Deer hunting with dogs question

so my question may seem ignorant to some but i am fairly new to deer hunting with dogs. Been going for a few years now with some friends and have gotten hooked on it. I live in western nc so we cant use dogs and there are not alot of folks around me that do it. me and The guys ive been going with travel "down east" every saturday about 2 hour drive just to run dogs. The guys i go with run beagles and we use a lot of guys, usually 12 to 25 of us, to line off blocks and then take the dogs in. I have rabbit dogs and am going to be doing some breeding. My question is do any of you guys ever hunt alone or with only a few guys and if so how do yall go about it?. Reason being im thinking of turning a few beagles from a litter into deer dogs, and im off alot of days during the week when most of the guys we hunt with are at work and id like to go more than just on saturdays and the only way ive ever hunted dogs requires several standers lining off blocks.

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
Its all in the way your club hunts and how much land you have. I'm on a club with about 45 members and around 5000 acres in one block. We don't line nothing per say. You hunt where you want too and you move when you want too. If you get a bad stand..its your fault. We turn out at first light. We don't draw no maps in the sand or wait on standers to get in position. We will have 2-3 different groups hunting in different areas of the club at the same time. Everybody in my little group has Garmin trackers and we all understand its about dog control and we move with the race. This works for us. I really enjoy this style of hunting over the block liners. If I had to go back to lining blocks I would become a still hunter. With that said we let a lot of deer get away. We don't always see the ones slipping out. Number one thing here is dog control...if a small group can control the dogs on your own land then have at it. We hunt a lot through the week.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If your dogs aren’t extremely fast you can kill just as many or more walking with the dogs as the standers do.

I only killed one this year but that was my choice. I had multiple chances to shoot deer on the jump or circling back. I primarily like to hear the dogs run.

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
We hunt just as catfishrus description however I prefer two or three guys and everyone needs a Garmin. I have a couple cousins that work like a well oiled machine when there is not a crowd in the way . Sure s lot of deer get away and we let a bunch go but if it's a good buck he will end up in a truck. If not today his days are numbered. Learn to use the Garmin and you will soon learn the routes mature bucks use . Don't be afraid to hunt alone and keep the tradition alive.

Reactions: DRS

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
If your dogs aren’t extremely fast you can kill just as many or more walking with the dogs as the standers do.

I only killed one this year but that was my choice. I had multiple chances to shoot deer on the jump or circling back. I primarily like to hear the dogs run.
I'd think with beagles you could find thickets and whatnot and follow the dogs in/around. I know that may be a goal of mine with my GWP next year. I have a spot or two that I intend to try it on.

Buffet Trout

Twelve Pointer
You’ll need a garmin...and if hunting by myself, I’d rather have beagles than walkers.

probably 2 beagles and follow them about 200-300 yards away in my truck with rifle ready

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Get out and wal
You’ll need a garmin...and if hunting by myself, I’d rather have beagles than walkers.

probably 2 beagles and follow them about 200-300 yards away in my truck with rifle ready
Get out and walk with them. Well that depends on terrain. Where we are it is mostly open and fairly mature pines with drainages (heads). The dogs hit those heads and something is going to move. When it is cold you move to clearcuts, you will jump them like rabbits and they will run around in there like a rabbit unless your dogs really pressure them.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
The Garmin helps but we done it before we had them. Key is good handling dogs and dog control. Stay in front of the hounds, stopping at the crossings. It's like the ultimate chess match, you move then they move, vice-versa. I like to hunt with a t least a couple more people. I let them cover crossing on the opposite sides I'm on. I move and try to keep the deer turned, pushing the deer to them. Don't worry though sometimes the heat gets to hot and I get a shot. :p

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. Im looking to have about 3 faster speed long leg beagles. I think theyd be good for smaller tracts and better control, not as slow as small beagles but not burning it up like big dogs. I was thinking i could make a drop and watch the gps, figure out a direction and then try to cut them off. Glad to see how others do it. I really do wish we could run em in the western part of the state.

Buffet Trout

Twelve Pointer
Get out and wal
Get out and walk with them. Well that depends on terrain. Where we are it is mostly open and fairly mature pines with drainages (heads). The dogs hit those heads and something is going to move. When it is cold you move to clearcuts, you will jump them like rabbits and they will run around in there like a rabbit unless your dogs really pressure them.

you might end up a long way from the truck with a heavy deer if you just start walking

• Haha

timber

Twelve Pointer
I have killed deer over the years like that making a quick hunt by myself. But had a little advantage of hunting the same areas since late 60s. Here they tend to run the same crossings now as they did when i started hunting. Its a big help to know the blocks of woods. Alot of time depending on where they were jumped in the block of woods had good idea where they are going cross.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
you might end up a long way from the truck with a heavy deer if you just start walking
Where we hunt there aren’t many places you can’t access from one side or the other without being 6-700 yards from where you can get a vehicle. That is one of the good things about me not giving a crap about killing one. I wouldn’t drag a B&C deer 700 yards nowadays. You can bet when I pull the trigger on one I already have the logistics figured out about getting it out.