
south of N.C. Hwy 98. See map on page 65.
• Except for deer and bear as described above,
hunting game animals and game birds (except
for wild turkey)
with dogs is allowed in all coun
-
ties of the state, subject to the restrictions
applied by local laws and game land rules.

See “Local Laws” and “Game Lands” sections.
• It is unlawful to intentionally remove or de-
stroy an electronic collar or other electronic
device placed on a dog by its owner to main-
tain control of the dog.
Training Dogs
• It is unlawful to run or chase deer during
closed season, except when under the con -
trol of the owner. This applies only to coun-
ties where hunting deer with dogs is allowed.
In counties or parts thereof and game lands
where hunting deer with dogs is prohibited,
running or chasing deer is prohibited at all
times. See map on page 67. This does not
apply to the use of a single dog on a leash
to assist the hunter in retrieving a wounded
deer (see “Retrieval”).
• Except as allowed in authorized field trials and
training using domestically raised waterfowl
or game birds, it is unlawful to possess axes

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
No they don't.

State and local law trumps the regulations digest. Always has.

They only have authority in certain counties and parts of counties and on game lands.

I posted a link to the law. Read it.

Regulation of dogs used in hunting; limitations on authority of Wildlife Resources Commission; control of dogs on game lands; control of dogs chasing deer; other restrictions.

Last edited: