Do you even care now?

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
I'm wondering .... if the sports fans in America would and could actually go through with their threats of not watching (and actually living their own lives rather than living vicariously through the athletes), and the sports teams tanked ....

... Since blacks are over-represented in those venues ... how long before they called America / all former sports fans ... "RACISTS"?? :D :D

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
I'm wondering .... if the sports fans in America would and could actually go through with their threats of not watching (and actually living their own lives rather than living vicariously through the athletes), and the sports teams tanked ....

... Since blacks are over-represented in those venues ... how long before they called America / all former sports fans ... "RACISTS"?? :D :D
Just as soon as the $$$$ run out I’d say.

Rubline

Twelve Pointer
I was pretty bummed out when the NCAA basketball tournament was cancelled. Since getting used to the idea of a world without sports entertainment, I've learned I can live without it. Plenty of other things to do to keep busy.

I think you meant to say plenty of other things that your wife tells you to do to keep busy.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
What I think is sad is that while many of us have found other things to occupy our time in a good way, the youth today have lost what in many ways used to be a family gathering time. I can't even count how many times my dad and I, or on certain days my dad would invite the whole family over, and watch the Miami Dolphins or Miami Hurricanes play a big game. There would often be 3 generations (a couple times 4) of a family cooking, eating, watching the game, then cleaning up and finishing by playing cards and either bragging about the win or complaining about why the team lost. This goes on throughout our entire country, EVERY time certain teams play. Gatherings, spectator-ship, emotions and family wide high fives or pillow diving "NOOOOO!"s have been around for a long time.

Trying to boycott, or even overcome that established routine imho will take a lot more than a % of people no longer following. Sadly, I feel that most kids now just replaces LIVE sports with their video games. Like Tip stated, we won't amount to a hill of beans in the end game.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
What I think is sad is that while many of us have found other things to occupy our time in a good way, the youth today have lost what in many ways used to be a family gathering time. I can't even count how many times my dad and I, or on certain days my dad would invite the whole family over, and watch the Miami Dolphins or Miami Hurricanes play a big game. There would often be 3 generations (a couple times 4) of a family cooking, eating, watching the game, then cleaning up and finishing by playing cards and either bragging about the win or complaining about why the team lost. This goes on throughout our entire country, EVERY time certain teams play. Gatherings, spectator-ship, emotions and family wide high fives or pillow diving "NOOOOO!"s have been around for a long time.

Trying to boycott, or even overcome that established routine imho will take a lot more than a % of people no longer following. Sadly, I feel that most kids now just replaces LIVE sports with their video games. Like Tip stated, we won't amount to a hill of beans in the end game.

Seems to me it could easily transition to better quality family time than sitting in front of a tv arguing over a GAME. The options are wide open and much better for the family unit.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

Well... if you boycott, then you are racist already. So my guess is it wouldn’t take very long.

I do miss sports, and I’m not a rabid fan of anything. I rarely pay to attend a game in person and rarely alter my daily schedule to catch a game. That said, our family watched a fair amount of sports in the evenings or on Saturday or Sunday afternoons. College football, basketball and baseball, golf, and NFL mostly. It was one of the few things left on tv that is relatively wholesome, and has real entertainment value. It’s the only reason we still have satellite. Tv shows are trash, and most movies are not wholesome enough to let the kids watch either.
Watching sports taught competition, teamwork, and strategy. Our 4th grade son’s AIG assignment last fall was to create a fantasy football team and track the statistics, having a friendly competition with classmates. I thought that was an excellent task, as it taught all kinds of lessons.

There are plenty of alternatives that we can and have substituted, but it is still something we enjoyed as a family. I won’t pretend otherwise or say that sports have no value. In fact, sporting competition WAS one of the great unifiers in our country and throughout the world before it was highjacked by politics. People of all races, colors, and religions would unite (or take sides) to pull for their team or university. It is sad that even sports has become a politically divisive tool. I wouldn’t mind the sports leagues taking a hit or some even folding completely (NBA, MLS), but I’m not willing to say that sports, even professional sports has no value.

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
Spending a whole lot more “front porch” time with my wife & 2 boys and their families on Sunday afternoons now. That’s priceless !

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
I managed to get out of the house today. Got a badly needed haircut. Then went to visit the people that own the land I hunt.
A friend from all the way back in Jr. High lives on the same road so stopped in to visit him and his wife. No TV on, just talked life, guns, and hunting.
I will adjust, just gonna take some time. Done with the political manipulation and overall panty-wastes that are major league sports and MSM.

Triggermortis

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I no longer watch NBA and will no longer be watching any NFL. Jury is still out on MLB - they have until today to agree upon what they are doing this year.

