Deer corn and turkeys?

Triggernosis

Ten Pointer
Is there any way to keep turkeys from eating all the corn I plan to put out next year to attract deer? The farm I hunt on has a huge flock and thriving population of turkeys.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Is there any way to keep turkeys from eating all the corn I plan to put out next year to attract deer? The farm I hunt on has a huge flock and thriving population of turkeys.
They won’t get it all. I heard that they would not touch Walmart corn.

I can’t confirm as I have no turkeys and don’t use Walmart corn.

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Many of the local farmers will let you pick them up in there fields after they harvest them. They leave the smaller ones.

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Contact local farmers that grow them or a wholesaler and ask for culls. I think the place we got them from was something like $20 a bin. Dont know about year round availability we only feed during the season. May take a while for the deer to get use to them but once they start theyll hit them hard.

couple of bins will fill an old trailer and then we just put them out as needed. Chop em up when you put them out and the deer will smell them.
20211129_132018.jpg

Last edited:

NCbowjunkie

Ten Pointer
Don’t know if this works but a few upstate SC hunters told me that they soak the corn in salt water before putting out and turkey will not mess with it

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Back in late 70's when we first started using corn to attract deer, we would soak it in a bucket of water for a few days and it would swell up...go to smelling...deer loved it. Guy came in the club house one day with a bucket of it and everyone started using it....why? Because if you did not use it no deer to be seen....times haven't changed either.

Triggernosis

Ten Pointer
If you want help thinning the flock I would be more than willing to help.
I would love to have folks come shoot some; unfortunately, the landowner doesn't let anyone else hunt on his land except for myself. And I don't hunt turkeys either. 😔

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I would love to have folks come shoot some; unfortunately, the landowner doesn't let anyone else hunt on his land except for myself. And I don't hunt turkeys either. 😔
i believe your most positive approach to this is to change that don't to a do. :)
You might think they are too easy after watching them scarf up corn but in the spring things change a bit.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Put out acorns out by the corn and they won't touch your corn. They'll gooble, yes pun lol, the acorns up.

Shine

Six Pointer
Contributor
Obviously don’t push the land owners request but you could probably work some friends in the mix if you can prove their safety and ethical hunting abilities. Also if you know a turkey hunter ask if you could invite him to just call for you and maybe get his foot in the door too. Turkey hunting is a lot of fun. I have taken a couple of people on their first hunts and when you get a bird fired up and coming in it’s a great show and funny watching people shaking like crazy. I recall one friend couldn’t even pull the trigger because he was shaking and speechless after the bird got so close. Give the turkeys a try. What I normally see though too is birds in the fall aren’t usually in the same spot at much come springs.

Triggernosis

Ten Pointer
Obviously don’t push the land owners request but you could probably work some friends in the mix if you can prove their safety and ethical hunting abilities. Also if you know a turkey hunter ask if you could invite him to just call for you and maybe get his foot in the door too. Turkey hunting is a lot of fun. I have taken a couple of people on their first hunts and when you get a bird fired up and coming in it’s a great show and funny watching people shaking like crazy. I recall one friend couldn’t even pull the trigger because he was shaking and speechless after the bird got so close. Give the turkeys a try. What I normally see though too is birds in the fall aren’t usually in the same spot at much come springs.
We - the landowner and I - have been through that before. Due to some jackwagon that another family member allowed to hunt, who then acted like he owned the place and started bringing disrespectful friends along and generally making an ass of himself, the whole family said "no more!" and stopped everyone but myself. That's because I'm very close to the family and have gone out of my way in the past to help them during some difficult situations. Plus, I help out on the farm and with the cows on occasion.