Decline in churches

DFisher

Eight Pointer
Not all churches are seeing a decline. Ours is growing and are fixing to expand. Ee don't talk about tithing much. Like every church, a few do, but most don't. Can't force people to give money.

And i truly believe we need to be in church, hypocrites or not. We need to share our relationship with like-minded people in order to grow our relationship with christ and others. That doesn't work as well when you are by yourself.

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I would like to think this goes without saying;

Church numbers (on the books or in the pews) in and of itself means very little. There are a number of good and bad reasons why a church can experience growth or just the opposite with a diminishing congregation. Some churches grow because they're accommodating and "inclusive" (of Lesbians & Homosexuals, for example) even if it violates Biblical teaching. I attended a VERY large and popular church a few times where the Bible was seldom cracked or hardly quoted by the Pastor.

In contrast, I suspect most churches are in decline because they're spiritually dead. I know that's what I've experienced most of my adult life. I once knew a gifted and Godly man (RIP) whose comment summarizes what is too often the case these days; "Most Pastors in the pulpit these days are Momma called and Daddy sent ..."

I'm afraid there isn't much going to happen (for the Kingdom or the Body of believers) when this unfortunate truth applies to church leadership.

Last edited:

DFisher

Eight Pointer
Churches can grow for the right reasons. While ours is, and not by accepting today's acceptances, and by preaching and teaching the Bible, I pray the Lord not let us mess this up!

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Thought this might be relevant to the disco.

Many of the points she raised are relevant because it highlights the crux of the matter; people want God in a box (their box) or not at all.

All religions (and far too many so called Christian denominations) are nothing but at attempt to experience God on conditional terms contrived to suit the individual.

The absolute truth about anything is - by its very nature - exclusive, and I'm afraid that leaves no room for subjective beliefs or inclusiveness for its own sake.

True Christianity is about having a relationship with God through His Son, Jesus. He made us that way so we would all have the capacity (through His grace) to recognize the truth when exposed to it. Religion (which is nothing but man-made traditions fueled by self-effort) will never have the capacity to fill the void that only God can fill.

If you want to do it YOUR WAY, pick any "religion" you like ..... they're all the same and will lead you to the same end.

rrednek

Button Buck
Many of the points she raised are relevant because it highlights the crux of the matter; people want God in a box (their box) or not at all.

All religions (and far too many so called Christian denominations) are nothing but at attempt to experience God on conditional terms contrived to suit the individual.

The absolute truth about anything is - by its very nature - exclusive, and I'm afraid that leaves no room for subjective beliefs or inclusiveness for its own sake.

True Christianity is about having a relationship with God through His Son, Jesus. He made us that way so we would all have the capacity (through His grace) to recognize the truth when exposed to it. Religion (which is nothing but man-made traditions fueled by self-effort) will never have the capacity to fill the void that only God can fill.

If you want to do it YOUR WAY, pick any "religion" you like ..... they're all the same and will lead you to the same end.
What did Paul mean when he said that he became all things to all men?

1 Corinthians 9:19: “For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win the more; 20 and to the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might win Jews; to those who are under the law, as under the law, that I might win those who are under the law; 21 to those who are without law, as without law (not being without law toward God, but under law toward Christ), that I might win those who are without law; 22 to the weak I became as weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. 23 Now this I do for the gospel's sake, that I may be partaker of it with you.”

What did Paul mean that he became all things to all men for evangelism? This is his summation after he describes his goal and those people whom he wanted to reach.
He adapted his teaching to their thought in their culture to reach them. He divides the world into the religious with the law, (Jews) and the Gentiles, without the law.

nhn2a

Six Pointer
Our pastor recently said there are approximately 6000 churches that close every year her in the US. Seemed shocking to me but makes me wonder how many are created each year also.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
My wife and I have been visiting different churches for a couple of years now. We have not made any single church a home. We still have our membership at our churches before we were married. We tithe at the different churches we are attending.

We have not found one that we really like. It’s very similar to politics. Some are very progressive and others have been very conservative.

The one we have attended most has a Thursday night service. That has really been helpful.

Shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
My wife and I have been visiting different churches for a couple of years now. We have not made any single church a home. We still have our membership at our churches before we were married. We tithe at the different churches we are attending.

We have not found one that we really like. It’s very similar to politics. Some are very progressive and others have been very conservative.

The one we have attended most has a Thursday night service. That has really been helpful.
Some very good friends of mine were going to covenant in greenville. They attended there for 15 years but left because it got to the point all they ever did was ask for money for something.

They started a new church and on their second visit the preacher had been removed. Turns out he was having an affair with another member of the church.

They no longer have a church. She does bible studies and her kids and husband do when they can. They didnt need a church to have a relationship with god. I think that is also happening more and more.

nontypical

Six Pointer
We can get on this forum and give testimony, we can get on other news outlets and give testimony in the comments section. 1 hour per week sitting in a pew is great but we need to do more. Read some of the comments on fox news anytime God or Jesus is mentioned. I didn’t realize how many atheists were out there. They ain’t afraid to voice their opinions. We believers need to be louder.