Deer stand walls- siding, OSB painted, plywood.....?

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Any thoughts on a material to use for walls on deer stand?

Used Plywood in the past, also OSB painted, treated wood, dog ear fence boards.....

Anyone know if anything out there that is more cost effective or new to the market.

Man it would be nice if you could.get a heavy plastic like the posted signs from Voss. Looking at some of the 4x8 siding boards that are OSB and anything on the cheap side.

Have used OSB the cheap 6$ sheets and painted it. Last several years 5 to 6 and cheap and easy. No cost for the paint I have a bunch.
Last ones we did with normay 3/8 plywood lasted the same or less but costs 3 to 4 times the OSB.

Fence boards or deck boards are the only thing I found that will really last that does not cost an arm and leg. Just takes time and more screws.
Any thoughts?

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Vinyl siding over 7/16 osb will last a very long time. Most vinyl siding companies have take offs for cheap or free and it's super easy to do a stand in a very short time with corner and j-molding.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Oil-painted OSB lasts longer than 5-6 years. We had one that was 10 years and going strong until the loggers decided to bulldoze it for no reason while thinning. Just make sure you paint EVERY surface and edge. Plywood is much better, but not worth the cost except maybe for the roof.

para4514

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Vinyl privacy fence panels. I was able to find some used that someone was taking down and they have worked great.

Redheadduck

Eight Pointer
Oil-painted OSB lasts longer than 5-6 years. We had one that was 10 years and going strong until the loggers decided to bulldoze it for no reason while thinning. Just make sure you paint EVERY surface and edge. Plywood is much better, but not worth the cost except maybe for the roof.
You can also smear caulking on the edges of osb or plywood before painting it. It will last a lot longer than you would expect.

specialk

Twelve Pointer
a few years back I had a source on marine painted 4x4 and 4x6 pieces cheap, used real estate signage.....hated when I ran out....I use exterior now, spray paint and I make a 8x8 roof....rain hardly gets to the sides or floor...

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
Vinyl siding over 7/16 osb will last a very long time. Most vinyl siding companies have take offs for cheap or free and it's super easy to do a stand in a very short time with corner and j-molding.
Or wait till lowes has a close out sale on a remnant lot of fiber cement siding. For deer stand build, you can score it with a razor and snap it to fit.

hog&deerhunter

Ten Pointer
I have been very surprised how long painted OSB lasts. A roof with an overhang all around really helps. Since you already have paint that's the route I would take. I am going on 10 years in one of my OSB walled tower stands. Only painted it once since the original and that was year 8.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Asbestos siding works well. Just havee to know where to get it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Guybo

Eight Pointer
I used osb when I first started building box stands over 30yrs ago and it did ok but even with paint it just didn't last. Plywood and a good coat or two of barn paint seems to hold up pretty well and last longer than osb.

I like your ideal of the decking board and actually thought about that for my next box stand. I've always used decking board in the floor and it really last. Wife's been wanting a bigger deck so I'll probably be building a new one soon but the lumber on the current one is still in good shape so I'm thinking of saving it for a box. Nothing like a comfy box stand and the older I get the more comfy they get.

Pimpscoe

Eight Pointer
We use some type of belt material from the local paper company, whatever their name is now. It last forever. Same stuff we put down under our barns to store farm equipment, and to put in front of our tobacco barns to keep it clean. Super tough, and light weight. I’ve put this around my last two stands using the tin/metal screws with the rubber washer.

TheCloudX

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I'm a fan of plywood with a good coat of paint, refreshing every few years as needed. Also, if you caulk it and seal off any entry points, it'll help with draft and bugs. I noticed you mentioned you're good on paint, but for those that may not be - keep an eye out for the clearance/oops section at Lowes or Home Depot. It doesn't have to be camo or forest green. You can usually get a few buckets pretty cheap if you keep an eye out for it. A good window also helps, a bit pricey depending on what you go with, but even a cheap homemade plexiglass window will help longevity and stealth.

rangerxp

Eight Pointer
Primed Engineered Panel Siding from Lowes is what I started using years ago. It's an OSB with a hard primed coating on the outside of the 4x8 sheet. I use tin for the roof with over hang. 2x4 frame then screw the panels to it. Silicone the cut edges and gaps. then I paint to give it extra protection. if you close it up so rain doesn't get inside in will last .

rangerxp

Eight Pointer
Rebuilt Lower stand Jan 2019.jpg
This one is over 12 years old. I repaint it about every 5 years .
I added new legs and ladder last year.