Delayed Harvest

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
@appmtnhntr Absolutely. I just can’t seem to get away from smoking the dang things. Not that I want to tho
I only smoke them. I think it’s the best.
i only bake fish over 18”

I serve them hot smoked a little rare.
I have a big “smoking party” at the end of the summer and we smoke fish, deer bear and hog summer sausage, and can the summer veggies.
it’s a ball. I’ll invite you this year.

Last edited:

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
I only smoke them. I think it’s the best.
i only bake fish over 18”

I serve them hot smoked a little rare.
I have a big “smoking party” at the end of the summer and we smoke fish, deer bear and hog summer sausage, and can the summer veggies.
it’s a ball. I’ll invite you this year.

I big
Sweet. Sounds like a good time

buckman84

Eight Pointer
Up here near Brevard for a week of vacation. Hoping to try my hand at some fishing at the Davidson river. Any info on this area? Tips?

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Up here near Brevard for a week of vacation. Hoping to try my hand at some fishing at the Davidson river. Any info on this area? Tips?
Hey buddy. Haven’t fished there in a few years but if I remember correctly, different sections are gonna be different designations. Also you won’t be far from DuPont and there should be some action there. Biggest issue will be battling the crowds of people especially swimmers. Hope this helps. The areas are marked pretty well. There will be signs posted at trees right along the roadside. Let us know how you make out

buckman84

Eight Pointer
Hey buddy. Haven’t fished there in a few years but if I remember correctly, different sections are gonna be different designations. Also you won’t be far from DuPont and there should be some action there. Biggest issue will be battling the crowds of people especially swimmers. Hope this helps. The areas are marked pretty well. There will be signs posted at trees right along the roadside. Let us know how you make out
Hey man I do appreciate it! Haven't done much trout fishing in the past. So been reading up as much as possible. Just gonna be using some ultra light spinning rigs. We came up today and will be here until next Sunday. A good bit of possible rain in the forecast but hopefully we'll get a chance to go out. Will be striper fishing at lake murrey on the 26th than back to work.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Hey man I do appreciate it! Haven't done much trout fishing in the past. So been reading up as much as possible. Just gonna be using some ultra light spinning rigs. We came up today and will be here until next Sunday. A good bit of possible rain in the forecast but hopefully we'll get a chance to go out. Will be striper fishing at lake murrey on the 26th than back to work.
Yeah no doubt. Honestly just keep it simple. Trout are a lot of fun on an affordable ultra light and some rooster tails, pink worms, minnow imitations , etc. Just remember if they’re holding in one spot looking for food to come down the “conveyor belt “ , they’ll be facing upstream. I’ve caught em in fast rough riffles, shallow calm water, around rocks/boulders, and everything in between. Sounds goofy but as long as I keep the basics in mind, I seem to do way better when I don’t take myself too seriously and just fish. If you’re gonna use a worm or something that imitates food drifting downstream, cast upstream of where you think the fish are and let it drift down . I use basic tackle and there’s folks that could prob tell you way more about trout than me, but I catch a decent amount and enjoy it. Sometimes a day after a heavy rain(once the water clears up) I have a great day of fishing . Cheers man

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
We fishing Sunday morning maybe. Hope the bite is decent. I have a new 7.5’ 2wt rod that handles like a chopstick or conductors wand.
I want to stick a couple fish with it.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Idk where we fishing yet. Anyone else gonna be out Sunday morning?
I’ll have one or two with me. Narrowing down to 3 DH streams.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
We fished shortly today in hot springs. Didnt get there as early as originally planned. Seen 2 very nice fish but nothing was biting. Fished around the house this evening. Couldn’t buy a trout bite but warmouth and smallies were biting every cast. It was fun. Fished a really nice area with a waterfall emptying into a deep pool, lots of riffles, and boulders. At sundown we were packing up and a decent sized castor canadensis came into view 10 from Us. Stumbled down to the pool, dove in and took a nice slow swim below the surface for bout 20 yds and disappeared
Edited to add: I lied. I forgot I caught one little trout. It was a wild rainbow maybe 5” long. Him and his buddies were putting the smack down on bugs in a back eddie. Colors and pattern on it were stunning. Wish I had a pic. Ever since I deleted social media, I noticed my instant reaction to grab a phone and snap pics isn’t as prevalent. I love taking and seeing pics on here, I just forget a lot of the time now

Last edited:

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
Long haul for me but maybe one day I can join. I never get to trout fish much. Do you ever come to the east side of Asheville or out toward Wilkes?

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Rolled back over this am. No one else wanted to fish. Might try this evening
Welllllll. Mama and baby went to go run the BOB on the greenway.
bout to hit the trailhead to hit the noon bite.
gotta be out by 2. Gonna try and scratch out a couple nice fish. First time fishing with my new 7.5’ 2wt with 3# leader.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Mid 60s in the hole right now. Chilly.
gotta be out by 2. Gonna try and scratch out a couple nice fish. First time fishing with my new 7.5’ 2wt with 3# leader.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
That’ll be a fun rod for sure

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Mid 60s in the hole right now. Chilly.
Fished a little over an hour.
missed about 10 bites.
caught 7.
kept 3
Back home to wash up and go to late lunch and a beer with my girls.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Caught 5 on 15 bites or so. All on size 1 panther Martin’s. They wouldn’t hit the pink worm or any flies.
Saw 300 fish, they just weren’t hungry. I was only getting reaction bites in the riffles.
Water is low and crystal clear. they were busting me from 15 yards away trying to sneak on a hole.
Tactical trout fishing.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Caught 5 on 15 bites or so. All on size 1 panther Martin’s. They wouldn’t hit the pink worm or any flies.
Saw 300 fish, they just weren’t hungry. I was only getting reaction bites in the riffles.
Water is low and crystal clear. they were busting me from 15 yards away trying to sneak on a hole.
Tactical trout fishing.
Sounds like the last time I fished. Well, I didn’t catch 5 lol. 2 catch and release dinks. Same thing about sticking out like a sore thumb. Water is super low here.

Roanoke

Eight Pointer
This was last week. Water was low but got on a few.

Attachments

• 0DE47585-59DB-4AF4-9776-B3555181DE20.jpeg
    0DE47585-59DB-4AF4-9776-B3555181DE20.jpeg
    252.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 6DC19B60-90AD-4DDC-BD10-7C12E77D0C4B.jpeg
    6DC19B60-90AD-4DDC-BD10-7C12E77D0C4B.jpeg
    306.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 7A283D8B-C0E4-4DB8-9F24-3D50D6EEE705.jpeg
    7A283D8B-C0E4-4DB8-9F24-3D50D6EEE705.jpeg
    169.4 KB · Views: 9