Deer Flys

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
don't have so many deer flies down here,,,,but it's definitely yellow fly season,,,,

rough ones,,,even a good swat don't always kill,,,they swarm the head,,,,and for sure don't open your yap or you'll be spitting a fly!!

TH7

Eight Pointer

Posting this for the DIY trap, It works you can find videos of people doing it on YouTube. Tuff critters at least they are not as fast as house flys and you can whack them. If they get me good I swell up and wear it a good while.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Find a spider web, and stand underneath it.;)

Things I've learned about deer flies from my job.:
They like shady areas near water sources
They are attracted to movement. Stand still and you will notice their activity dissipates...but won't disappear.
They LOVE the side mirrows of a moving vehicle.
You can try deet and permethrin, but in my experiece deet doesnt' last long in our humid climate, and permethrin is too slow to do you any good.
I've actually been run out of areas near big streams due to hoards of these devils imps.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
those black plastic planters coated with stp motor oil treatment works great when hung up in the shade near where you are going to be. I've seen black balloons used as well.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
The flies on the doe are not deer flies but I have a solution y'all can help with.

Flies are bad here. Even my fly control is not as effective this year as in past but I bought traps to help. You baiters and trailcammers can put Starbar Captivator in the area to help.

1 HOUR
IMG_5029.JPG

24 HOURS
IMG_5045.JPG

48 HOURS
IMG_5051.JPG

Rubline

Twelve Pointer
The flies on the doe are not deer flies but I have a solution y'all can help with.

Flies are bad here. Even my fly control is not as effective this year as in past but I bought traps to help. You baiters and trailcammers can put Starbar Captivator in the area to help.

1 HOUR
View attachment 46644

24 HOURS
View attachment 46645

48 HOURS
View attachment 46646
Where can I find this product?
We're spending alot on fly spray for our horses, looks like this would help.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

1 HOUR
View attachment 46644

got that type (or similar) at three locations on my place,,,,yes house/manure/whatever they are really called flies are especially bad this year - dang tortoise house is a daily fight

lewis9378449

Four Pointer
I gave up on trying to fight them.

I went to the camping section at Walmart and bought about 6 of those nets that fit over your head. They probably call them mosquito nets but I'm not sure. i believe they were something like like $2 each. Anyway, I keep them in my truck and just slip one on when they start acting a fool. Just don't forget to pull it up over your mouth when you spit if you are a dipper :).

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
Here is a roughly 63 Hour update. I just added 2 more traps in the area in a big triangle so this trap may not get as much activity in the next 24 hours but we will see.

IMG_5062.JPG

Edited 36 to be 63 hours.

Last edited:

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
Those flies in the jars look like black or house flies? Yeller/deer flies are attracted to dark objects such as black mirrors on vehicles and black planter pots. . I wear light colored clothing and it seems to help. Oops, I think this comment may be racist. :rolleyes:

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
Those flies in the jars look like black or house flies? Yeller/deer flies are attracted to dark objects such as black mirrors on vehicles and black planter pots. . I wear light colored clothing and it seems to help. Oops, I think this comment may be racist. :rolleyes:

They are a mix of flies mostly what is called face flies and screw worm flies. I have seen a deer fly in the mix, knock on wood have seen very few so far this year.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
IMG_5158.JPG

I am emptying traps every 3-4 days and burning the remnants.

I conservatively estimate I've trapped 750,000 since the start. I'm catching more faster now that the traps are ripe, even attracting vultures. The occasional deer fly in the mix so it's still relevant 😉

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
Bwfarms,

Have you noticed a decline in numbers? Or do those traps lure more flies to the area? Just wondering where they should be placed to keep them away from animals.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
Bwfarms,

Have you noticed a decline in numbers? Or do those traps lure more flies to the area? Just wondering where they should be placed to keep them away from animals.

It's a catch 22. I could hang them 1000 yards from the water tanks and not catch many or I can put them right at the tank and what's on the cattle goes to the trap and not manure.

A typical year I might see half a dozen flies on each animal. I feed an IGR and put in fly tags. I suspect what happened but I don't have proof.

Have I had success with the traps. Yes. Is it eradicated? No, but that means there is now 5 million less flies not born. I estimate there were 5-600 flies per animal, now there is 50-100 per animal. I ordered a bunch more traps but have not received them. I was planning to space them in all loafing areas.

Placement should be out of reach of animals. I have some traps up in trees about 7' with success but 4' in sunlight/shade mix is best location.