Deer hunting on Piedmont game lands

Inizimij

Button Buck
I need input on Rifle hunting deer on Piedmont public game lands. Which lands are productive, not over hunted, and accessible. Currently looking at Alcoa, Jordan, and Uwharrie . I have hunted the family farm in western NY since my teenage years. But moved to Charlotte 15 years ago. I do not know anyone who owns land here in NC. So I’m desperate enough to start looking at public land. But I know nothing about it and would like help to at least start scoutIng somewhere with promise. Any and all advice is welcome.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
See the thing is as soon as someone gives you answers to those questions on a public forum they become popular and unproductive.
Look on a map pick some spots and go check them out. You’ll get a better feel for things by personal experience than someone telling you the north end of Jordan is full of deer with empty trailheads.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If you are considering Jordon from Charlotte then I would look that distance into Sc. Mainly Chester and Lancaster area. You will have much more area to choose from, less crowding. And in the end I would bet wind up more successful.

Yes, the initial outlay for license is a little higher but it is worth it.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
I need input on Rifle hunting deer on Piedmont public game lands. Which lands are productive, not over hunted, and accessible. Currently looking at Alcoa, Jordan, and Uwharrie . I have hunted the family farm in western NY since my teenage years. But moved to Charlotte 15 years ago. I do not know anyone who owns land here in NC. So I’m desperate enough to start looking at public land. But I know nothing about it and would like help to at least start scoutIng somewhere with promise. Any and all advice is welcome.
Getting desperate enough for public, huh?
Why now after so long?

have you ever been hiking or biking on any National Forest since you’ve been here? They’re gamelands too.

You can’t have all three things you want on your list.

You can have productive and accessible, but it’s overhunted.

you can have zero hunting competition And great access, but zero productivity.

I like places with no competition, high productivity, and crappy to zero access.

Just get into your car and go physically walk both on and off trail at all the places you asked about in your post and make the decision for yourself on how it suits you and how you know to hunt.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
From experience as the hunted.. don’t point at people looking through your scope at them to get a better look[emoji23]
Don’t be shooting at deer on the ground running because you jumped one on the way in.... start with a stick bow, It makes me feel more comfortable to squirrel hunt during deer season.
[emoji3526]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Add harris gamelands to your list and you'll have a lifetime of deer to chase.
Check out the lastest NC sportsman report on NC gamelands.
my personal bias is that those that hunt gamelands dont consider ourselves desperate at all. Fortunate is a better term.

And dont overlook the sandhills gamelands. Those alone can keep you occupied for awhile. You're fifteen years behind, get rolling. :)

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Add harris gamelands to your list and you'll have a lifetime of deer to chase.
Check out the lastest NC sportsman report on NC gamelands.
my personal bias is that those that hunt gamelands dont consider ourselves desperate at all. Fortunate is a better term.

And dont overlook the sandhills gamelands. Those alone can keep you occupied for awhile. You're fifteen years behind, get rolling. :)

Never understood the infatuation with public land. It is universally ruined by.....the PUBLIC. The sheer amount of time and effort needed to be successful at it is ridiculous. Most people have to freakin work and can't take three days just to find out where the deer are after they've been blasted into being nocturnal by every yokel within a 10 mile radius. If I had to hunt public land exclusively...I would probably just quit hunting. Maybe my opinion will change after I retire and have days on end to trudge through swamps and cutovers after a 90lb doe.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Never understood the infatuation with public land. It is universally ruined by.....the PUBLIC. The sheer amount of time and effort needed to be successful at it is ridiculous. Most people have to freakin work and can't take three days just to find out where the deer are after they've been blasted into being nocturnal by every yokel within a 10 mile radius. If I had to hunt public land exclusively...I would probably just quit hunting. Maybe my opinion will change after I retire and have days on end to trudge through swamps and cutovers after a 90lb doe.
I would quit deer hunting anywhere if all i was going to kill was a doe. But that's just me. :)
Pressure this spring was intense on the GLs , maybe it sucks this fall as well with teleworkers and kids with more time to play.
But historically on all the gamelands the OP mentioned it's not the nightmare you describe. ime.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I would quit deer hunting anywhere if all i was going to kill was a doe. But that's just me. :)
Pressure this spring was intense on the GLs , maybe it sucks this fall as well with teleworkers and kids with more time to play.
But historically on all the gamelands the OP mentioned it's not the nightmare you describe. ime.
My guess the nightmare people speak of with public is how close the land is to population I know in mtns what lot people call pressure ain't really heavy pressure its lot guys driving roads and not going far because its steep. Now on flat land I don't doubt people get walked in on more

