Did you learn anything this season???

valetroutfisherman

Ten Pointer
I learned a few things:

1. to scout more and closer to season.
I drew the first Turkey permit, after 4 years of trying. Map scouted, but no boots on the ground. I picked the "dead grass field" on hill top, instead of clover field, and it was way closer to where I went in. I hunted those 2 clover fields after a lunch break, and there were turkeys there, saw me and booked it.

2.Have alternate plans in case private land hunt permission is denied, and back to #1, scout

3. Get off my butt and check with local farmers for permission to hunt. Have seen a lot of turkeys on property, close to the house, within a 5-15 min drive. Not asking is an automatic no.

4.Get my gear weight down, I was wore out carrying 30#+ of gear in the foot hills and did not prepare my self in advance, getting in backpacking shape. My "traps" were killing me. Now their good.

5. And the funny gif follows. When I cold call, and get a response, start looking for a place to set up and intercept. Dont wait for 2 and 3rd responses that were getting closer. He was clucking. And get out a hen decoy. I had more time than I thought. I saw him, I believe if I would have had one out, he would have come closer, in range. He was looking for her. I could see it.

1c45e5cda209ec73cfc6fa2c64c7d3f7.gif

I swear after the turkey left in #5, as I reflected back, I had to laugh at myself.

6. Buy some mouth calls and learn in off season. It would have been nice on #5, so I wouldnt have to set my shotgun down to scratch my slate. Plus it sucks when its a little damp out, I reach in to scratch the slate and a horrible sound emits, had to redo with sandpaper. And I had prepped it the night before.

Buy the way, and suggestion on a Brand of mouth calls for a beginner?
*I guess I will create a thread for this as to not get this one off on a tangent.*
Heck probably already one out there.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

hawkman

Eight Pointer
Learned that my son can sit still a lot better as he gets older. 12 now. It's part understanding why that is probably important. He has to still learn to quit featuring when he wants me to look in a certain direction.

I think I learned that using a fan and a slate call really does work. I may not get the toms running but I can get the hens and Jake's moving towards me and then the toms want to rumble. It's how I got both my birds this year.

hawkman

ol bob

Six Pointer
Learned I still enjoy getting out and watching the world wake up and hearing a few gobbles but have no desire to ever kill another bird or call for anyone else to kill them.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
I learned a few things:

1. to scout more and closer to season.
I drew the first Turkey permit, after 4 years of trying. Map scouted, but no boots on the ground. I picked the "dead grass field" on hill top, instead of clover field, and it was way closer to where I went in. I hunted those 2 clover fields after a lunch break, and there were turkeys there, saw me and booked it.

2.Have alternate plans in case private land hunt permission is denied, and back to #1, scout

3. Get off my butt and check with local farmers for permission to hunt. Have seen a lot of turkeys on property, close to the house, within a 5-15 min drive. Not asking is an automatic no.

4.Get my gear weight down, I was wore out carrying 30#+ of gear in the foot hills and did not prepare my self in advance, getting in backpacking shape. My "traps" were killing me. Now their good.

5. And the funny gif follows. When I cold call, and get a response, start looking for a place to set up and intercept. Dont wait for 2 and 3rd responses that were getting closer. He was clucking. And get out a hen decoy. I had more time than I thought. I saw him, I believe if I would have had one out, he would have come closer, in range. He was looking for her. I could see it.

1c45e5cda209ec73cfc6fa2c64c7d3f7.gif

I swear after the turkey left in #5, as I reflected back, I had to laugh at myself.

6. Buy some mouth calls and learn in off season. It would have been nice on #5, so I wouldnt have to set my shotgun down to scratch my slate. Plus it sucks when its a little damp out, I reach in to scratch the slate and a horrible sound emits, had to redo with sandpaper. And I had prepped it the night before.

Buy the way, and suggestion on a Brand of mouth calls for a beginner?
*I guess I will create a thread for this as to not get this one off on a tangent.*
Heck probably already one out there.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Easiest I've found to learn the basics on was a "Primos dome"
Series call.
Kind of, like, a mouth call with training wheels, if you like.

mallardchaser

Button Buck
I learned that Hevishot could make an even more impressive (or should I say equally impressive) turkey shell than the Magnum Blend. That new SHELL IS THE HEVI-18 turkey. I was having a terrible time getting a huge gobbler to commit so I took a longer than normal shot. The gobbler hit the ground graveyard dead at well over 60 yards. I was using the Hevi-18 Turkey shells in 3" 7's. I am amazed at how effective and how hard they hit.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I learned I don't like turkey hunting in the heat, humidity, and skeeters any more than I like hunting deer under the same circumstances.

old school

Six Pointer
Once again I learned that hunting, like trapping, behind newbies is an adventure in itself. Birds got an education too early in the season. Kids and Grandkids drug rookie adults into the woods because of social media peer pressure and the opportunity every day to scatter birds into the next County. I still hated to see it end though...

Reactions: jug

Brad_Colvin

Eight Pointer
Yep, I get tired of hearing about patience. Firm believer that it saves just as many, if not more, than it kills.
Yep, sure you're going to bump some turkeys but provided you have enough land to work with pushing the envelope and getting in his face can get even a lukewarm gobbler and even the dreaded henned up gobbler to drift over and have a look. Plus it's WAY more fun.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
I learned that I still hate turkey hunting, and once theyā€™ve all shut up youā€™re better off to just go fishing.

KrisB

Ten Pointer
3 things:

I learned don't tunnel vision yourself focusing on one spot where you think the turkey is going to appear after he's disappeared behind some brush/trees/whatever. Keep your whole field of vision open. I was this close to killing a turkey this season, but because of my tunnel vision, I didn't see where the turkey had reappeared until it was too late.

Also, go out more on solo hunts. I let work and other things keep me from going this year on my own. Can't get the opportunities or even just the learning experience if you don't go.

And, finally, with game lands hunting, no more applying for turkey permit hunts for now. Just going to hunt the game lands in my local area and try to get to know them really well.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
I also learned something else...

I said, sometime during the last week in VA, ā€œIā€™ll be glad, when Iā€™m sad itā€™s overā€.

I still ainā€™t sad. I still donā€™t wanna see ā€˜em, hear ā€˜em, or talk about ā€˜em. I hate ā€˜em...

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
I also learned something else...

I said, sometime during the last week in VA, ā€œIā€™ll be glad, when Iā€™m sad itā€™s overā€.

I still ainā€™t sad. I still donā€™t wanna see ā€˜em, hear ā€˜em, or talk about ā€˜em. I hate ā€˜em...
You drunk?šŸ˜‚