Decided to be spontaneous Saturday

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
We got Jackson out again for the last day of grouse Our usual spots that hold birds consistently were packed with other hunters and dogs, so we went elsewhere. No problem tho...I hope they got on some! By far the most rabbit dogs I’ve heard/seen out there too. They were burnin it up. No birds for us today. We made some progress though. It’s been increasingly easier to tell when he’s on a deer track. I was really pleased how responsive he was today. Had one deer about 40yds in front of us. He smelled it but hadn’t seen it yet. I have one quick yell and he broke off it and came back. He worked 3 or 4 other deer tracks and it was the same thing. Soon as I called to him, he stopped working it. We had one area that seemed pretty hot . He got into his slow methodical belly-to-the-ground “bird walk” . We didn’t come up with anything tho. I carried the gun for the visual aspect and he didn’t pay it any mind. At the end of the day some guys had their beagles running rabbits a few hundred yards away and they fired 3 shots(oppose slope of a ridge and firing opposite direction). Jackson noticed it and stiffened up for a bit so we gave him some reassurance and he was good to go. It’s interesting, I get hopeful that he gets on a bird for his sake but just being out there watching him doing his thing is satisfying enough.