Ceehawk37

Ten Pointer
I’ll second the opinion on looking at SC public land. I lived in Charlotte for 5 years and have been successful on public ground in the Piedmont region but depending on where you live in Charlotte, SC has some options that are closer. If you can take off during the week to hunt, that will up your chances significantly. Only being able to hunt on Saturday leaves you at the mercy of the weather and other hunters. Scout as much as you can now and when the season gets rolling. It takes time and boot leather to learn any tract of public land. Once season goes out, that is the best time to really figure out some areas. You’ll be able to see the deer and human sign with no leaves on the trees and won’t have to worry about disturbing others. Lastly, the thicker cover is usually where you will have the best opportunities. There are a lot of “pretty” spots out there where you can see a long ways but pressured deer will stick close to thick cover. If you are able and comfortable using a climbing stand that will give you an advantage when hunting thick stuff. Get up the tree early and stay as long as you can. Public land is tough sometimes but it can be rewarding if you put your time in. Good luck!

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
You can’t have all three things you want on your list.

You can have productive and accessible, but it’s overhunted.

you can have zero hunting competition And great access, but zero productivity.

I like places with no competition, high productivity, and crappy to zero access.

This right here. I'll put some of my better public spots up against any private scenario. Just gotta know whats up. 😉

np307

Ten Pointer
Plenty of deer on all three of those. I've killed a couple on Uwharrie each of the last few years. I moved closer to Alcoa this year and plan on splitting my time between it and U. But unless you know how deer live and move (which, coming from a private hunting situation, you've probably never had to figure out ;) ) then it'll take you a couple of seasons to find deer. You might find someone generous enough to send you a private message with some help, but you sure aren't going to have people blowing up their spots on a public forum.

And to Tip's point, leases are expensive. Lots of acres on gamelands that my license gives me access to. It doesn't take that much effort to kill deer on public, just takes more effort than most yokels will put in. I run into very few people and I hunt tracts that get plenty of attention. Last year I killed a one deer in a spot I had been to once or twice while turkey hunting and another deer in a spot I had never been to before. Neither more than a mile in, both from the ground.

JoeH

Six Pointer
Well, I hunted Alcoa GL the first year I moved to Charlotte, on Opening Day of Rifle Season, and I can tell you I sure won’t do that again!!! Damn fools had me pinned down 360 degrees with gunshots till 11am. I felt like those poor slubs in that fort in Afghanistan.

If you go, you best spray paint your entire body in blaze orange!

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
It doesn't take that much effort to find deer on public land. I scout because I like being in the woods. Honestly, I could scout 1-2 days a year and still kill deer on public.
All it really takes is understanding how deer naturally use the environment, not just throwing out a bag of corn and sitting over it. If you have a basic understanding of deer habits, then you shouldn't have that much of an issue finding deer to shoot.
Where it gets tough is finding mature deer. That's a totally different ball game.

Inizimij

Button Buck
I am retired! So I guess it’s time to spend much more time scouting!

Inizimij

Button Buck
It doesn't take that much effort to find deer on public land. I scout because I like being in the woods. Honestly, I could scout 1-2 days a year and still kill deer on public.
All it really takes is understanding how deer naturally use the environment, not just throwing out a bag of corn and sitting over it. If you have a basic understanding of deer habits, then you shouldn't have that much of an issue finding deer to shoot.
Where it gets tough is finding mature deer. That's a totally different ball game.
Well I’m not against finding a trophy buck. But 2-3 year olds are mighty tender and I’m fine with that.

Inizimij

Button Buck
Well, I hunted Alcoa GL the first year I moved to Charlotte, on Opening Day of Rifle Season, and I can tell you I sure won’t do that again!!! Damn fools had me pinned down 360 degrees with gunshots till 11am. I felt like those poor slubs in that fort in Afghanistan.

If you go, you best spray paint your entire body in blaze orange!
Thanks for that insight!!!

Inizimij

Button Buck
Plenty of deer on all three of those. I've killed a couple on Uwharrie each of the last few years. I moved closer to Alcoa this year and plan on splitting my time between it and U. But unless you know how deer live and move (which, coming from a private hunting situation, you've probably never had to figure out ;) ) then it'll take you a couple of seasons to find deer. You might find someone generous enough to send you a private message with some help, but you sure aren't going to have people blowing up their spots on a public forum.