I am disappointed that NHL is not on. My daughter likes the Canes big time and it's the only sports that we might watch as a family. They at least have a plan in place to have Stanley Cup playoffs beginning next month.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Sports?
Just when we may get some pro leagues in play we get demands for apologies from the players for our past boycotts or from the leagues for not supporting .......

Do they not realize that the world just figured out how "essential" pro sports were?

Yes I still care. I have never cared what their politics is/was/will be. I like and watch the physical competition. I did not stop watching the Olympics because they had Communist nations compete. Athletes are people and leagues are made up of lots of them. There are people from all sides of the political isle just like anywhere else. They have the same rights to speak as the rest of us do.. and I have the right to ignore them, which I do on the regular.

What I am done with, for the time being is most Non-Event ESPN shows and even a lot of sports talk radio. I used to like Around the Horn and such shows but now all they talk is politics in one form or another. I would like to think that is simply because with no actual sports being played (or very little) that they are stretching for content.. but if it continues once we are back to normal then I am out for good. ESPN had started to pivot away from allowing on-air personalities to express political leanings.. afraid this crap may swing that the other way.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Do I care? As much as I ever cared. Which wasn't much.

But I do miss the NHL and I miss being able to watch a few innings of baseball.

I am irritated about the Olympics being cancelled. That's one thing I really like, I like all the sports we don't see much and I like the international competition aspect of it.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Yes I still care. I have never cared what their politics is/was/will be. I like and watch the physical competition. I did not stop watching the Olympics because they had Communist nations compete. Athletes are people and leagues are made up of lots of them. There are people from all sides of the political isle just like anywhere else. They have the same rights to speak as the rest of us do.. and I have the right to ignore them, which I do on the regular.

Again...a moderate is just someone who isn't willing to take a strong stance on something. Saaaaaad. Baaaaaaaaaa. ;)

chef

Ten Pointer

Getting closer to early 1930's germany

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

Getting closer to early 1930's germany

Yes, only “proper” venues are tolerated,,,otherwise you get bad social media exposure

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Again...a moderate is just someone who isn't willing to take a strong stance on something. Saaaaaad. Baaaaaaaaaa. ;)
So what are your thoughts on those that say “I wish ESPN/the athletes would stick to sports?”

Which is one of the reasons I like sports radio, it avoids some of the outside political noise, not right now, though I’ll give them a pass since there are little to no sports to talk about.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Yes, only “proper” venues are tolerated,,,otherwise you get bad social media exposure
I have had the privilege of playing for a handful of very successful football coaches, and personally knowing a few more. They all tend to be cut from the same cloth. They're highly opinionated but all have conveyed that an important part of the job is that you don't want to convey too much about what you personally think. Say nothing about politics or anything else, and speak in circular cliches to boosters, the press, parents.

More than anything, football coaches hate distractions, much less one they create themselves. To quote one that was giving a lecture/dressing down to a player that had been reported to the coach for blasting loud rap music in the parking lot, "I'm not so upset that you did it, I'm upset that we're sitting here addressing it when we all have better things to do."

BoonDock

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

What if you want your gay friend to protect their marijuana plants with assault weapons while living in a privatized school district? Then when he shoots the guy trying to steal his legal marijuana plants, he gets care in a privatized healthcare system!

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
reading some espn scroll in a restaraunt last evening makes me think college football season is in jeopardy.
clemson 25 positive test out of 130 players
LSU several in quarantine
ksu stops for two weeks
ucla players boycotting due to health concerns

i had no idea that things were blowing up like this already.

DC-DXT

Twelve Pointer
reading some espn scroll in a restaraunt last evening makes me think college football season is in jeopardy.
ksu stops for two weeks

And these are just a limited number of athletes showing up for workouts, wait until 20-30K students show up on campus. Wife is a professor and she is hearing of students taking the fall semester or entire school year off until everything passes.

I'm not too confident in fall sports occurring, at least not with fans.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Just wait if you do start season and the scandals over not testing star players due to them being in quarantine for 2 weeks missing potential big games among many other things. the mess of this will be non stop.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
ksu stops for two weeks

While I get your point, my thoughts are pretty simple.. if they all have it now.. they will be over it long before the season starts. The public is caring less and less about this thing and that will continue the longer we go and folks get comfortable with the very small risk of catastrophic results.

People who what to be out an about are getting out and about.. wife and daughter went to the mall over the weekend.. said it was a lot like Christmas in there.. some wearing mask but 50/50 at best.. take a look at pictures of Glennwood South over the weekend.. that is what started the whole mandatory mask BS in Raleigh to begin with over Memorial Day weekend.. the GAF of the majority of people is waning.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I'll admit it. I miss baseball. And I miss Sports Radio having sports to talk about when I get tired of the news or politics on the radio, which is most of the time now.

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
i watched more sporting events this year than in several years combined, think i watched 2 quarters of the Super Bowl.
Does Gretzky still play for the oilers?