Deer retrieval regulation question

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
By the book....still .22 rimfire. .22 mag would be in there i assume. A ton of folks carry a concealed handgun all the time. If you get a ticket for dispatching a dying deer the wrong way...someone is really grasping at straws to write a ticket.

I don't disagree, however, look at it from another viewpoint: Your neighbor, that you're pretty sure is a lowlife spotlighting poacher, walks out carrying his bow and dragging a deer with a .44 caliber hole in it.

I think most of us will simply do what must be done to recover a deer, no matter what.

I don't have a CCW, don't carry. But, I don't think I'm unique in that I'm not sure its a convenient "oops I forgot I had it and couldn't shoot he deer with it" when we go hunting. I'm an ill prepared hunter. I stuff an overly large coat and/or backpack full of stuff, pull my boots on, and sit in a tree, and even I have a checklist of stuff that must go before I leave. And, my .22 pistol is on the list, even if it stays in the car unless I have to trail one late.

Everyone claims that these laws are poorly written. I've had "less-than-positive" interactions with GW's before, but never an argument about what the law means. The closest I had was about the gender of 4 Mallard ducks. A second Officer agreed with my determination based on the beak rather than head color.

Its pretty clear to me...Don't shoot the deer from your ATV, and don't be driving through the woods at night looking for it. And, although some may disagree, I imagine its awfully difficult to blood trail from a quad. After the tag is punched, you aren't looking for the deer anymore.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Can someone post a scenario where this applies?

You are tracking a bow shot deer in bow season, you find him laid up in a thicket still alive and cannot get a bow shot, or it's nighttime making a good bow shot nearly impossible. Not to mention you've already wounded and tracked the deer a long distance. With a firearm you could shoot easier in the thicket through debris or it's nighttime and making a gun shot easier then bow. Well legally you could only use a 22 until gun season starts. Well I'd rather have a bigger caliber to put the deer down, I'd rather him not jump up and run another mile after the 22 shot, even if my ego wants to use a bow, I want that deer dead and not to go to waste, a 22 in the body just ain't much.

Last edited:

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
What part? 22lr or the last part search for deer?

The part where you would use a 22lr to dispatch a deer. How often do you walk up on a deer where it is not dead yet injured too bad and unable to run away from you (where you wouldn't be able to shoot it with a pistol anyway). My impression is that you would use it to walk up to the deer and put one in the brain. Is this their way of allowing the aforementioned to happen because it is illegal to just put another arrow in it, with your bow, after dark? Do you think this would allow someone to fling a bunch of bullets at one when it jumped up to flee from a bad shot instead of the head shot scenario that I previously posted?

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
The part where you would use a 22lr to dispatch a deer. How often do you walk up on a deer where it is not dead yet injured too bad and unable to run away from you (where you wouldn't be able to shoot it with a pistol anyway). My impression is that you would use it to walk up to the deer and put one in the brain. Is this their way of allowing the aforementioned to happen because it is illegal to just put another arrow in it, with your bow, after dark? Do you think this would allow someone to fling a bunch of bullets at one when it jumped up to flee from a bad shot instead of the head shot scenario that I previously posted?

I had it happen 3 times I remember that I pulled the trigger on my 22.
All three were under the old rules. Had one I was watching my watch it was about the last second of the last min.
Other 2 times was a gut shot deer that got beat up dead just did not know it.
Only time I was sick at what had happened. Her guts were around a tree and she broke a leg. Was really happy I had a gun to put her down. Left the rifle on the ATV at the stand just knowing she was down the path.
3rd time was tracking a friends deer about 3 in the after noon.
I take that back 4 times, property owner called me saying he just shot one and she did not die. I ran over as fast as I could to put her down. He could not bring himself to shooting it. Told him on the phone to shoot it in the neck..

The two that I did for others were first time jumping the shot.
The one I gut shot I hit a branch not far from the deer.
Now for the record the ones mid day yep in rifle season so those could be done with rifle. Just easier to use the pistol and less risk.

Last edited:

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer
It is not that for me just that there should be one section for each item for say.
I bet there are people that are task with one section, that said they have no control over the other.

Just me but it should be easy to understand and follow. That said one section should cover trucks, atv, boat and power chairs or scouter....
How they can be used, when used........Along with definition.

In this case should list something like
ATV,
Can be used to transport people game and gear for any legal hunt.
Can not shoot from or within contact of.
Can not use lights from ATV to aid in hunt.
Can only be used for transportation when tracking or recovery of wild game
Make it easy.

And then someone on NCHF would be like "So if you use the headlights on your fourwheeler to ride to your stand, is that aiding in the hunt? Because it would be mighty hard to find your tree stand without the lights, but tree stands definitely aid in the hunt." And then two people would respond that they ran into the GW doing this, and one would say he got a ticket, and the other would say the GW told him it was legal.

DarrinG

Six Pointer
You are tracking a bow shot deer in bow season, you find him laid up in a thicket still alive and cannot get a bow shot, or it's nighttime making a good bow shot nearly impossible. Not to mention you've already wounded and tracked the deer a long distance. With a firearm you could shoot easier in the thicket through debris or it's nighttime and making a gun shot easier then bow. Well legally you could only use a 22 until gun season starts. Well I'd rather have a bigger caliber to put the deer down, I'd rather him not jump up and run another mile after the 22 shot, even if my ego wants to use a bow, I want that deer dead and not to go to waste, a 22 in the body just ain't much.

