Dawson Creek Fishing

GUP

Eight Pointer
Planning to take the boat down to Dawson Creek this coming weekend.
Putting in at the WRC ramp there. Any tips on tackle bait etc for that area to catch drum trout or whatever’s biting now?
My saltwater fishing experience comes in the form of surf fishing and piers. Done plenty of that my whole life. Just getting our feet wet with inshore fishing from a boat. Did Rose Bay, Pungo River and Pantego Creek last year on a couple of trips. Had some decent luck. Small drum and a few keeper trout and flounder. It was Sept season so we did keep a couple.
Just general advice on what to look for while out there and methods used. Don’t need any certain “spot” lol. We’re not green but definitely beginners. Appreciate any info.

GUP

Eight Pointer
Will also mention we’d like to try for some of those big drum. Never caught one.

Redheadduck

Eight Pointer
It's been a few years since I've run to that side of the river, but most of those creeks hold plenty of fish. Zman shads and gulp shrimp on 1/16 or 1/8 ounce jig heads would be a good starting point. I'd fish dawson's just like I was bass fishing, fish the laid down trees and docks. Keep in mind most of all the creeks off the river get pretty grassy towards the back of them. As for old drum, cut bait on the bottom around the lighthouse shoal or garbacon shoal after dark is the simplest way to catch one.

Triggernosis

Ten Pointer
Right at the bridge over Dawson Creek is known hotspot for speckled trout in the fall. Plastic grubs and Mirro-Lures of whatever flavor those finicky sonsabitches prefer at the hour you're fishing.

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
I typically put a white soft plastic (sometimes a shrimp live or artificial) under a popping cork and have at it. I’ll throw all the MRs, Paul Browns, etc and have caught a lot of fish doing it, but the popping cork will fill a cooler almost every time.