Deer Jerky

Crestliner

Six Pointer
Here is a website with a variety of jerky recipes.

specialk

Twelve Pointer
It’s not hard, it just takes time with prep. One rule to always remember, remove as much fat/sinew as possible.

Ground jerky/snack sticks is probably the easiest and quickest, you can do all in one day. Grind, mix seasoning, put in jerky gun, squeeze on racks, dehydrate about 4 hours give or take, had batches done in less.

Sliced really depends on how consistent you can get a uniform cut but I like about 1/8 to 3/16. I find anything less than 1/8 gets too chippy. 1/4 is great it takes a little longer to marinade and dehydrate but trade off is meatier. I wouldn’t recommend thick in those stackable bottom fan dehydrator. I vacuum seal the meat and marinade. Lay as flat as possible for at least 24 hrs. Rotating and agitating a few times every so often. Drying day shake off excess liquid and lay out on my racks, sometimes sprinkle dry seasoning if I want certain things like bits of pepper or garlic etc.

Flavor is what you prefer. I like a primo jerky so I often break the taboo of slicing back straps however I won’t grind back straps unless I need it to have enough for sausage.

I’ve done vinegar base, pickle juice, OMG my mouth is on fire, etc. I never have an exact recipe because I’m usually trying something new. Can’t say I’ve made a bad batch but the worse pre made flavor packets seems to be the teriyaki. Powdered teriyaki is no substitute for liquid.

ground jerky is the way to go....i'll never do sliced again......

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
Nah slice it. And with the grain. I wanna chew that crap for week before it gives up.

I get that. Some people have that preference.
I just don't most of the time. I like the taste and ease of the chew with the flavor of the ground style jerky.

It's just personal preference. Just like jalapeno vs. Habanero.... which one is hot enough for an individual ?

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
I get that. Some people have that preference.
I just don't most of the time. I like the taste and ease of the chew with the flavor of the ground style jerky.

My Dad prefers something that you can wet in your mouth and chew on like tobacco. Ground is nice because it’s the closest way to mimic summer sausage without all the extra work.

I agree sometimes you just want to eat instead of gnawing but sliced back straps across the grain are very tender. Almost too tender lol.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
ground jerky is the way to go....i'll never do sliced again......

For me my introduction to jerky was ground and then I tried making sliced. For me I like both. Ground is like a slim Jim and sliced is like chawing baca. That reminds me of the jerky snuff cans as a youth, ah such memories thinking I was cool lol.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
So you guys are NOT using curing salt correct?
I don't use it either. The stuff wrecks my digestive system. If it gets eaten in a week or 2, i dont see the need as long as it's stored right. If you put in a plastic bag, leave the bag open or it'll mold

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Yall talking crap about ziploc bags must not really like jerky. That dang thang stays open more than shut and is gone in 24 hours.

Yall need to share with friends and coworkers when you make a batch. Ive found out they will offer you some when they make it...

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
On a side note.... if you ever "overdo" the cooking process you can put meat in a ziploc bag and add a couple pieces of white bread. The mest will pull moisture out of the bread. The bread will be like toast. You can reprat this process a few times to try and add a little moisture back to the meat.

mbh78

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Jerky will mold? How long does that take? :ROFLMAO:
It will definitely mold if you don't get it dry enough, or if it sweats in the container/bag. I learned that lesson several years ago. I took a batch off the dehydrator and put it in a ziplock bag and sealed it up, without letting it cool. The heat caused it to sweat and put too much moisture in the bag. I can't remember exactly how long it took to mold, but it wasn't that long. Ever since then when I take it off the dehydrator, I let the meat cool on a baking sheet before I bag it.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I run my dehydrator overnight, so in the morning I grab a handful to eat immediately and turn off the dehydrator. the rest sits on the dehydrator racks all day cooling to room temp and I bag it in the evening.

CJF

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Basic ingredients
soy sauce.........................................1 cup
teriaki.................................................2 cups
Worcestershire sauce..................1/2 cup
liquid smoke...................................2 tsp
Coarse black pepper.....................3 or 4 Table spoons
Red pepper.......................................1 table spoon
garlic powder..................................2 tablespoons
onion powder..................................1 Tablespoon

I marinate for 3 days stirring it every day. I put it in the dehydrator for about 8 hours

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
I’ve always done whole muscle, but I’m prolly gonna try some ground this year just because I usually end up with a surplus of grind.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
It will definitely mold if you don't get it dry enough, or if it sweats in the container/bag. I learned that lesson several years ago. I took a batch off the dehydrator and put it in a ziplock bag and sealed it up, without letting it cool. The heat caused it to sweat and put too much moisture in the bag. I can't remember exactly how long it took to mold, but it wasn't that long. Ever since then when I take it off the dehydrator, I let the meat cool on a baking sheet before I bag it.
This is why I put mine in a paper bag.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
On a side note.... if you ever "overdo" the cooking process you can put meat in a ziploc bag and add a couple pieces of white bread. The mest will pull moisture out of the bread. The bread will be like toast. You can reprat this process a few times to try and add a little moisture back to the meat.

I do a different technique. I wet a paper towel and toss it in the microwave. When it is hot and steamy, I toss it inside a ziplock bag with the jerky. Let it sit overnight.

JoeR

Eight Pointer
I use the Hi Mountain jerky kits. Hickory flavor is my favorite by far. My daughter is 31 years old, and as soon as she knows I got a deer she shows up to make jerky. We've been doing it together since before she started school, and I wouldn't trade that time with her for anything. When I don't use one of those kits I make my own salt cure and just add a bunch of different dry rub spices and cook them on my smoker.
Joe