DIY screw in tree step installer

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
I have always used a short piece of pipe to install and remove screw in tree steps. After scoring a bunch of the non folding ones for cheap at Walmart I decided to modify it a little in order to be able to install them more easily. This is what I came up with. The pipe is 1" aluminum with about 3/32" wall thickness.

Moses

Four Pointer
I use them, never had one break. Y’all got me paranoid now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Don't take but one to break and if you do not have a safety strap around tree attached properly and it leaves you hanging, you would die before help could find you hours later.....think about that....been there done that. Was up a tree many years ago sitting on a lock-on stand, I mean WAY up....and it started sleeting and when I decided to get down, stood up and the platform was so slick could not stand without slipping. Finally got turned around facing the tree, put my arms around the tree and took gloves off, locked hands together, and started down....feet slipping off the steps....could not stand on them were frozen with ice on every one......had a pair of heavy coveralls on and slid down that tree past every one of them steps, and when I finally got to ground the front of the coveralls was torn to pieces sliding by all those steps. Never climbed again using those steps or ever sat on a lock-on again. Bought a Summit climber....this was back in the 90's I believe. You would not believe some of the stories I could tell you about the things that have happened to me while climbing trees all my hunting years. Fell 43 feet back in 97'...out of work for 3 months after that....you would not want to take that fall.....air lifted to Chapel Hill and don't remember a thing till days later.

DrAsus

Spike
i prefer a good ol fashion tree climber...the ones you sit in after you climb up. I've never thought those steps were very safe.

DrAsus

LawDog

Ten Pointer
I had one break several years back and I almost fell out of the tree. I was 20 ft up and bear hugged the tree to keep from falling. One of the steps got me in the front part of my shin and I still have the scar to prove it. I will never hunt with them again. Y'all be safe climbing trees and wear your safety harness.