Deer and moon phase

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Some info for you guys to think about for next season

"Adult buck movement rates are influenced by…
Not moon phase! There’s a lot of hype in the white-tail world about hunting during certain moon phases. We’ve seen all manner of explanations for this, but the data don’t support those claims. Several studies have looked at moon phase and deer movement, but at the end of the day, moon phase has never been shown to be a significant predictor of movement rates.

“But what about the TIME OF DAY that deer move in relation to moon phase?” Well, here you go. Again, the data speak for themselves – there’s no consistent, general pattern between moon phase and the time-of-day bucks are moving. Indeed, there are subtle differences from day-to-day in the average distance bucks are moving, but the differences are relatively small and appear to have no relationship to moon phase. The overwhelming pattern is that changes in buck movements correspond to phase of the rut.
What this graph does tell us, though, is that midday sits can be very productive. Morning (3hr after sunrise) sees the greatest movement, followed by midday (11am-2pm), and afternoon (3hr before sunset). So during the rut, don’t feel too bad about sleeping in and hitting the woods late morning!"

moon phase.jpg
movement times.jpg

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Who wrote the narrative interpreting the data?
And If "they" say that movement is most influenced by phase of the rut then they can now tell us the dates of each phase of the rut?
I dont know much of anyone that is writing or allowing as to how moon phase is key to anything except supposedly "triggering the rut.
now we do have a fresh wave of moon position theorists, but all they are doing is revamping ancient solunar theories. and selling you a table. :)

Last edited:

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
Interesting. I assumed the further south you go the less likely that lunar phases would affect deer. Charles Alzheimer says his data was good to the 35th parallel.

SKnox

Six Pointer
The full moon makes longer day light. Just my way of thinking and observation . My dad raised whitetail deer in western nc for 20 years. I like to hunt around the full moon in oct. nov, and dec. Or when I get daylight pictures of bucks.

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
I dont believe much in moon phase as much as the amount of moonlight that is available. The week before and after the full moon I see more activity in evening hunts and I believe the deer start moving earlier because the moon is too bright after it's up overhead. Plus I dont see deer in open fields when the moon is bright as much as a dark night. Just my observation not scientific evidence at all. May just be where I hunt

SKnox

Six Pointer
When I was young I liked to look at pictures of deer taped or pinned up in stores that checked in deer, One day a older man said to me I see your studying those dates wrote at the bottom of the pictures. I was just looking at those bucks. But I sure started studying from then on.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The full moon makes longer day light. Just my way of thinking and observation . My dad raised whitetail deer in western nc for 20 years. I like to hunt around the full moon in oct. nov, and dec. Or when I get daylight pictures of bucks.

When you start getting photos of 2 yos in the daylight.....you’re “close”.

That’s when it’s about to happen. That’s not when it “might be” or “could be”. I haven’t checked a moon phase (to instigate whether or not I hunt)......ever....but, I rarely hunt - outside the rut, anymore.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I get daylight pictures of 2 year olds the entire season.

Let me rephrase, then.

When you start getting daylight photos of 2.5 yos....in your doe haunts....during deer season.

I get photos of all ages of bucks all times of day.....at mineral licks, during the summer. But, I don’t hunt, during the summer, and that information does me zero good.