Dipping my toes in..

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Pretty sure this is my first post in this board in the 10yrs I’ve been hanging out here..

Borrowing a bow from my hunting partner this year, going to try archery. Was looking at crossbows, still may get one. But he has a Diamond Infinite Edge Pro I can use. Seems to be more of a youth/women’s bow, definitely could tell a difference between it & the Hoyt Carbon Spider he shoots now. Thoughts? Waste of time & just focus on a X?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
have fun!! compounds aren't that hard to shoot efficiently at reasonable bow ranges

crossbows are ok,,,but most are unwieldy,,I'm a less is more kind of guy with bows,,,

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
If you want a challenge, try the bow.

If you are well accomplished with the rifle, the crossbow is going to be easy and boring to shoot IMO.

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
If you want a challenge, try the bow.

If you are well accomplished with the rifle, the crossbow is going to be easy and boring to shoot IMO.

I’ve occasionally shot bows over the years, but definitely a new ball game far as broadheads,arrows, & everything else that comes with it.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Pretty sure this is my first post in this board in the 10yrs I’ve been hanging out here..

Borrowing a bow from my hunting partner this year, going to try archery. Was looking at crossbows, still may get one. But he has a Diamond Infinite Edge Pro I can use. Seems to be more of a youth/women’s bow, definitely could tell a difference between it & the Hoyt Carbon Spider he shoots now. Thoughts? Waste of time & just focus on a X?

Stick with the x If your goal is a dead deer during archery season.
If you want the challenge that comes with a bow take it up.
Either way you extend the season. Have fun!

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Bow hunting is a challenge but man it’s fun.
Crossbows never appealed to me much.

If you do pursue using the bow this year, make sure to get it adjusted to fit you.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
As long as the draw length is right, go with the borrowed bow. I like to use one sight pen and keep all the shots within the range of that 1 pin. Keeps things simple, when that moment happens in a split second. Shooting at 3D targets helped me the most. Shooting at different angles taught me where I needed to aim to make good vital shots. I prefer double lung, deer never go far.

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I’m definitely going to give it a shot. Anyone have a recommendation for a decent release under $50?

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
Diamond bows are fine. They are adjustable and more lightweight but there is absolutely nothing wrong with diamond bows. They are bowtechs entry level brand. I shot one for a few years and it worked just as well as the elite I shoot now. If your concern was that the bow was not sufficient, I wouldnt worry. I would shoot that diamond over the best crossbow on the market.

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Diamond bows are fine. They are adjustable and more lightweight but there is absolutely nothing wrong with diamond bows. They are bowtechs entry level brand. I shot one for a few years and it worked just as well as the elite I shoot now. If your concern was that the bow was not sufficient, I wouldnt worry. I would shoot that diamond over the best crossbow on the market.

Yeah I had looked on AT, seems there some guys hunting with them or keeping them as backups. I was looking at buying a crossbow, but for the cost of a release & some arrows, this is about the cheapest way to see what I think.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Xbow and compounds both are fine... just extends the season.

I love shooting both but xbow are easy... compounds take lots of practice

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Yeah I had looked on AT, seems there some guys hunting with them or keeping them as backups. I was looking at buying a crossbow, but for the cost of a release & some arrows, this is about the cheapest way to see what I think.

I bought my wife a Diamond Infinite Edge several years ago. She never really got into archery so I adopted it as my backup. It adjusts from 13-30" draw and 15-70lbs. I set that thing at 29" and 60lbs and dialed her in. Shoots very well. Its shorter and lighter than my bow so beyond 40yds I am not as accurate with it. But under 40 yds, it dead nuts.