Would it not be easy to just back out quietly and let the deer expire overnight and come back in the morning and punch your tag, field dress and haul it out? If the deer is well enough to last all night and still get up and keep going the next morning, decent chance your shot was not lethal and the deer will recover. As a bowhunter I see no need for a handgun of any caliber to "dispatch" a deer. My bow and arrow is enough. I've trailed a couple deer that were down but still alive when I found them. Another shot from my bow, or even my hunting knife, finished the job. And I've backed out quietly more than once on a deer I felt could possibly keep going if I jumped him again, and recovered my deer the following morning, DRT in his bed where I left him alive the night before. Not being argumentative, but I really don't see the need for the handgun to "finish the job".

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
And then someone on NCHF would be like "So if you use the headlights on your fourwheeler to ride to your stand, is that aiding in the hunt? Because it would be mighty hard to find your tree stand without the lights, but tree stands definitely aid in the hunt." And then two people would respond that they ran into the GW doing this, and one would say he got a ticket, and the other would say the GW told him it was legal.

Well it's evident you've been here a while and have been paying attention!!

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Would it not be easy to just back out quietly and let the deer expire overnight and come back in the morning and punch your tag, field dress and haul it out? If the deer is well enough to last all night and still get up and keep going the next morning, decent chance your shot was not lethal and the deer will recover. As a bowhunter I see no need for a handgun of any caliber to "dispatch" a deer. My bow and arrow is enough. I've trailed a couple deer that were down but still alive when I found them. Another shot from my bow, or even my hunting knife, finished the job. And I've backed out quietly more than once on a deer I felt could possibly keep going if I jumped him again, and recovered my deer the following morning, DRT in his bed where I left him alive the night before. Not being argumentative, but I really don't see the need for the handgun to "finish the job".

You could, but good luck if coyotes get to him and run him across the county not to mention many deer suffer for days and days before dieing, these are still considered lethal shots. After you find them laid up, can't get bow shot and back out, you gonna check on him daily until yotes run him or eat him? I enjoy the meat very much. I'm also asking from a tracking standpoint since I will be using my dog to track others deer, but I'm also a bowhunter, as much as I would like to say I killed it with my bow, I like the meat and will use a pistol to end it's life quicker if given the opportunity, I don't care if he's pope and young or not.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DarrinG

Six Pointer
You could, but good luck if coyotes get to him and run him across the county not to mention many deer suffer for days and days before dieing, these are still considered lethal shots. After you find them laid up, can't get bow shot and back out, you gonna check on him daily until yotes run him or eat him? I enjoy the meat very much. I'm also asking from a tracking standpoint since I will be using my dog to track others deer, but I'm also a bowhunter, as much as I would like to say I killed it with my bow, I like the meat and will use a pistol to end it's life quicker if given the opportunity, I don't care if he's pope and young or not.

If that deer is able to run from yotes "across the county", he aint lethally hit. If a deer is alive and able to run very far the following morning, I'd bet a dollar to a donut that deer aint lethally hit. In high predator areas, coyotes can find a downed deer and make a buffet overnight, that's true, but I'd feel safe to say just as many are found fine the next morning as the ones that the coyotes, bears, or bobcats get to in just over one night (10-12 hrs). I understand we like the meat, as my family loves it too. Maybe its because I shoot a traditional bow that shooting through some limbs in low to no light don't bother me as I have no sights, no elevated rest, none of that tech gear to worry about, just draw anchor, pick a spot and drop the string. And like I said above, if a deer is hit hard enough to lay down and stay laying down as you approach, its done for...its just a matter of time. I've went ahead and ended it quicker more than once with my Buck Vanguard. Just be extremely careful if a sharp broadhead is still in an animal that could start thrashing some while you got your hands on it. :) In 32 years of deer hunting I've just never seen the need to dispatch a bowkill deer with a firearm. Maybe I've just been lucky. :)

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
If that deer is able to run from yotes "across the county", he aint lethally hit. If a deer is alive and able to run very far the following morning, I'd bet a dollar to a donut that deer aint lethally hit. In high predator areas, coyotes can find a downed deer and make a buffet overnight, that's true, but I'd feel safe to say just as many are found fine the next morning as the ones that the coyotes, bears, or bobcats get to in just over one night (10-12 hrs). I understand we like the meat, as my family loves it too. Maybe its because I shoot a traditional bow that shooting through some limbs in low to no light don't bother me as I have no sights, no elevated rest, none of that tech gear to worry about, just draw anchor, pick a spot and drop the string. And like I said above, if a deer is hit hard enough to lay down and stay laying down as you approach, its done for...its just a matter of time. I've went ahead and ended it quicker more than once with my Buck Vanguard. Just be extremely careful if a sharp broadhead is still in an animal that could start thrashing some while you got your hands on it. :) In 32 years of deer hunting I've just never seen the need to dispatch a bowkill deer with a firearm. Maybe I've just been lucky. :)
You've been lucky, if he's too sick/wounded to get away from yotes, he's lethally hit. Not speaking about you but I think quite a few people are in denial, they think every one that got away, lived. That's not the case, deer are tougher then we give them credit for and they will run wounded from yotes on adrenaline alone. Very tough to find a deer that's been jumped and chased. There are many physiological reasons for this. Having patience is great, but you are increasing the risk of losing the deer and meat to yotes that way.

Last edited:

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer

You obviously don't hunt in an area with many coyotes. You'd be amazed a how quickly they can find a deer. You also clearly do not hunt in the east where the temperatures are likely in the 90's during the opening week of the season. As a matter of fact, there's probably not a single night of our archery only season that I'd leave a deer overnight and even consider eating it the next day.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It used to be that you could back out and leave a deer overnight and track it the next morning, but I've found in the last few years that in my area at least, the coyotes will get get to it before you do 8 out of 10 times.

I don't like to track with the dog at night (too much chance of the dog getting hurt or me breaking a leg). But leaving the deer overnight usually means leaving a meal for the coyotes.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns

My response to this would be simply that I don’t want to leave a wounded animal to suffer any longer than is necessary. That’s just my personal opinion, though.