And to Tip's point, leases are expensive. Lots of acres on gamelands that my license gives me access to. It doesn't take that much effort to kill deer on public, just takes more effort than most yokels will put in. I run into very few people and I hunt tracts that get plenty of attention. Last year I killed a one deer in a spot I had been to once or twice while turkey hunting and another deer in a spot I had never been to before. Neither more than a mile in, both from the ground.
Thanks! Uwharrie is probably my first choice because of the size.
I’ll second the opinion on looking at SC public land. I lived in Charlotte for 5 years and have been successful on public ground in the Piedmont region but depending on where you live in Charlotte, SC has some options that are closer. If you can take off during the week to hunt, that will up your chances significantly. Only being able to hunt on Saturday leaves you at the mercy of the weather and other hunters. Scout as much as you can now and when the season gets rolling. It takes time and boot leather to learn any tract of public land. Once season goes out, that is the best time to really figure out some areas. You’ll be able to see the deer and human sign with no leaves on the trees and won’t have to worry about disturbing others. Lastly, the thicker cover is usually where you will have the best opportunities. There are a lot of “pretty” spots out there where you can see a long ways but pressured deer will stick close to thick cover. If you are able and comfortable using a climbing stand that will give you an advantage when hunting thick stuff. Get up the tree early and stay as long as you can. Public land is tough sometimes but it can be rewarding if you put your time in. Good luck!
thanks great advice. Hunting the family farm in NY we set up permanent tree stands and ground blinds. And moved around occasionally. Came away with a nice buck and my son got a good size doe!!! We saw literally hundreds of deer. Only a few close enough for responsible shot. But it is always fun to be in the woods!

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I hunt 50/50 public to private. I’m getting to where I enjoy hunting public land more. Opportunities are endless for anyone who is willing to put in a little work. I like challenges.... if it were easy I’d probably quit hunting.

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The best turkey hunting spot I’ve hunted is on public land,

A lot of birds and they are very vocal

And no I will never tell where it is haha,

I limit myself to one a season off that spot just because it has been so good to me last several years

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Deer.... meh .... nice time to be in the woods, a lot more work to deal with getting them out than turkeys or small game though, I like those young tender does close to the truck

Last edited:

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Three of my top 5 lifetime best bucks came off piedmont public gamelands. There's definitely a lot of competition these days, but if you seek those out of the way, walk the extra mile kind of places, it can pay off in a big way. It is a PITA to drag one out a long ways, but if you mix in a canoe, it can make getting off the beaten path easier. Floating a deer out in a boat beats dragging one any day.

I also had a guy mistake me for a deer in 1985 on Jordan gamelands. I'm lucky he was a bad shot. I had on an orange vest, but was carrying a Loc-On stand on my back that must have covered the vest. The guy was sitting on a rock around 100 yards away looking down a ridge trail with an open sighted lever action. He saw the movement & mistook my grey Tree Bark camo for a buck's coat. I was bent over checking out a scrape beside a trail, when small pine tree exploded about 18 inches in front of my head. That, and the sound of the rifle report freaked me out. I started yelling at him, & asked if he felt like dying today. I brought my rifle up to port arms and thought about shooting back. Instead, I ran down the opposite side of the ridge, then stopped to puke as I considered what almost happened. I ran out to the road and wrote down his vehicle license tag number with the point of a bullet on the tag I had left. That experience changed the way and the places I hunted on public land. I also started hunting a lot more on private land during gun season after that.

Jim

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I would look hard at Sandhills. Lots of land and the dog clubs will push deer on you. Some big bucks down on the Sandhills believe it or not.
Very few people still hunt out of stand on the Sandhills game land because they think the dogs will ruin there hunt.

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
Pack your dinner and hit the back roads around uwharrie,lots of little spots in a 20 mile radius of eldorado store that don’t get hunted any until thanksgiving

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
I meant to ask you yesterday.
what do you mean by productive?

what are you wanting to get out of hunting?

do You want to see lots deer and maybe shoot one, or, are you going to kill whatever comes by?

are you going to scout and find one buck to hunt all season or are you happy to shoot two spikes on opening day?

I only physically see 30-50 deer a season on public. I usually kill 4-6 of those. I hunt between 10 and 15 days but a lot of that time is dedicated to one or two bucks I’m trying to kill. This is over 5-6 counties. But I hike, Hunt, and scout the same land 10x that many days the rest of the year. If you’re out there, you’re gonna learn where stuff likes to live, eat, and get nasty.

Do hunt, or are you someone that goes hunting?
I know it seems like a silly question, but it carries a lot with it.

If you like really hunting for deer, gamelands may be perfect for you.

If you like going on a deer hunt a day or two a year, then a club or something may be better.

Last edited:

Ex Military

Eight Pointer
Just keep in mind if you join a club in say SC as i did, your out of state big game hunting license will be about $250 to $300. I live in Charlotte and joined a club in the Lancaster area.