Did Some Urban Creek Fishing

When I say urban I mean heart of industrial Raleigh. Homeless camps, tires in water, whole car bumpers washed down stream.

Caught 4. But what's frustrating is that I'm just not skilled enough to miss every low overhanging branch and often there's not enough room behind me to get enough momentum to skip.

Attachments

• 20210408_170342.jpg
    20210408_170342.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 20210408_160357.jpg
    20210408_160357.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 69
  • 20210408_153750.jpg
    20210408_153750.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 72
  • 20210407_172948.jpg
    20210407_172948.jpg
    339.7 KB · Views: 75

NCPossum

Button Buck
Wow, thats pretty awesome. Pretty good catches too! Where abouts in Raleigh were you? Its fun to spontaneously do a little urban creek fishing!

wolfpacker

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I used to do that too at the creek behind my old townhouse in Raleigh. Always fun to walk out your back door and be able to go fishing.

Wow, thats pretty awesome. Pretty good catches too! Where abouts in Raleigh were you? Its fun to spontaneously do a little urban creek fishing!

I parked at tower shopping center and there's two creeks near there.

I definitely need a machete. I'm sick of briers.

It takes some trudging and in my case some cussing to get to a decent pool.

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
I parked at tower shopping center and there's two creeks near there.

I definitely need a machete. I'm sick of briers.

It takes some trudging and in my case some cussing to get to a decent pool.

there's a little spill way between Lake Johnson and the lake on the NC State Campus. You can park at Lake Johnson near the spillway and walk the whole way. Some good fishing and much easier casting. Good Luck.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
i think you can learn to cast fine without any room behind you.
You load the rod by brining it back from a 12 to a 9 oclock position. Parallel with the water. Release when maximum pressure is on rod.
Use the rod flex and your wrist. No need for room behind you.
They refer to it as a sidearm flick cast here but you do not need two hands to execute it.

That is a fine catch for those waters. Congratulations.

i think you can learn to cast fine without any room behind you.
You load the rod by brining it back from a 12 to a 9 oclock position. Parallel with the water. Release when maximum pressure is on rod.
Use the rod flex and your wrist. No need for room behind you.
They refer to it as a sidearm flick cast here but you do not need two hands to execute it.

That is a fine catch for those waters. Congratulations.

I'll work on it. But this particular spot has trouble all the way down to waist and knee high.

It's jus challenging for me.

I probably should put on waders next time.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
there's a little spill way between Lake Johnson and the lake on the NC State Campus. You can park at Lake Johnson near the spillway and walk the whole way. Some good fishing and much easier casting. Good Luck.
I have fished that little spillway a bunch of times. caught some decent fish there but I still usually catch just as much in the creek. I always wondered what in the world that little spillways purpose was or is.

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
I have fished that little spillway a bunch of times. caught some decent fish there but I still usually catch just as much in the creek. I always wondered what in the world that little spillways purpose was or is.

I call it a spillway but it's a creek between the two resevoirs....you are correct. I consider that whole stretch between the two a spillway haha.

Lee

Six Pointer
Michael,
The ultimate urban fishing trip in Raleigh is Crabtree Creek. Don't eat the fish, but for catch and release it's amazing. The stretch inside Umstead has tons of fish. Just look for a deep pool or tree top down in the water.

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
Not sure on the access but the creek below "Bass Lake" has tons of fish too. I've fished directly below the lake and there are schools .... nay..... shoals of panfish below the falls. Really fun on a 3W fly rod.