DMV and trailer titles

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
Anybody else waiting to get a title back. I sold one to my dad back in Oct. and we been waiting on the title to come back...hasn't came back. Was told 6-8 weeks at first. Went back to the DMV last week to ask about it. Was told they moving the place that does titles to rocky mount NC and its going to take 4 months to get a trailer title. I'm not sure what to make of all of this...feels like they lost our title. Anybody having this issue?

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
I just registered a new trailer last week. The lady at the license plate agency said it would probably be three or four months before I got the title. I thought that seemed like a long time but didn't ask why.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I know legislature approved a move of those services to Rocky Mount, but don't think the change has been made yet. The process of moving from Raleigh is being argued, and not completely settled yet. Other than that, I'm not sure of why there are delays. I changed one of my vehicles into my sons name about 3 months ago and had the new title in about 3 weeks.
On a side note, I renewed a boat registration over two weeks ago, with the temp expiring today. I haven't recieved my new stickers, and a call yesterday returned the claim they had been mailed but they'll send another set, as the first must have gotten lost in the mail... So, delays are not limited to DMV it would appear.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Sent in to renew my truck tags beginning of Dec. Still no registration or sticker.

Something for sure is up.
The word was many from DMV were jumping ship to move to other jobs to stay local not wanting to drive over an hr to work each day.

flathead977

Ten Pointer
I renewed truck tags the last week of Dec. and had my new one with a week and a half, even with the holidays. No problem there. No idea on title problems though.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I renewed truck tags the last week of Dec. and had my new one with a week and a half, even with the holidays. No problem there. No idea on title problems though.
Did you mail or online?

Mine was weighted tag in mail. I can't do the weighted tag online last I tried.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Did you mail or online?

Mine was weighted tag in mail. I can't do the weighted tag online last I tried.

Not sure why you can't. I've been doing it for years without any hiccups. Renew all my tags online, with two being weighted.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Great, I have one I need to go get titled. Is there still an office in Raleigh that can help with this?

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Great, I have one I need to go get titled. Is there still an office in Raleigh that can help with this?

There should be several tag agencies in the Raleigh area. Only thing slated to relocate is the State agency.. Google NC Tag Agency/Raleigh or key that into your maps app for closest agency to you.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I know legislature approved a move of those services to Rocky Mount, but don't think the change has been made yet. The process of moving from Raleigh is being argued, and not completely settled yet. Other than that, I'm not sure of why there are delays. I changed one of my vehicles into my sons name about 3 months ago and had the new title in about 3 weeks.
On a side note, I renewed a boat registration over two weeks ago, with the temp expiring today. I haven't recieved my new stickers, and a call yesterday returned the claim they had been mailed but they'll send another set, as the first must have gotten lost in the mail... So, delays are not limited to DMV it would appear.
Boat stuff has always been traditionally slower. I did a truck about 6 weeks ago and like you it was 2-3 weeks turn around time.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Not sure, but definitely first I've heard of that.
Just got off the phone with DMV.
They changed August 2019 to let you renew weighted tags.
He said that I could have done them this year (Dec) but that was why I was given the errors saying they need to be done by mail or in person....

I knew they had changed a bunch of stuff but did not think to try this year after not being able to in the past.

One other thing is the life time tags for campers.... mine has the lifetime tag. They will not let you get them for campers now.

Next year I get to do it online......
They still have no record of my tag in the works and I sent it in around Dec 15th...
It is clear they are backed up.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
When did they enact the change on campers? We have permanent tags on all our trailers, including the camper which we got last March. I like the lack of hassle of not having to renew annually, and we were thinking of getting another camper. Gonna be a bummer having to revert to annual..
And, I still not sure why you couldn't renew that weighted tag, county of residence maybe? We have the tax and tag program here that may be the difference???

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Yours a toy hauler?
Friend got a new 5th wheel spring last year and they said no to the lifetime tag, dad was the same for the 5th wheel.
He has tried the last few years again with no luck.
May be different if it was a toy hauler. They just have campers.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
When did they enact the change on campers? We have permanent tags on all our trailers,

Not sure. Just going of what they said that they could not get the permanent tags on their trailers. Everything I have as far as trailers have them. My oldest being from early 90's so it sure saved me a bunch of money and time.

Clark

Ten Pointer
Mailed my boat title change to Raleigh about 10 days ago and got the new title yesterday. Really fast turnaround.
Takes all the fun out of complaining...

Jake NFC

Twelve Pointer
Is anyone else amazed at the number of trailers going down the road with no tags, no lights and about to fall apart. Do they ever get ticketed?

ncscrubmaster

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Is anyone else amazed at the number of trailers going down the road with no tags, no lights and about to fall apart. Do they ever get ticketed?
I thought I was the only one that noticed them. I pull a 20 foot trailer everyday and constantly check to make sure everything is right. I wouldn’t make it to the end of my road with one of those trailers. I would have a stack of tickets. There is one group that are notorious for those trailers but I’ll get in trouble for calling them out.🌮