Defensive turkey(s)?

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
Anyone ever been attacked by one?

My wife and I walked up on a lone hen that decided we didn’t belong. She started cutting once she saw us and then ran at us and attempted to attack me. She stayed in the area going in circles and finally flew up to a high limb to make sure we were gone. I’d like to think my ultra manly shriek … I mean yell, is what finally deterred her.

SnowMaker

Ten Pointer
I think @Wren87 and @SnowMaker had a run in with a hen like that last week. She was was yelping at the tractor while I was planting yesterday
Had to be her I think she might take that tractor to! We were in a blind one morning doing some light calling and had seen a couple hens. Started hearing some yelping kinda far off and didn't think to much till I realized it was getting closer. So I started matching her yelps. She really started cutting the distance then. Finally she pops out where we can see her yelping, I match her again and she runs in our direction, head down body going side to side running. Ends up flying into a tree 5 yards from the blind, Flys back down after a few minutes circles the blind sits down and yelps a few times. Felt pretty sporty.
Later on we're walking and calling seeing if we can strike one, all the sudden she runs into view and stares our direction.
Later that day I had been watching some jakes/one was a Tom I should have shot I yelped like that hen after they'd moved a ways off. Never seen turkeys run so fast I sat there and laughed

Helium

Old Mossy Horns

My wife and I walked up on a lone hen that decided we didn’t belong. She started cutting once she saw us and then ran at us and attempted to attack me. She stayed in the area going in circles and finally flew up to a high limb to make sure we were gone. I’d like to think my ultra manly shriek … I mean yell, is what finally deterred her.
You MUST have some residual Hen-N-Heat on your boots

Wren87

Six Pointer

I love that you own the shriek ;)

Were y'all hiking or hunting/scouting? Does she hunt, too? If not, I'm guessing this didn't encourage her to start, but... still curious! Always excited for more gals getting into this stuff.

Wren87

Six Pointer
Husband and girl dad here. It’s a double edged sword😁
I can imagine a few reasons why this is so, but I don't want to assume :)

The first time @SnowMaker took me frog gigging, my complete lack of chill came out in full force... I'm sure I'm not always the most fun hunting buddy but he's pretty patient with me

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
I love that you own the shriek ;)

Were y'all hiking or hunting/scouting? Does she hunt, too? If not, I'm guessing this didn't encourage her to start, but... still curious! Always excited for more gals getting into this stuff.
Nah she won’t hunt. BUT we do combine our hiking trips and sometimes backpacking trips with my scouting. Helps keep us both interested.

Was cool for her to see and hear a turkey up close (<5 yards). That hen was cutting like crazy! Worst part is she was right on my trail and I couldn’t proceed. Well, without some sort of violence.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Nah she won’t hunt. BUT we do combine our hiking trips and sometimes backpacking trips with my scouting. Helps keep us both interested.

Was cool for her to see and hear a turkey up close (<5 yards). That hen was cutting like crazy! Worst part is she was right on my trail and I couldn’t proceed. Well, without some sort of violence.
i think she considered it her trail?
Thanks @TobyScreams - I just thought they had humiliated me in all possible ways this season. :) Now I know they can attack. Yikes!

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
I bumped one off the nest this year and she flew like a quail. I’ve done that three times before, and they have always flown like that.

IMG_2689.jpeg

This year was the first time I’ve ever bumped into a hen with poults - and she did the opposite- she hung around putting and jumping up and trying to get my attention. Then I heard a poult kee keeing and so I knew what was up with her. I hunkered down and started calling and kee keeing myself and she calmed down and I was able to catch a glimpse of two freshly hatched poults running to her and caught one on video.

You can hear her calling and a poult kee keeing if you listen carefully.

The little poult is running right to left in the first part of the video.

Last edited: