Deer age?

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
As old as he will ever be....lol. Very hard to tell from that pic for me.

sent from...... Tapatalk

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Deer weighed 200 lbs. not a good pic. Mountain deer, not ag deer. Not disagreeing but horns not always the tell all...
I may be totally lost but are mountain deer heavier than ag. deer. Never heard that comparison. His chest makes me think he is 3.5 or less. Hard to tell by pic. Congrats on a fine buck

Jmcdevitt

Button Buck
I may be totally lost but are mountain deer heavier than ag. deer. Never heard that comparison. His chest makes me think he is 3.5 or less. Hard to tell by pic. Congrats on a fine buck
I really am not trying to start a war. I have hunted in areas where deer have opportunity with soil nutrients to reach better horn growth. Just curious as to what others thought. Seems like around here WNC in right areas there are massive rack deer but see a lot of big bodied older deer with funky racks. And I get genetics too. I am not a horn hunter I just try to shoot more mature deer. 2 in the freezer usually does, have not killed a buck in 3 seasons till now.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'm generally pretty skeptical about age. Most show a picture with just the right angle to support their narrative.

That being said, I think the buck in the photo is a 3 yr old. He might be older, but I don't see younger.

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Don't know how old he is, but looks like a perfect shot. Bow, gun, details? Congratulations on a clean kill.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Cut his mouth back to the jaw and take a few pictures. I can get an answer to your question pretty quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk