Do you have a deer hunting partner?

My dad has been my hunting partner since I was five years old. That was 50 years again. Wow, where did it go. Pop is almost 80 now and is starting to have trouble getting around. We can’t venture out like we used to so I bought a small place 3 years ago in Lincoln county to build my house and we now hunt here when he come down from West Virginia.

I am hoping to go to WV and hunt with him next week Lord willing. But when he is gone I guess it will be just me as my son and 2 sons in law don’t care for it. Maybe a grandson to hunt with some day.

In the mean time I am thankful for being blessed with the time we have for now.

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Dad grew up during the late 50’s/60’s when the deer population was very slim, one of his best story’s is of him & grandpa being out by a creek bottom in Sampson Co in the early 60’s, & a buck walked by at 30-40 yards. They were squirrel hunting, so Grandpa only had a Remington 550 22, he got off 3 shots & about a 75 yard recovery.

So Dad took me small game hunting & fishing, but deer hunting wasn’t his thing. He helped me out at the lease we had from ‘12-‘20, got his first couple deer. Now dealing with sciatica & the aftermath of the back fusion, he is very unstable on his feet. We haven’t hunted together since 2019, it makes me wish I could find a club or a permission spot just so I could get him back in a stand.

Currently my 28 yr old cousin is my usual hunting partner. I’ve taken him since he was 13-14, was with him the day he got his first deer. We both enjoy public land & he’s a trooper when it comes to hiking back a ways.