deer backstrap recipe

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
in the suburbs of Seoul and in small towns all over the country the Bulgogi joints are outdoors eating (with a roof) where you stand at a 55 gallon barrel with coals in it, a large wok type pan on top and a "stand" next to it where they put the marinated meat and banchan (sides),,, ya throw the meat in the pan and flip/stir as you want to doneness,,, then chow,,, throwing back shots of soju as you went,,,,

ahhh,,, the memories,,,
I'm sure your experience was a bit different from mine but man was that good. Is there anything close to it in nc that you know?
really, any authentic foreign food around nc..🤣
so much of it is just fast food anymore.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Please don’t have new hunters or people there wishing to try venison for the first time if you’re gonna serve it past med rare. It’s not fair to them.

My only suggestion would be something like a cubed steak. Put enough gravy on it so you cant taste it being over cooked.

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
You can cut it up small(pieces about 1/2" thick&wide and about 1-1/2" long), toss in House Autry Seafood batter, and cook to taste on stove top. If you keep the grease from bacon and such, heat a tablespoon or two until bubbling, add about a much flour, stir in until no crumbles, then add milk. Heat to quick boil, reduce to simmer(while stirring) and you've got a pretty good gravy.

v8stang289

Twelve Pointer
I cook it a few different ways, but overcooking it is about the worst thing you can do.

Salt, pepper, garlic, onion, and smoke or grill indirect until ~140* internal
or
rub with spices (I use a pork rub I make, but you can use whatever) wrap with bacon, and smoke over pecan till ~140* internal
or
butterfly or cut a hole through the middle, stuff with cream cheese and sliced jalapenos, rub or salt/pepper outside (Bacon wrap if desired) and smoke or grill indirect until ~140* internal

I usually cook it like this a few times a year, smoking it over pecan, and it gets gone quick. But if you go much beyond 140* in my opinion, you might as well be making jerky.
I like beef medium, but generally a backstrap needs to be rarer

129081034_2812407189086875_3314592456696220287_n.jpg

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Merged the posts from your other 'backstraps' thread on the deer forum. There were lots of suggestions in that thread about cooking them. Figured it might help to have them all in once place.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I could do that. Medium on the inside and well on the outside. I'm sure that has been my problem in the past probably. I've tried wrapping it in bacon and putting it the oven for a bit and it didn't come out or just using seasoning and putting it in the oven for a bit and still didn't taste rite. Was tough so i suppose i over cooked it. I guess i could put it on the grill with some kind of seasoning for a time the same day i harvest it and see how that works.
I think your dislike for rareness is at odds with grilling the meat, unless you do the jalapeno popper recipe.

I'd slice it in half long ways (butterfly, basically) so the strips are thin, then cook it in a frying pan. I'd bread it myself, but with the right seasonings you might be able to have it like you would a pork chop in a skillet.

v8stang289

Twelve Pointer
Update since I cooked one today.
sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and a little cumin and paprika.
let it marinate overnight if possible, take it out of the fridge about an hour before putting it on the grill.
I like to smoke mine over pecan at 225*, but you can just grill it too.
Indirect heat until internal temp is 140*
I'll usually switch to direct heat around 130* so I can get a sear on the outside, but either way, pull at 140*
Let it rest for a few minutes, slice and serve.
Even my picky 7 year old loves it like this.

Snapchat-455756510.jpg

Snapchat-674458972.jpg

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
<I know some of you fellows like it rare enough where it will walk off the plate, but that meat is perfectly done to me. Suggestion for what it is worth: cut that loin diagonally very thin w/ a filet knife & it will melt in your mouth.