Deer with wound on back

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Saw this gal up on the mountain at work today. Her front legs are fine…I just happened to take the pic and she tried to go up that bank with very wet loose soil and she had to come down and find a different trail. Watched her for 5 min or so. She was eating and walking fine, although she was panting pretty consistently. The missing patch of hide is an interesting size/shape compared to the wound
398D7B97-3C0A-4DC2-8212-A336C7FD1D92.jpeg

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Saw this gal up on the mountain at work today. Her front legs are fine…I just happened to take the pic and she tried to go up that bank with very wet loose soil and she had to come down and find a different trail. Watched her for 5 min or so. She was eating and walking fine, although she was panting pretty consistently. The missing patch of hide is an interesting size/shape compared to the wound
View attachment 80542
I've looked at this a few different times, and for the life of me I can't imagine any sort of accident that could remove hide so neatly, with such straight lines, sharp 90* corners, etc.

Just thinking out loud for any sort of other uncommon possibilities that might help others think of something too.
Examples:
Is it possible she was temporarily put down by game wardens or someone to remove an arrow that was sticking out of her there;
Is it possible its not even a wound but some sort of material that landed on her;
etc, etc
Just can't get over the shape of it as an accident...

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
I've looked at this a few different times, and for the life of me I can't imagine any sort of accident that could remove hide so neatly, with such straight lines, sharp 90* corners, etc.

Just can't get over the shape of it as an accident...
That’s exactly what caught my eye too buddy.

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Could be from a vehicle or projectile impact? There's a doe that visits my feeders daily who almost ducked an arrow, which left a cut across the top of her spine either 4 or 5 years ago (I call her Missy). About an 8 inch patch of hair around that wound came off, but regrew. Now, she has a slight dip on the top line of her spine, but no other ways of telling it ever happened. I'll get some pics soon. She gets fairly close, but always maintains a distance.

Jim

JoeR

Eight Pointer
Any chance it was a buck with the antlers knocked off? It has some dark glands on the back legs. If that was the case it would lend evidence to a car strike.
Joe