deer backstrap recipe

Cyperry

Ten Pointer
Contributor
If I were you and only cared for it cooked through….

slice thin
Season (salt and pepper are hard to beat if you want to taste what you’re cooking
dip in butter milk
Dredge in flower
Flash fry in hot oil (pan or deep)

This is how mama fixed it growing up. It’s fantastic, plain and simple.

Now, if you’d like to get a little adventurous….

Cut into steaks (about 4 per strap)
Generously cover in truffle oil ( painting it on works great)
Season with salt and pepper
On a grill at 600…. For medium well, I’d brush them with oil again halfway to protect it. Probably 4 minutes a side. I do them rare, and it’s about 1.5 a side.

I don’t know your palate, so the last method may or may not trip your trigger, but for those who like flavor and the joys of red meat, give it a shot.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Lot ways to fix it buy in my house 99% time its fried with onions and eat for supper with leftovers in AM on biscuits. Fresh if fan but save some for holiday meal lot times

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
Picked up some ribeyes again yesterday. What's the best way to cook them? Marinade in Italian dressing and then grill or cut up, roll in flour and fry and make gravy? The wife won't touch them and goes straight to the venison backstraps. Give her a cow steak and you will see here discretely slide it under the table one piece at a time and give it to the dogs. But give her a plate of grilled deer hearts or dove breasts and you better keep your fingers to yourself because you're apt to lose them. For a city girl that grew up just outside DC it's quite amazing. ;)

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
I like to age my deer skin on hanging in an upright drink cooler for about 5 days but sometimes early archery season I may have to cut one up and put it on ice and it gets sampled. Like its already been said sliced thin and fried in bacon grease with salt,pepper and garlic powder. To me it's like frying that first squash you get out of the garden, the first pan full gets eaten while you fry the second pan full

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Ok. What about medium well ?
I typically fry mine on the stove. I get house autry seasoning, soak in milk or buttermilk, then seasoning, and fry in hot oil. My preference is rare but you don't like rare meat. I've let it get away from me before and eaten it well done and it tastes good that way too. I make a sriracha mayo sauce to dip in sometimes too.

I love backstraps but am ambivalent about them on the grill, easy to dry out.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I typically fry mine on the stove. I get house autry seasoning, soak in milk or buttermilk, then seasoning, and fry in hot oil. My preference is rare but you don't like rare meat. I've let it get away from me before and eaten it well done and it tastes good that way too. I make a sriracha mayo sauce to dip in sometimes too.

I love backstraps but am ambivalent about them on the grill, easy to dry out.

spot on

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Salt, Pepper cook in butter till rare.

100.webp

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I suggest sticking with chicken if wanting anything over medium rare. Or just wear a blindfold for the first few till you get the taste. 😁

I prefer to grill my straps whole. marinade with whatever you like but I find salt pepper and garlic to work well. hot grill, seared all sides. this will give you several different temps on the meat due to thickness.

if you have too burn it, you might just want to make jerky. backstrap sliced thin makes great jerky. (I was brought up in a home with a bad cook)🤣

DADOGG14

Eight Pointer
Yea, I cant eat it rare.
Mind over matter. My in-laws wanted everything well done till they started eating my cooking. Doesn’t matter now wether it’s wild game( which 95% of the time it is) or store bought beef they won’t even touch anyone over medium rare now. You just need to give it a try like those ways listed above. If you need to cook it over medium then you didn’t cook it right from the get go. Keep trying

Clark

Ten Pointer
Had backstrap last night, Dales, med-rare or better on the grill. Other one will be tonight. Spanish dfrosting in the fridge for tomorrow.
Got to get the fish/venison out of the freezer with the seasons coming up.

Ex Military

Eight Pointer
Had backstrap last night, Dales, med-rare or better on the grill. Other one will be tonight. Spanish dfrosting in the fridge for tomorrow.
Got to get the fish/venison out of the freezer with the seasons coming up

Got to get the fish/venison out of the freezer with the seasons coming up.
Very good.

jopel

Four Pointer
Contributor
Normally a salt,pepper,butter guy but did these in dales wrapped in bacon smoked them to rare then brushed on sweet baby rays and smoked for a bit longer. Incredible

Attachments

• 20210502_175747.jpg
    20210502_175747.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210502_194003.jpg
    20210502_194003.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 6

Quackman

Twelve Pointer
The past couple years I have been experimenting with aging my loins and backstraps. 20 days vacuum sealed in the fridge is my new minimum for grilling or pan searing. Last week I had a chunk of backstrap that sat for 31 days and was absolutely amazing. I have gone as long as 40 days but think anything over 25 your not really gaining much tenderness.

Ex Military

Eight Pointer
The past couple years I have been experimenting with aging my loins and backstraps. 20 days vacuum sealed in the fridge is my new minimum for grilling or pan searing. Last week I had a chunk of backstrap that sat for 31 days and was absolutely amazing. I have gone as long as 40 days but think anything over 25 your not really gainingOk
The past couple years I have been experimenting with aging my loins and backstraps. 20 days vacuum sealed in the fridge is my new minimum for grilling or pan searing. Last week I had a chunk of backstrap that sat for 31 days and was absolutely amazing. I have gone as long as 40 days but think anything over 25 your not really gaining much tenderness.
Ok. Thank

Ex Military

Eight Pointer
Hello. I've tried different ways to cook backstraps but just can't get it to come out rite. Can somebody help out here ? I want to eat it the same day i harvest it. Is there a particular way to prepare it and eat it the same day. Keep in mind, i can't eat it rare, or even medium rare. Thanks.

ncscrubmaster

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Its still not bad at medium. I dont like to eat it if its still running through the woods. I usually grill mine with seasoning on the outside. I do make sure my grill is really hot to seal in the juices. I brown mine up real quick and the wrap in foil to finish. That way after you slice it you have some juice to pour over it. Remember it will continue to cook some after you take it off. I might get ban for this but you also can make stew meat out of them. You could put it in the insta pot with the beef stew packet from the grocery store and it is good too.

Attachments

• 20201206_170549.jpg
    20201206_170549.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 5

Ex Military

Eight Pointer
Its still not bad at medium. I dont like to eat it if its still running through the woods. I usually grill mine with seasoning on the outside. I do make sure my grill is really hot to seal in the juices. I brown mine up real quick and the wrap in foil to finish. That way after you slice it you have some juice to pour over it. Remember it will continue to cook some after you take it off. I might get ban for this but you also can make stew meat out of them. You could put it in the insta pot with the beef stew packet from the grocery store and it is good too.

Ex Military

Eight Pointer
When you grill it, how long do you leave it on there ?